The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Opening Weekend in....
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2009, 12:15 PM
Vice Admiral

i never understood what people find in those cardboard and fake superhero mumbo jumbo flicks
Old 05-10-2009, 12:37 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
Fuzz, don't overlook that WOLVERINE opened in roughly 600 more theaters than TREK did. I don't know how many screens TREK shows on this weekend, but WOLVERINE opened on 8300, which is just an enormous number. The typical big summer openings used to be 4000 screens or so, and 6000 was something near THE DARK KNIGHT's debut, I think.

Now for the really telling tale: WOLVERINE dropped $60 Million this weekend from last weekend's total, according to these estimates. That will end up somewhere around a 60-70% drop off in attendance, and it's even possible that a portion of this weekend's viewers were audiences who couldn't get TREK tickets.

As for this weekend's numbers being estimates: this is standard for obtaining early Sunday totals, and the numbers are always adjusted and finalized on Monday.

Plus, with the high number of advanced ticket sales, it's very easy to come up with a solid, quite reliable estimate because so many tickets for today were bought days or weeks ago -- cash already in the till, so no mystery in counting it.

What I'll be interested in reading are the $ per screen ratio between TREK this weekend and WOLVERINE last weekend. I'm guessing TREK would outpeform WOLVERINE in this stat, and it certainly left the competition in the dust this weekend head-to-head.

Good points, mission.

Also, Wolverine has bad reviews, and word of mouth will get out that is isn't that great of a movie (although I sort of liked it, but Trek blows it away).

Wolverine also had the luxury of a built in audience based on the prior (in my opinion) solid 3 previous X-MEN installments. Trek had no such luxury, as it has been almost 7 years since the last (failed) film, and the icing on the cake was the low rated and not popular "Enterprise" series. Trek has been out of the public and cultural collective for quite awhile now. That is has done so well already is a testament to what a great film it is.

"I'll never lose you!"
Old 05-10-2009, 12:38 PM
Fleet Admiral

Worth noting: on BoxOfficeMojo's list, Abrams' STAR TREK is already the 5th highest grossing TREK film in the franchise, in total (unadjusted) box office grosses. After one weekend.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 05-10-2009, 12:41 PM
Ensign

Whatever the end numbers its a great result i seen film first time last nigt and loved it maybe not enough trek like but i still loved the film and i will see it atleast once more on thursday but for now iits back to the sound track
Old 05-10-2009, 03:59 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir num nums View Post
Today is Sunday... How can they have numbers from a day that just started?

lol, read the other articles from the AP. The numbers are from Thursday night, Friday, and Saturday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonstar70 View Post
I agree. Sundays numbers are yet to be taken into account, arent they?
They're just estimates that will be confirmed on Monday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
Fuzz, don't overlook that WOLVERINE opened in roughly 600 more theaters than TREK did. I don't know how many screens TREK shows on this weekend, but WOLVERINE opened on 8300, which is just an enormous number. The typical big summer openings used to be 4000 screens or so, and 6000 was something near THE DARK KNIGHT's debut, I think.

Now for the really telling tale: WOLVERINE dropped $60 Million this weekend from last weekend's total, according to these estimates. That will end up somewhere around a 60-70% drop off in attendance, and it's even possible that a portion of this weekend's viewers were audiences who couldn't get TREK tickets.

As for this weekend's numbers being estimates: this is standard for obtaining early Sunday totals, and the numbers are always adjusted and finalized on Monday.

Plus, with the high number of advanced ticket sales, it's very easy to come up with a solid, quite reliable estimate because so many tickets for today were bought days or weeks ago -- cash already in the till, so no mystery in counting it.

What I'll be interested in reading are the $ per screen ratio between TREK this weekend and WOLVERINE last weekend. I'm guessing TREK would outpeform WOLVERINE in this stat, and it certainly left the competition in the dust this weekend head-to-head.
At this stage the per theatre average is about $18,000 for Trek compared to $21,000 for Wolverine's opening weekend.

I think $76.5 is a really cracking opening, and I think Star Trek will have better legs and better second weekend in comparison to Wolverine as well. I know which one I'm going to see again.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-10-2009, 04:03 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhanner View Post
Gosh, did I forget to use the sarcastic font? My bad!
Apparently.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:43 PM
Federation Councillor

Apparently Box-Office-Mojo's figures have been revised upwards and the final weekend opening is actually -

$79.2 Million.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-11-2009, 02:20 PM
Commander

Very tasty. Only $5m short of Wolverine's opening. And Wolverine was competitionless in its first weekend (Star Trek competed with Wolverine). And Star Trek has much more positive word of mouth. I forsee a bright future.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:35 PM
Ensign

i heard it beats dark knight's record.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:56 PM
Commander

TrekMovie has an interesting article:
http://trekmovie.com/2009/05/11/fina...batman-begins/