The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Model or CG Enterprise???
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2008, 08:20 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
Tell that to filmmakers like Peter Jackson. Like any other film being made today, TREK will use the best methods to achieve the shots desired: if it's CG, they'll use it, if a model would work better, they'll use that too. There is no required either/or choice for any film, just what gives the best results for the investment of time and money.
Exactly! The white city in Return of the King was a model with CGI touching it up. The model was huge so they could get a camera in there to do those sweeping shots. Wouldn't look as good all CGI.

I still say, look at The wrath of khan. That movie has fantastic model work. And CGI, for now anyway, just can't come close, the ships are not as tangible or 'heavy' as when you use a really large model. I think the best approach is a mix of CGI and model work from which I've read is what Abrams is planning for this film!

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 02-17-2008, 08:37 PM
Rear Admiral

Resident Evil: Extinction used Models combined with CGI for the Vegas Shot.

That looked really good, and that movie had a small budget. Just think if they had more money to work with.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:20 PM
Fleet Admiral

One point to add: CG is still relatively in its infancy as a cinematic tool, so it's not surprising many filmmakers haven't mastered its use yet to replicate reality. Frankly CG will achieve photo realism long before it even touches simulating reality itself, but that's another discussion. For current use, CG is simply just another tool in the box: some filmmakers and artists who know how to use it best deliver the best results, while others who don't really understand its potential or limits will offer poor results.

In any case, telling a great story will inspire audiences to believe wholeheartedly in any illusion. One of the most underused special effects in Hollywood is a well-written script.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 02-17-2008, 10:02 PM
Rear Admiral

As long as the new movie does not go to the extreme on CGI and Green Screen like Star Wars I-III did. The only thing that looked real in those movies were the actors.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:22 PM
Fleet Admiral

We all know the only way the FX are going to be great is with a model.
If the VFX are Stargate level I'll be happy with it but I don't like the new ship any way so...there goes objectivity on the VFX...

Old 02-17-2008, 11:31 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
We all know the only way the FX are going to be great is with a model.
If the VFX are Stargate level I'll be happy with it but I don't like the new ship any way so...there goes objectivity on the VFX...
Stargate the movie? That film had some great work on the pyramid ship. Some of the later sequences in the series have nice effects as well.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:46 PM
Fleet Admiral

Star Trek DS9 made a joke out of fire with that CGI but Stargate seemed to found a reality switch for the fire FX. Stargate is just phenomenal on VFX....If DS9 and Voyager were on just the level of Stargate atlantis I'd been okay with it...but they were only one step of the terrible effects in B5...good for that show but it was like a loud baby in a theatre...(obvious) that these effects were...realy...

In a movie or TV show I don't want to be wondering..."could this look more fake?" it's distracting.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:52 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
Star Trek DS9 made a joke out of fire with that CGI but Stargate seemed to found a reality switch for the fire FX. Stargate is just phenomenal on VFX....If DS9 and Voyager were on just the level of Stargate atlantis I'd been okay with it...but they were only one step of the terrible effects in B5...good for that show but it was like a loud baby in a theatre...(obvious) that these effects were...realy...

In a movie or TV show I don't want to be wondering..."could this look more fake?" it's distracting.
Yeah, stargate and Atlantis do have great effects. The sequence in the Atlantis pilot is one of the best sequences of CGI water I've seen except in the Two Towers, but there may have been some real elements shot there.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:58 PM
Fleet Admiral

Atlantis has not disappointed ONCE in the VFX department yet. That's really good. Like Voyager it could win some awards. Good FX can make a break a movie.

My favorite fx moment was First Strike, and Adrift.

The Rising of the city with the shield through the water the beam impact and in the other episode the asteroid scene...EXCELLENT....took balls to do that...and they pulled it off in spades..

Old 02-18-2008, 02:02 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingston View Post
Exactly! The white city in Return of the King was a model with CGI touching it up. The model was huge so they could get a camera in there to do those sweeping shots. Wouldn't look as good all
The subject of this thread is the Enterprise, so I was implying that the ship would be CG, not that they might not use models for environment or other uses.