The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > 11 Things About Star Trek That Make You Go WTF? - Spoilers!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2009, 09:15 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpeoccasio View Post
11. Kirk's clown hands. Did we really need that?
No. We don't need any comedy in this movie. It has to be 100% serious. All work and no play makes this a true Trek movie.

*sigh*

Quote:
10. Letting Willy Wonka design the engine room.
Nice touch. I've heard Budweiser factory, but yours is original.

Quote:
9. That whole plot point about how using the planetary drill thing (suspended improbably by what looks like a mega-huge strand of barbed wire) conveniently disrupts transporter beams and communication.
What are you driving at? What did the convenience allow for? Nevermind I think I know. You're accusing them of throwing that in there so they can do some cool sky diving stunts, right? And Star Trek has never done this before, has it...

Remember this:

"Emergency plan... B."
"Plan B?"
"B! As in Barricade!"

Quote:
8. Mining ships of the future have enough weaponry to destroy a Starfleet armada. What exactly are they mining? (Yes, we know there is an explanation for this in the prequel comic, but if you need to read the comic to explain the movie, that's a problem. Would explaining it to the movie audience have been that difficult?)
You are right, that is one of my major criticisms for this movie that there are quite a few things (like Red Matter, Nero's motivation, and why he's pissed at Spock) which it almost seems like Abrams & co. is expecting everyone to read the comic.

If they didn't want to go into the whole thing you were just talking about here they could have had Scotty or some other engineer comment on it by saying, "Well, it looks like a mining ship of some sort, but with really advanced technology. The peculiar thing is the front. It doesn't look like it's original to the ship. The two sections look very alien to each other."

It's okay if a movie doesn't have all the answers as long as the characters at least express the same concern we have.

Quote:
7. Uhura casually tells her roommate that she translated a mysterious message detailing the destruction of a Klingon fleet by a large, Romulan ship, but fails to inform her captain until he's about to fly into a trap.
Because she didn't hear anything at all. No Romulan voices, no Klingon voices, no human voices. When she informed the captain of this the captain realized too late what they were flying into.

Quote:
6. If he's getting so much action, why can't one of Spock's emotions be, you know, kinda happy? Why so dour, my Vulcan friend?
Why so dour? He just lost a home planet and his mother! When Uhurah was kissing him she seemed to be comforting him as well. Seeing her soldier off so to speak. At the end of the film, I actually kind of got a lighter attitude when young Spock and old Spock were meeting.

Quote:
5. Rowdy officers must be jettisoned off the ship in life pods and left on ice planets. Apparently the brig was broken?
Kirk's been nothing but trouble for Spock while he's on the ship. The brig being on the ship probably isn't good enough for Spock since he wasn't supposed to be on the ship anyway. I'll say again, he wasn't supposed to be on the ship. Logic: get him off the ship.

Quote:
4. It's OK, though, because if you do that, the person in the life pod will manage to land right next to THE ONLY OTHER PERSON ON THE PLANET who has also been stranded there.
Life's full of coincidences. Your complaint is about how unrealistic this seems. But in reality such coincidences happen all the time.

Quote:
3. The bridge is the best place to bring suspected saboteurs. OK, this is actually a time-honored Trek tradition. But still.
Not gonna really argue with this one, you got it on your second sentence.

Quote:
2. If you accidentally get sent back 25 more than 150 years in time, it's better to take revenge on the person who was unable to save your planet than to actually, you know, TRY TO SAVE YOUR PLANET!
Another "you have to read the comic" moment they should have at least put in. They could have fit the bit about Spock and Nero going before Vulcan High Council and being rejected, followed by Spock promising Nero to get it done somehow anyway, followed by Nero saying, "Fine, but if you fail, Vulcan dies" (paraphrasing what he said). That would have been valuable information there.

Quote:
1. The random Star Wars and Cloverfield-like monsters appearing for no particular reason.
They were there as obstacles. Just because they didn't deal with the main Nero plot doesn't mean they don't have purpose in this movie.

And people need to stop with the Star Wars bullcrap. This was not the Star Wars hybrid everyone was afraid of.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:17 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSalon View Post
on Friday Kirk is receiving a full body massage. Lucky me!
I'm gonna be sick.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:22 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
I'm gonna be sick.
Just don't think about it and you'll be fine!
Old 05-11-2009, 09:35 AM
Vice Admiral

I had no problem with the comedy or the swollen hands. It WAS funny and I did laugh. I thought the long drill apparatus was just fine and it didn't bug me the energy field interfered with coms and the transporter, that made sense to me.

I did think the cadet translating a message that her Captain knew nothing about was rather dumb. I mean, do cadets have access to intelligence that a Starfleet Captain does not? Was she the only person in the entire federation that was successful at translating this message? You would have thought there would have been a HUGE military mobilization to counter the threat posed by whatever destroyed the Klingon fleet, NOT just a humanitarian effort that was easy pickings.

The "eject Kirk" thing was dumb too. Really made no sense. It was just a way for Kirk to meet Spock Prime, no matter how super conveniant that meeting was. I would have preferred a story where Spock actually sought Kirk and arranged to be where Kirk was, that would have made more sense.

There were a BUNCH more WTF times in the movie and I don't want to get into them all. How many warp cores? And what is the Enterprise's top warp factor? 4?

"Boom" were at warp, we're dropping out of warp in 4,3,2,1 "Boom", we're out of warp and in the middle of a clusterf*** because we obviously must NOT have sensors while at warp or we're too stupid to drop out of warp at a more tactically sound location!!! And THAT isn't Star Wars like?? Warp was turned into hyperdrive, it was obvious. The Federation space station did look much more like something out of Star Wars than out of any previous Trek, and that was obvious too.

What about the fact Sulu, someone we would HOPE actually qualified to be on the Flagship, did NOT know how to enter into warp? WTF? Really? I found that part of the movie to be plain stupid, not funny at all. The Sulu of Trek past could fly just about anything, this Sulu must have won a lottery pick in order to be assigned to the 1701.

Last edited by MrQ1701 : 05-11-2009 at 10:03 AM.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:05 AM
Ensign

Shhh don't tell anybody this but.......it's a movie.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:23 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skriptures17 View Post
No! Say it isn't so!!
Old 05-11-2009, 10:27 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Dudes, Kirk was brought aboard under false pretense and was obviously not ill anymore, Spock already knew there was an outpost on Delta Vega and after busting up the bridge he just wanted him back to earth via Delta Vega Im sure. Just because Pike made Kirk first officer, he also told Spock that he is the Captain, and to take care of the ship, its new. I loved that. but Spock had authority to do what he did.

As for the plausibility of this it seems fine to me, as for the coincidental meeting with Spock...in life there are no coincidences, and this movies theme is about fate and destiny, so it fits perfectly.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:30 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skriptures17 View Post
Soooo.... movies don't have to make sense? What are trying to say? If someone is going to make a movie and set it in an already established universe, then they better adhere to the "rules" that universe established. Imagine if the next spider-man movie gave him adamantium claws just because Wolverine has done well at the box office. Spider-man did well enough, imagine IF he had claws too!!! That would double the tickets sold at the theater! Yeah!
Old 05-11-2009, 10:32 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
Soooo.... movies don't have to make sense? What are trying to say? If someone is going to make a movie and set it in an already established universe, then they better adhere to the "rules" that universe established. Imagine if the next spider-man movie gave him adamantium claws just because Wolverine has done well at the box office. Spider-man did well enough, imagine IF he had claws too!!! That would double the tickets sold at the theater! Yeah!
But if Logan got the radioactive spider-bite instead of Parker ...
Old 05-11-2009, 10:33 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
I did think the cadet translating a message that her Captain knew nothing about was rather dumb. I mean, do cadets have access to intelligence that a Starfleet Captain does not? Was she the only person in the entire federation that was successful at translating this message? You would have thought there would have been a HUGE military mobilization to counter the threat posed by whatever destroyed the Klingon fleet, NOT just a humanitarian effort that was easy pickings.
Higher Authority does not mean know-all. "I'm just a cadet, I know 2 languages", "Well, I'm Captain, so I know 8." Doesn't exactly work that way.