The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > The death of the old...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2009, 06:17 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Default The death of the old...

Dear Trekkies, Trekker, and just plain Fans,

I'm writing this letter in hopes of finding out how you feel about the two timelines. I for one am happy there is a new one. We get movies where we don't know what will happen or at least what can't happen. I know some of us are angry that JJ changed the timeline, but what fun is there in seeing a movie when you already know the possible outcomes? I'm 37 and grew up watching this show in all its incarnations and I have no problem with this. In fact, (get your pitchforks out) I don't have any problem with them saying the last timeline is gone. Ouch! Please stop jabbing me with that. It hurts. I know it pains some of you, but maybe that is a good thing. Why, you might ask? For one, this movie will make more money, which hopefully gets us another. Two, new fans are being made. Three, death and ressurection are a part of life. Do I think STM or ST:09 (Star Trek Movie or Star Trek 2009) is perfect? Yes. Are there flaws? Yes. Then how can it be perfect? Because flaws are part of perfection.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:35 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

Funny... I got home, and my Trek TOS DVDs, seasons 1,2,3 are still sitting on my shelves... all the novels are still there... The photos of me with some of the TOS cast are still there, along with the autograph book, and my collection of replica props... my science uniform is still hanging in the closet...

What ARE you talking about when you say "it's gone?"

Seriously, fans need to stop thinking in this ridiculous "either/or" mode. This new Trek is an "in addition to" rather than a replacement.

Or, to put it into a Trekkian techno-babble explaination: TOS v. TNT (The New Trek) is a case of Quantum uncertainty... aka "Shrodinger's Cat". Both Treks exist, but by going to the theatre, the waveform collapses, and the universe shifts along one, new, timeline.

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.

Last edited by FanWriter45 : 05-10-2009 at 06:40 AM.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:35 AM
Midshipman

At first I had a problem with it. I thought how dare they destroy the original time line then I realized they did not destroy it. The created another time line. The other still exist. So yes I am waiting to see what they have in store for this new time line. My only problem is what they did to Spock. To me it would have been better if they had a character we did not know and that Spock was still in his universe living his life.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:42 AM
Lieutenant Commander

I think the new timeline is great. It would be absurd to stick to the old 1960's cannon. Are we supposed to still say that earth experienced world war 3 in the 1990's? Of course not. Are we still to believe that the only way someone who is male and half human would have any physical or emotional contact with a woman is if he's been drugged by spores? That's just silly. All the shows in the 1960's - Daniel Boone, Gunsmoke, etc., were about pushing the men into the most horrific situations so the actors could express emotion. How many wives and girlfriends did Little Joe lose just so the writers could let Michael Landon cry? Today's audiences (in the US) have grown up with a very different sensibility of how men behave. Adult, heterosexual males are expected to have physical and emotional contact with women.

The new timelines allows Spock and Kirk and everyone else to be characters created for this generation and for this era. They can live in grow with us. This isn't Dickens. We're not watching Oliver Twist or something which must always be set in a certain era to make sense.

This is one of those movies I like more the more I think about it. It wasn't perfect, of course. There were plot holes and I didn't like that little creature that hung around with Scotty. Yuck. Too ewok like. But the main cast was amazing. Quinto, Pine, Saldana, Urban. Wow!
Old 05-10-2009, 06:48 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanWriter45 View Post

What ARE you talking about when you say "it's gone?"
Not me. I read it on another thread. I feel the way you do.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:54 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjopbj View Post
I think the new timeline is great. It would be absurd to stick to the old 1960's cannon. Are we supposed to still say that earth experienced world war 3 in the 1990's? Of course not. Are we still to believe that the only way someone who is male and half human would have any physical or emotional contact with a woman is if he's been drugged by spores? That's just silly. All the shows in the 1960's - Daniel Boone, Gunsmoke, etc., were about pushing the men into the most horrific situations so the actors could express emotion. How many wives and girlfriends did Little Joe lose just so the writers could let Michael Landon cry? Today's audiences (in the US) have grown up with a very different sensibility of how men behave. Adult, heterosexual males are expected to have physical and emotional contact with women.

The new timelines allows Spock and Kirk and everyone else to be characters created for this generation and for this era. They can live in grow with us. This isn't Dickens. We're not watching Oliver Twist or something which must always be set in a certain era to make sense.

This is one of those movies I like more the more I think about it. It wasn't perfect, of course. There were plot holes and I didn't like that little creature that hung around with Scotty. Yuck. Too ewok like. But the main cast was amazing. Quinto, Pine, Saldana, Urban. Wow!

Not to nit pick because normally I would agree with The Shat on this one when he was on SNL when he said, and I quote "Get A Life" but I thought I would throw my thoughts in on this one.

First of all, since I have not seen the movie yet and I am opening myself up to a good ribbing here for not seeing the movie, it is my understanding that Nero came back when Kirk was just being born and blew up the Kelvin. If this is the case then everything up until that point in the orginial time line still happened. So this means that WWIII still happened, Khan still happenedand is still floating in space, the Eugenic wars still happened, and unfortunatelly Enterprise (Archer) still happened. Now if you want to argue that everything after the destruction of the Kelvin was new and fresh then you can go ahead.

But just to say this in my final words. None of this is real. It is all fake. The is no real Starship Enterprise, there is no real Kirk, Spock, Bones, Scotty, Chekov, Sulu, Uhura, and so forth. It is all the fictional product of a great mind of a man named Roddenberry (RIP). Once you realize this, you can step away for the computer and have a real life.
by the clean end”

R.J.Wiedemann.LtCol.USMC Ret.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:55 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I am going to be quite blunt.

Abramsdisaster was shot for the masses.

The Masses do not care about the 43 years of history that we fans have built up and improved with Star Trek.

All the Masses care about is sex and violiance(SP) thats what they got with this Abramsdisaster.

The Masses want it to be a bang bang shoot em up film and thats what they got. The masses don't care about script, story or plot, thats what they got.

When I was on a college campus years ago (1970s or 80's I think), We got to meet Gene Roodenberry. A Student asked him where Captain Kirk was born he said Iowa.

Abramsdisaster claims that the normal time line is not disrupted. But how can that be if Kirk is born on a fake federation starship the Kelvin. if it had not been attacked Kirk would had been born on that ship, which is against what Gene said.

Abramsdisaster destroyed the canon before his supposed time line started.

Thats my rant and opinion.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:57 AM
Ensign

I listen to Elton Johns' "Funeral For a Friend" over and over again since I saw this movie.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:00 AM
Commander

Magnum... Try to pretend you are a pregnant woman...

Seriously though... The ship you are on is being blown to pieces. I DEFINITELY think premature labor is a REAL possibility rather than the three weeks later back home in Iowa.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:05 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yagami Crewman View Post
Magnum... Try to pretend you are a pregnant woman...

Seriously though... The ship you are on is being blown to pieces. I DEFINITELY think premature labor is a REAL possibility rather than the three weeks later back home in Iowa.

I don't think she had time to get back to Earth even if they were not attacked.