The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > 11 Things About Star Trek That Make You Go WTF? - Spoilers!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2009, 08:02 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Default 11 Things About Star Trek That Make You Go WTF? - Spoilers!

11. Kirk's clown hands. Did we really need that?

10. Letting Willy Wonka design the engine room.

9. That whole plot point about how using the planetary drill thing (suspended improbably by what looks like a mega-huge strand of barbed wire) conveniently disrupts transporter beams and communication.

8. Mining ships of the future have enough weaponry to destroy a Starfleet armada. What exactly are they mining? (Yes, we know there is an explanation for this in the prequel comic, but if you need to read the comic to explain the movie, that's a problem. Would explaining it to the movie audience have been that difficult?)

7. Uhura casually tells her roommate that she translated a mysterious message detailing the destruction of a Klingon fleet by a large, Romulan ship, but fails to inform her captain until he's about to fly into a trap.

6. If he's getting so much action, why can't one of Spock's emotions be, you know, kinda happy? Why so dour, my Vulcan friend?

5. Rowdy officers must be jettisoned off the ship in life pods and left on ice planets. Apparently the brig was broken?

4. It's OK, though, because if you do that, the person in the life pod will manage to land right next to THE ONLY OTHER PERSON ON THE PLANET who has also been stranded there.

3. The bridge is the best place to bring suspected saboteurs. OK, this is actually a time-honored Trek tradition. But still.

2. If you accidentally get sent back 25 more than 150 years in time, it's better to take revenge on the person who was unable to save your planet than to actually, you know, TRY TO SAVE YOUR PLANET!

1. The random Star Wars and Cloverfield-like monsters appearing for no particular reason.

http://scifiwire.com/2009/05/11-thin...-star-trek.php
Old 05-11-2009, 08:04 AM
Federation Councillor

I'd like to add -

We already know Romulans and Vulcans share ancestry and we know where their homeworld is. We know all about them.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-11-2009, 08:18 AM
Ensign

Haha my point exactly. You can't exactly jettison your first officer for not agreeing with you. It's called the brig. Think of all the times Riker or Chakotay would have been jettisoned for doing something not on par with regulations?
Old 05-11-2009, 08:18 AM
Captain

Her Majesties proud ship Kelvin is confronted with a deadly foe, killing and destroying everything in its path and as if crewmen getting thrown into space and dying wasnt bad enough, we also get to know that our hero has to sacrifice his life to save not only the ordinary crewmen (who gives a damn about them) but also the poor boy aboard who is suffering of leukemia... no, wait, it was a group of 101 dog puppies... no, wrong again, its a pregnant woman in labour pains. Ah, the drama.

And what was that about the vulcan bullies again?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMBihVAMhGM
Old 05-11-2009, 08:22 AM
Lieutenant

11. C'mon, that was funny. That was a great Kirk/McCoy moment.

10. Agreed. The engine room was clunky at best.

9. The drill was a feasible idea. Being suspended like 100 miles down? Yeah, a little overboard.

8. Agreed.

7. Yea, that did seem a bit of a dereliction of duty....

6. He still has like 3 years to go to pon farr....

5. Space him...yup. Funny in a way, but still...

4. And AFTER being at warp speed for some time but still close enough to watch Vulcan eat itself...

3. Not unusual. Bring them to the captain, not the other way around.

2. What a perfect point. With the Red Matter, Nero (or even Spock Prime) could have gone and made that star turn into a black hole waaaay earlier, and prevented everything. but then, wouldn't that cause another paradox anyways?

1. Well, the fear of frostbite just isn't enough to strike fear inthe hearts of movie goers...
Old 05-11-2009, 08:42 AM
Commander

Why do I get the sense that these critiques were written by someone who surfs this board regularly? Hmmmmm??

11. It provided a little comedy and the scene worked. Like Star Trek has never done that before...sheesh!

10. So it looks more industrial...big deal. If people aren't complaining about the Willy Wonka aspect, they're complaining about the iBridge.

9. Conveniently? No, it was rather inconvenient, thanks. Besides, how do we know that it wasn't because of the energy that it was emitting? We don't.

8. The ship was from ONE HUNDRED TWENTY YEARS IN THE FUTURE! lol They might have upgraded weapons in that time...maybe...I'm just sayin'...

7. Uhura shouldn't have known it was a trap. Kirk put it together and that makes sense. PIKE should have known it was a trap...HE wrote the dissertation.

6. He's constantly in conflict at this stage. Would you be happy?

5. No one said the brig was broken. Spock wanted him off the ship. Strikes me as an illogical and emotional response.

4. He didn't land right next to him. He was 14km away.

3. He wasn't a saboteur, he was an intruder. He was also a Starfleet cadet. Besides, it fit the scene. Point taken, though.

2. Nero wasn't a scientist, he was a miner and he blamed Spock for the destruction. He didn't plan to go back in time; he wound up there. Besides, why should he expect the Romulan government would have believed him as distrusting as they are?

1. Hey, what a shock...another Star Wars tie-in. It wasn't Star Wars and it wasn't Cloverfield. Since when can't Trek try to inject some aliens that aren't bi-ped humanoids?
Old 05-11-2009, 08:53 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpeoccasio View Post
11. Kirk's clown hands. Did we really need that?

10. Letting Willy Wonka design the engine room.

9. That whole plot point about how using the planetary drill thing (suspended improbably by what looks like a mega-huge strand of barbed wire) conveniently disrupts transporter beams and communication.

8. Mining ships of the future have enough weaponry to destroy a Starfleet armada. What exactly are they mining? (Yes, we know there is an explanation for this in the prequel comic, but if you need to read the comic to explain the movie, that's a problem. Would explaining it to the movie audience have been that difficult?)

7. Uhura casually tells her roommate that she translated a mysterious message detailing the destruction of a Klingon fleet by a large, Romulan ship, but fails to inform her captain until he's about to fly into a trap.

6. If he's getting so much action, why can't one of Spock's emotions be, you know, kinda happy? Why so dour, my Vulcan friend?

5. Rowdy officers must be jettisoned off the ship in life pods and left on ice planets. Apparently the brig was broken?

4. It's OK, though, because if you do that, the person in the life pod will manage to land right next to THE ONLY OTHER PERSON ON THE PLANET who has also been stranded there.

3. The bridge is the best place to bring suspected saboteurs. OK, this is actually a time-honored Trek tradition. But still.

2. If you accidentally get sent back 25 more than 150 years in time, it's better to take revenge on the person who was unable to save your planet than to actually, you know, TRY TO SAVE YOUR PLANET!

1. The random Star Wars and Cloverfield-like monsters appearing for no particular reason.

http://scifiwire.com/2009/05/11-thin...-star-trek.php
11. Did you laugh? The audience I saw it with did many times...
10. It looked more like an engine room to me.
9. I saw nothing convenient about it.
8. they do explain it in the movie. Nero even shows his wife who died.
7. She doesn't fail to tell the captain. And if he has a hard time believing Kirk, why would he believe a cadet?
6. I have never seen a happy Vulcan and don't want to start to now.
5. Kirk beat his test by cheating and his emotions are peaking. I've known people to do stranger things. Mrs. Bobbit comes to mind.
4. I believe they stranded him close by it on purpose.
3. Spock knew who it was. He watched the video of them.
2. The planet wouldn't be blown up until the date of the supernova, so how culd he save at the time? Plus he's pissed about his wife.
1. The two monsters weren't random, but hungry.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:57 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSalon View Post
11. Did you laugh? The audience I saw it with did many times...
10. It looked more like an engine room to me.
9. I saw nothing convenient about it.
8. they do explain it in the movie. Nero even shows his wife who died.
7. She doesn't fail to tell the captain. And if he has a hard time believing Kirk, why would he believe a cadet?
6. I have never seen a happy Vulcan and don't want to start to now.
5. Kirk beat his test by cheating and his emotions are peaking. I've known people to do stranger things. Mrs. Bobbit comes to mind.
4. I believe they stranded him close by it on purpose.
3. Spock knew who it was. He watched the video of them.
2. The planet wouldn't be blown up until the date of the supernova, so how culd he save at the time? Plus he's pissed about his wife.
1. The two monsters weren't random, but hungry.
I need a haircut.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:02 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShirtWalking View Post
Why do I get the sense that these critiques were written by someone who surfs this board regularly? Hmmmmm??

11. It provided a little comedy and the scene worked. Like Star Trek has never done that before...sheesh!

10. So it looks more industrial...big deal. If people aren't complaining about the Willy Wonka aspect, they're complaining about the iBridge.

9. Conveniently? No, it was rather inconvenient, thanks. Besides, how do we know that it wasn't because of the energy that it was emitting? We don't.

8. The ship was from ONE HUNDRED TWENTY YEARS IN THE FUTURE! lol They might have upgraded weapons in that time...maybe...I'm just sayin'...

7. Uhura shouldn't have known it was a trap. Kirk put it together and that makes sense. PIKE should have known it was a trap...HE wrote the dissertation.

6. He's constantly in conflict at this stage. Would you be happy?

5. No one said the brig was broken. Spock wanted him off the ship. Strikes me as an illogical and emotional response.

4. He didn't land right next to him. He was 14km away.

3. He wasn't a saboteur, he was an intruder. He was also a Starfleet cadet. Besides, it fit the scene. Point taken, though.

2. Nero wasn't a scientist, he was a miner and he blamed Spock for the destruction. He didn't plan to go back in time; he wound up there. Besides, why should he expect the Romulan government would have believed him as distrusting as they are?

1. Hey, what a shock...another Star Wars tie-in. It wasn't Star Wars and it wasn't Cloverfield. Since when can't Trek try to inject some aliens that aren't bi-ped humanoids?
Rather than typing out a very similar list, I agree with this retort. I will say that when I saw it the first time I missed many things and I had concerns . Those concerns were left to rest upon the second viewing. the dialog moves fast and I really just missed so much in view one.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:08 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpeoccasio View Post
I need a haircut.
I charge thirty dollars for a man and forty dollars for a woman. Make an appointment. You'll have to book ahead. I'll be busy on Thursday though, Uhura is getting a bikini wax and on Friday Kirk is receiving a full body massage. Lucky me!