The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > The death of the old...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2009, 10:08 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnyder4 View Post
Frankly, no one believes the IQ level of "old fans" was anything to write home about either - if you choose to go down that road.

All you have to do is look at some of the threads here of the devoutly "faithful" posters for a general consensus. Most of them can't even spell their mantric word "canon" correctly. They mostly just parrot crap that the internet spews at them. Ultimately it ends up like a game of telephone.
Thanks Snyder. And for the record, I try not to use the word "canon" if I can help it. I prefer "continuity". And looky thar, I aktchally spalled it krectly.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:23 AM
Midshipman

Those idiots who keep saying "It's not real, none of it's true, continuity doesn't matter, etc." should ask themselves to what extreme they feel comfortable taking that? Does that mean when they shot GODFATHER II, it would have been acceptable to say that the events of the original movie actually took place in China with the Chinese Mafia? After all, none of it's real, so the "truth" of the second movie is just as "real" as the first? Or is it ok with you to make a movie and establish that the main character is married but then halfway through the movie change and say he had never been married, and at the end, show his wife? After all, all 3 versions are just as "real." At some point, to enjoy the movie, you have to agree that continuity matters.

Having said that, I'm like the original post-er in that I'm perfectly fine with them totally destroying the old timeline so that it no longer exists...and this is in its place. But then I was one of those who liked the much-hated Clone Storyline in Spiderman, back when they tried to reboot Spiderman by saying that the guy who had been in the comics for several years was not the real guy after all, and so Peter Parker was not actually married, etc. I think reboots are healthy for any long-running franchise.

And as I said elsewhere, it does seem to me that the intent was to totally get rid of the old timeline. After all, how is Nero REALLY getting revenge on Spock Prime by destroying Vulcan if it wasn't really HIS Vulcan...but alternate version?
Old 05-10-2009, 10:53 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by salemstar1 View Post
After all, how is Nero REALLY getting revenge on Spock Prime by destroying Vulcan if it wasn't really HIS Vulcan...but alternate version?
Since he himself created this new timeline, it sorta IS his Vulcan
Old 05-10-2009, 10:57 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
I think it's a grey area - in VOY HOME Kirk says he's 'from' Iowa. He himself doesn't use the word 'born'.

So, he was born in space, and then spent the rest of his life in Iowa. So, he's from Iowa.

Gene said he was born in Iowa
Old 05-10-2009, 10:59 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanWriter45 View Post
Funny... I got home, and my Trek TOS DVDs, seasons 1,2,3 are still sitting on my shelves... all the novels are still there... The photos of me with some of the TOS cast are still there, along with the autograph book, and my collection of replica props... my science uniform is still hanging in the closet...

What ARE you talking about when you say "it's gone?"

Seriously, fans need to stop thinking in this ridiculous "either/or" mode. This new Trek is an "in addition to" rather than a replacement.

Or, to put it into a Trekkian techno-babble explaination: TOS v. TNT (The New Trek) is a case of Quantum uncertainty... aka "Shrodinger's Cat". Both Treks exist, but by going to the theatre, the waveform collapses, and the universe shifts along one, new, timeline.

The Reason for staying with the NEW timeline is simple..(with the exception of spock (vulcans live a long time...) The other actors are TOO OLD to play those characters.. this way we still have trek (the old one is still there..if you wish to see it there are many ways to do this...like you so eloquently stated) But We now have a NEW re-invigorated trek that can be expanded upon and have NEW story lines and adventures..

I don't wish to see all the OLD episodes and movies RE-MADE..(with different actors) THAT would be STUPID and REDUNDANT. That Timeline has happened it is Documented.. watch it ALL you Want! If you Don't like the new trek.. get a netflix account and watch all the old trek you want.. The "NORMAL" universe is up to TNG.. and even most of those actors are getting up there... We need to move on... OR you can stay where you are and also trek lives in fan fiction.. Enjoy it.. But don't expect everyone else to Re-tread the same ol' stuff over and over.. it makes NO Sense... Live Long and Prosper.... and GET OVER IT. ;-)

(P.s. This is not in reference to the OP or the quoted person... just a general assesment for all those who keep clinging on to this either or attitude... ) That and Big Bang Theory RULES!.. ;-) (Off topic i know but TRUE) "Sheldon Cooper for President."
Old 05-10-2009, 11:01 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
I thought this was funny. I bought my tickets online and I just got an e-mail asking me to fill out a survey and give my review of the movie. When I went to the survey page, there are reviewes from others who have seen the movie. This one caught my attention:

"This movie had spaceships and a green lady. What more could you want! I liked the movie because there was things going boom and pow."

That was the very first review. The rest were similar with few exceptions. I guess we're getting new fans.
When I say made for the masses this is exactly who I am talking about. All they care about is if the movie goes boom and has sex.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:02 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
Gene said he was born in Iowa

Umm.. You don't Think the Stress of a Romulan Attack could have caused early labor? hmm.. most illogical.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:57 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
When I say made for the masses this is exactly who I am talking about. All they care about is if the movie goes boom and has sex.
A dismissive generalization, and just as useless for describing an entire audience as "the masses" once used to describe Trekkies as maladjusted nerds living in their parents' basement.

Enjoy the Dark Side, it's all yours.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 05-10-2009, 12:04 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:

"Nemesis" went boom. It had sex. How is it a better movie than this new one?

"I'll never lose you!"
Old 05-10-2009, 12:14 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonstar70 View Post
"Nemesis" went boom. It had sex. How is it a better movie than this new one?
Because it kept to Canon.