The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > 11 Things About Star Trek That Make You Go WTF? - Spoilers!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2009, 10:37 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhaige View Post
...in life there are no coincidences
Ecclesiastes 9:11
"...but time and chance happen to them all"
Old 05-11-2009, 10:37 AM
Midshipman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpeoccasio View Post
11. Kirk's clown hands. Did we really need that?

10. Letting Willy Wonka design the engine room.

9. That whole plot point about how using the planetary drill thing (suspended improbably by what looks like a mega-huge strand of barbed wire) conveniently disrupts transporter beams and communication.

8. Mining ships of the future have enough weaponry to destroy a Starfleet armada. What exactly are they mining? (Yes, we know there is an explanation for this in the prequel comic, but if you need to read the comic to explain the movie, that's a problem. Would explaining it to the movie audience have been that difficult?)

7. Uhura casually tells her roommate that she translated a mysterious message detailing the destruction of a Klingon fleet by a large, Romulan ship, but fails to inform her captain until he's about to fly into a trap.

6. If he's getting so much action, why can't one of Spock's emotions be, you know, kinda happy? Why so dour, my Vulcan friend?

5. Rowdy officers must be jettisoned off the ship in life pods and left on ice planets. Apparently the brig was broken?

4. It's OK, though, because if you do that, the person in the life pod will manage to land right next to THE ONLY OTHER PERSON ON THE PLANET who has also been stranded there.

3. The bridge is the best place to bring suspected saboteurs. OK, this is actually a time-honored Trek tradition. But still.

2. If you accidentally get sent back 25 more than 150 years in time, it's better to take revenge on the person who was unable to save your planet than to actually, you know, TRY TO SAVE YOUR PLANET!

1. The random Star Wars and Cloverfield-like monsters appearing for no particular reason.

http://scifiwire.com/2009/05/11-thin...-star-trek.php

12. If just a drop of the red matter will destory a planet, why in the heck are they carring around gallons of it?

13. All the star wars similarities.
13A) Both have Ice worlds
13B) Both have large black ship capable of destorying planets
13C) Both destroy 1 peace loving planet.
13D) Both have a prisoner that needs rescued
13E) Both torture their prioners.
13F) On the ice planet the hero is saved by his buddy in both movies.
13G) The hero's buddy leave / wants no part of fighting the planet destorying ship, but comes around in the end.
13H) The buddy is in love with the girl.
13I) That weird creature with Scotty looked like that creature with Lando on the Falcon in Return of the Jedi.

14) Transporter beam can now beam 1/2 across the solar system?
Old 05-11-2009, 10:41 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigueldaRican View Post
Higher Authority does not mean know-all. "I'm just a cadet, I know 2 languages", "Well, I'm Captain, so I know 8." Doesn't exactly work that way.
What? Are you actually trying to create an in universe reason why a Captain of a Starship doesn't know something a cadet does? This has nothing to do with knowing languages. It has EVERYTHING to do with an organization like Starfleet receiving and disseminating intelligence to the people that matter. Let's see, Vulcan is attacked and the fact that the Klingons just lost a FLEET is NOT shared with the Captains going to help Vulcan?? Either Uhura hacked into a top secret communication and was the only one able to translate it, or Starfleet is really stupid.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:44 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
No. We don't need any comedy in this movie. It has to be 100% serious. All work and no play makes this a true Trek movie.

*sigh*

Nice touch. I've heard Budweiser factory, but yours is original.

What are you driving at? What did the convenience allow for? Nevermind I think I know. You're accusing them of throwing that in there so they can do some cool sky diving stunts, right? And Star Trek has never done this before, has it...

Remember this:

"Emergency plan... B."
"Plan B?"
"B! As in Barricade!"

You are right, that is one of my major criticisms for this movie that there are quite a few things (like Red Matter, Nero's motivation, and why he's pissed at Spock) which it almost seems like Abrams & co. is expecting everyone to read the comic.

If they didn't want to go into the whole thing you were just talking about here they could have had Scotty or some other engineer comment on it by saying, "Well, it looks like a mining ship of some sort, but with really advanced technology. The peculiar thing is the front. It doesn't look like it's original to the ship. The two sections look very alien to each other."

It's okay if a movie doesn't have all the answers as long as the characters at least express the same concern we have.

Because she didn't hear anything at all. No Romulan voices, no Klingon voices, no human voices. When she informed the captain of this the captain realized too late what they were flying into.

Why so dour? He just lost a home planet and his mother! When Uhurah was kissing him she seemed to be comforting him as well. Seeing her soldier off so to speak. At the end of the film, I actually kind of got a lighter attitude when young Spock and old Spock were meeting.

Kirk's been nothing but trouble for Spock while he's on the ship. The brig being on the ship probably isn't good enough for Spock since he wasn't supposed to be on the ship anyway. I'll say again, he wasn't supposed to be on the ship. Logic: get him off the ship.

Life's full of coincidences. Your complaint is about how unrealistic this seems. But in reality such coincidences happen all the time.

Not gonna really argue with this one, you got it on your second sentence.

Another "you have to read the comic" moment they should have at least put in. They could have fit the bit about Spock and Nero going before Vulcan High Council and being rejected, followed by Spock promising Nero to get it done somehow anyway, followed by Nero saying, "Fine, but if you fail, Vulcan dies" (paraphrasing what he said). That would have been valuable information there.

They were there as obstacles. Just because they didn't deal with the main Nero plot doesn't mean they don't have purpose in this movie.

And people need to stop with the Star Wars bullcrap. This was not the Star Wars hybrid everyone was afraid of.
Interesting. They had to make a comic book to explain the errors of Abramsprise. And how many people will buy the comic book? Ok paramount explain why a comic book had to be made to defend the mistakes of this movie?
Old 05-11-2009, 10:50 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

11. Kirk's clown hands. Did we really need that?

re:Yes! that was DAMN funny! "numbtongue? I can fix that!" lol

10. Letting Willy Wonka design the engine room.

re:Nope actually it was a budwieser brewery... but still worked..

9. That whole plot point about how using the planetary drill thing (suspended improbably by what looks like a mega-huge strand of barbed wire) conveniently disrupts transporter beams and communication.

re:Things conveniently happen all the time in trek.. warp speed time travel? it is fantasy...

8. Mining ships of the future have enough weaponry to destroy a Starfleet armada. What exactly are they mining? (Yes, we know there is an explanation for this in the prequel comic, but if you need to read the comic to explain the movie, that's a problem. Would explaining it to the movie audience have been that difficult?)

re:Why? it is from what at that point 140-50 years in the future? have you seen what cars looked like 150 years ago? umm.. wait.. yes VERY plausible!

7. Uhura casually tells her roommate that she translated a mysterious message detailing the destruction of a Klingon fleet by a large, Romulan ship, but fails to inform her captain until he's about to fly into a trap.

re:What does klingon ships have to do with the daily going-ons of a starship? If every little tidbit of information is rushed to the captain he would go insane... unless it applies to what is happening at the time...IE flying torwards a (unknown at the time) trap.. and actually kirk tells him and she confirms..

6. If he's getting so much action, why can't one of Spock's emotions be, you know, kinda happy? Why so dour, my Vulcan friend?

re:umm his planet has been destroyed and mother killed.. Dour indeed..

5. Rowdy officers must be jettisoned off the ship in life pods and left on ice planets. Apparently the brig was broken?

re:Further proof that he was emotionally compromised..but if you leave insurrectionists just laying around..

4. It's OK, though, because if you do that, the person in the life pod will manage to land right next to THE ONLY OTHER PERSON ON THE PLANET who has also been stranded there.

re:In the future technology has not evolved to give a LIFE POD the ability to try to place its inhabitants next to (but not too close)to other inhabitants?so they can actually either get to help or asses the locals to see if they are hostile? would make sense no?

3. The bridge is the best place to bring suspected saboteurs. OK, this is actually a time-honored Trek tradition. But still.

re:Once the security team got there.. they (as well as everyone in the theater) could see that it was the first officer and another unarmed man....

2. If you accidentally get sent back 25 more than 150 years in time, it's better to take revenge on the person who was unable to save your planet than to actually, you know, TRY TO SAVE YOUR PLANET!

re:His mission was to save his planet (which was not IN danger at that time..) so with time to spare (and being well you know.. INSANE) he opted for revenge.. (which is best served cold i hear..)

1. The random Star Wars and Cloverfield-like monsters appearing for no particular reason.

re:There are NO aliens in STAR TREK????? Or Creatures on planets? What the heck are we doin out here anyways??

Silly rabbit.. Trek is for adventure.. overcoming insane trials and tribulations and yet still learning from our mistakes and most of all FUN.. You people are making trek no fun anymore.. Move along... these are not the problems we are looking for.....

A couple of other points... Some people think the bridge looks more advanced than the enterprise-e How do we know? We have not SEEN the enterprise-e from THIS timeline.. and.. kirk was "born" in iowa ..not in THIS timeline.. I think the stress from a romulan attack would more than be enough to cause early labor..

Last edited by Spock : 05-11-2009 at 11:29 AM.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:55 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
What? Are you actually trying to create an in universe reason why a Captain of a Starship doesn't know something a cadet does? This has nothing to do with knowing languages. It has EVERYTHING to do with an organization like Starfleet receiving and disseminating intelligence to the people that matter. Let's see, Vulcan is attacked and the fact that the Klingons just lost a FLEET is NOT shared with the Captains going to help Vulcan?? Either Uhura hacked into a top secret communication and was the only one able to translate it, or Starfleet is really stupid.
Um, it didn't seem important because it didn't seem related. I got that impression. That sort of thing happens all the time in real life military intelligence. "What happened? Oh, that's not important. Let's keep going."
Old 05-11-2009, 10:55 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
nevermind I think someone answered this.
Are you just messing with me on purpose? Come on, why didn't Pike already know about this transmission Uhura knew about? You think a cadet has more of a "need to know" than a Captain?

Wait. You must have edited your post while I was replying.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:58 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Um, it didn't seem important because it didn't seem related. I got that impression. That sort of thing happens all the time in real life military intelligence. "What happened? Oh, that's not important. Let's keep going."
A single massive Romulan ship has destroyed a Klingon FLEET and it isn't important?? I had to laugh when I read your post because I know you intended it to be funny, because I know you are too bright to actually say it in a serious way!!
Old 05-11-2009, 11:05 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
A single massive Romulan ship has destroyed a Klingon FLEET and it isn't important?? I had to laugh when I read your post because I know you intended it to be funny, because I know you are too bright to actually say it in a serious way!!
Actually they did not know it was a single romulan ship.. and.. again .. what does a klingon fleet NOT in or around vulcan space have to do with a distress signal from Vulcan about a lightning storm in space?(remember "we have no further information at this time" also the "lightning storm" is what set off kirk.. to the facts being related... They had no idea about the romulan ship.. the reason all the other ships were destroyed... the details are all there..
Old 05-11-2009, 11:34 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
Actually they did not know it was a single romulan ship.. and.. again .. what does a klingon fleet NOT in or around vulcan space have to do with a distress signal from Vulcan about a lightning storm in space?(remember "we have no further information at this time" also the "lightning storm" is what set off kirk.. to the facts being related... They had no idea about the romulan ship.. the reason all the other ships were destroyed... the details are all there..
When I watch the DVD I will pay close to attention to that part, but assuming you are correct I can swallow the believability only slighty more. You have altered my opinion on this point.

But that is just one small complaint of mine. What about the obvious lack of sensors while at warp, or the sheer stupidity to NOT use them? There are lots of reasons this movie didn't "feel" like Trek to me, it's NOT all based on the sound effects or changes made to things like the warp core(s). It's about being smart, in a way. This movie made the crew seem like they were stupid, simply for the sake of making a cool action flick. Really, who in there right mind would come out of warp in the middle of a pile of space debri? It was only portrayed that way to get a "ohhh, ahhhhh!!!" reaction from the crowd. The entire time I was thinking "this is stupid". Where was the "sir, sensors are picking up weapons fire ahead, the..... has been destroyed", Then Pike should have said "take us out of warp out of that ships weapon's range, let's see what we're dealing with"... Is that too cerebral and "nerdy" that a general movie audience would have hated it?