The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Model or CG Enterprise???
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2008, 08:37 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post Model or CG Enterprise???

What do you guys/gals prefer to see in the new movie? A computer generated Enterprise or a scale model of the big "E"? My self I would prefer to have a model, but thats just my opinion...
Old 02-17-2008, 08:40 AM
Ensign

CG...its the only way these days to get the 'cool' factor. Although a model would be great to see...
Old 02-17-2008, 08:53 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

What exactly do you mean by "cool factor?"
Old 02-17-2008, 08:56 AM
Midshipman

Remember watching the makings of extra's on some of the DVD boxsets. They said on Enterprise that Voyager was the last show to use a model & by the end of the last season more & more was being shot CG.
I think Enterprise was the first to be entirely CG & no Enterprise was built.
I can't be certain but I think Nemesis had some bits & pieces in model. I think the crash scene of the Enterprise into the Scimitar might have been part model.
Be nice if you see the Enterprise in the drydocks as a model & then flying around in CG. I think CG allows for a more flexible approach to your spaceflight scenes.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:09 AM
Ensign

according to JJ they will use CG and models for the big E.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:13 AM
Ensign

If they use any models, it will be very limited. Models are just not practical or economical in today's film making.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:30 AM
Midshipman

I think with all the CG effects and where film making has gone in this digital age, its virtually impossible not to see the big E as all CG. But you know what i wont put anything past JJ Abrams. I am a huge fan of Lost and while Cloverfield I thought sucked, it was still a visually compelling movie. The trailer for the movie really says it all. I mean I was awestruck when the saucer section was revealed it gave me chills. I hadnt been like that for a movie since I saw the last trailer for Star Wars..
Old 02-17-2008, 11:33 AM
Ensign

Technically speaking, it is nolonger impractical to render CG starships in a 100% photo-realistic manner, thanks to modern rendering-engines and render-farms. Starships are mechanic objects and therefore easy to animate. They are usually seen in outer space, which is also an easy lighting environment to simulate (though on purpose this is rarely done in a realistic manner because in many cases, it wouldn't look cool).

But I am convinced we are going to see the most detailed and breathtaking starship ever. Just look at the trailer to get a sense of that sheer beauty. If you ask me, some of the worlds best artists are working on this.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:29 PM
Ensign

the only thing still impractical to achieve in CG are environments. Those are still done with miniatures (LotR, Star Wars, King Kong, etc.).
Old 02-17-2008, 12:37 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Presley View Post
If they use any models, it will be very limited. Models are just not practical or economical in today's film making.
Tell that to filmmakers like Peter Jackson. Like any other film being made today, TREK will use the best methods to achieve the shots desired: if it's CG, they'll use it, if a model would work better, they'll use that too. There is no required either/or choice for any film, just what gives the best results for the investment of time and money.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!