The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Enterprise > Whats wrong with season one?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2009, 02:40 AM
Ensign

Default Whats wrong with season one?

Downloaded all episodes, started with season one of course. The weird thing is that I actually never saw it before, only one or two episodes, so it's very new to me (guess I only saw parts of season 2 and 3?)

But I really don't understand all the bad comments about it? I actually enjoy all the episodes I saw so far (10 so far).

One problem I have so far is the lack of good spaceshiparmor and spaceshipweapons. How stupid can you be to go into deepspace without any good weapons to protect the Enterprise? The Vulcans should know about the dangers, and Archer should know better after the many problems he faced in the first episode(s). The torpedo's are really lame, and it's bad for the fun factor. But if I remeber correctly, they will get fasers and better torpedo's in the next season(s)?

I enjoy to see the small things, like the fear of transporters, which is completly understandeble I would be scared like hell as well. Also about the syntetic food they talk about and all other minor things like the holodeck tripp encounters.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:13 AM
Midshipman

I think the think people who bag the series find it lacking in tech (replicators, shields and the weapons etc) they want more not less.

Sometimes less is more. I think it's a great series and would recomend that those people who don't like it watch it with the mind set that it is a history lesson. Im sure if the series was let to run its course of seven seasons they would have aquired more technolagy.

As for the Vulcans, they didn't want humans to "explore" just yet so I guess that is why they don't help them once they decide to go.

Maybe this new movie will motivate Paramount to produce a new series. What time period would be good to tackle next?
Old 05-12-2009, 07:16 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannydeK View Post
Downloaded all episodes, started with season one of course. The weird thing is that I actually never saw it before, only one or two episodes, so it's very new to me (guess I only saw parts of season 2 and 3?)

But I really don't understand all the bad comments about it? I actually enjoy all the episodes I saw so far (10 so far).

One problem I have so far is the lack of good spaceshiparmor and spaceshipweapons. How stupid can you be to go into deepspace without any good weapons to protect the Enterprise? The Vulcans should know about the dangers, and Archer should know better after the many problems he faced in the first episode(s). The torpedo's are really lame, and it's bad for the fun factor. But if I remeber correctly, they will get fasers and better torpedo's in the next season(s)?

I enjoy to see the small things, like the fear of transporters, which is completly understandeble I would be scared like hell as well. Also about the syntetic food they talk about and all other minor things like the holodeck tripp encounters.
I actually liked ENT and season one was very good, in my opinion. You'll find a lot of people that didn't like various aspects. They'll say TOS didn't have touchscreens, so a prequel shouldn't have them either. They'll say the 1701 was the first Starship named Enterprise so the NX-01 named Enterprise breaks "canon". They'll say the Vulcan's shouldn't behave like jerks and in many cases more emotional. I find most of these arguments to be silly and ENT did a good job of explaining these things, for example, the Vulcans depicted in ENT are NOT practicing the TRUE teachings of Surak, so NOT until later will they become more like Spock. I really don't understand how all the ENT haters can like this new JJverse Trek when it is an even further departure from "canon", and NO alternate reality/timeline can explain it all away.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:27 AM
Fleet Admiral

Overall, it is similar to the second season and I find no more good or bad episodes than in your average Trek season. The introduction of the Andorians, their the conflict with the Vulcans and the first pre Prime Directive stories counterbalance the Temporal Cold War plot as well as some mediocre episodes (Vox Sola or Terra Prime come to mind).

An important info for B&B bashers, their intriguing idea to set (part of) the season on Earth was rejected by the studio. "First Flight" shows that this was a mistake.

IMO, the quality between episodes varies strongly whereas the average quality difference between series is minimal.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:49 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
An important info for B&B bashers, their intriguing idea to set (part of) the season on Earth was rejected by the studio. "First Flight" shows that this was a mistake..
What was this idea? Was the idea to have the NX-01 stick around Earth a bit longer, or to see more of the crew prior to it's launch? I think it would have made for some good TV! Can you tell me more? Or where can I read this myself?

Was "first flight" the episode where Archer tells T'Pol the story of when he and that other guy stole the test ship?
Old 05-12-2009, 12:03 PM
Fleet Admiral

Yep, that was "First Flight", IMO one of the memorable episodes of ENT.

I stumbled over it on Memory Alpha, who linked to an interview with Mr.Braga by trekmovie.com.
In comment #124 Braga wrote: You know, Rick’s initial idea was to play the first season on Earth as they were building the very first warp ship. But that was way too off-concept, I think, for the studio.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:12 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Yep, that was "First Flight", IMO one of the memorable episodes of ENT.

I stumbled over it on Memory Alpha, who linked to an interview with Mr.Braga by trekmovie.com.
In comment #124 Braga wrote: You know, Rick’s initial idea was to play the first season on Earth as they were building the very first warp ship. But that was way too off-concept, I think, for the studio.
Thanks!! I really like this interview. He mentions how bad UPN was for ENT!!! he also mentions the gay and lesbian topic!!! I found this part about the potential lesbian relationship between Seven of Nine and Janeway to be rather funny: "Plus it would have been dangerous for Janeway…you don’t know what kind of borg implants are down there."

I think having the entire first season set on Earth while the ship was being built would have been a BAD idea. I think a few episodes would have been great though.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:20 PM
Fleet Admiral

Yes, one season might be too long, perhaps half a season. They could have done shows like "First Flight", explored the relationship between humans and Vulcans and in general covered parts the unseen history from 2063 and 2150.
I think it would have been great and Mr.Berman's idea shows that Trek became a bit stale and uninspired in the VOY and ENT years partly because of the risk aversion of the studio, not merely because of Berman and Braga who are the scapegoats for some "fans".

I wonder why the studio rejected the idea, DS9 showed that Trek works perfectly in a static enviroment and the other 'final frontier' DS9 crossed, serialized story-telling, was accepted for ENT's later two seasons.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:01 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:

I wonder why the studio rejected the idea, DS9 showed that Trek works perfectly in a static enviroment and the other 'final frontier' DS9 crossed, serialized story-telling, was accepted for ENT's later two seasons.
I think DS9 showed that it wouldn't work! That's why DS9 was forced to have more episodes off the station. We saw more and more runabout episodes on alien planets or areas of space. The station was too boring. For me, DS9 got really good with the introduction of the Jem'Hadar and then the Defiant.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:20 AM
Ensign

I hate people complaining about 'canon' all the time. What do they expect? That we don't have touchpanels in the year 2150? Even my cellphone has that capabillity! I think it's a relaistic view of the timeera the serie is made in. The TOS vision would agree with that, but since it's from the 1960 the human mind just wasn't capable to show us all the details because no one can predict the future completly (however TOS was very progressive). That is why I love the JJ abrams version of the TOS era, since it's a better view of the technology, much more realistic in my opinion.

I also find it frustating sometimes that the NX-01 has such a lack of technology. But it kinda makes sense, since they need to start somewhere The timeperiod they started the federation of planets, and that the humans are responseble for that (mainly Archer) is a little unrealistic though. I mean, come on, some newbies in space without any experience and good technoloy who change everything in the most radical way in a few years?