The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Heavy Metal (1981 animated).
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2009, 09:22 PM
Midshipman

Default Heavy Metal (1981 animated).

Wickedly cool and unique erotic and gory Sci-fi horror fantasy animated anthology that plays like "Akira and "Flash Gordon"" meets "Creepshow" and "The Fifth Element". It's based on the still running popular adult comic magazine of the same name features fantastic stories of futuristic cab drivers, nerds who become barbarian heros, aliens, zombies, sex, drugs, gory violence, rock music by various artists, dark humor, good animation for it's time, and animated hotties galore especially Taarna the white haired warrior chick whom get naked as well.

It stars the voices of John Candy with Eugene Levy, Harold Ramis, Joe Flatery and even Richard Romanus (Weekhawk from Wizards and Vinnie from Hey Good Looking). It's nice dirty and bloody fun for anyone who likes Sci-fi, animation, fantasy and even anime!
Old 05-09-2009, 11:29 PM
Vice Admiral

Yup. A true classic.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:38 PM
Commander

I have to admit, it did hold my attention pretty well.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:22 PM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

This was a movie that survived on it's storytelling moxie. (Lord knows much of the animation was pretty bad... although they did try a few experimental things in B-17 and Tarna that were interesting [if unsucsessful] using hi con negative on black and white lined models) The stuff that was good, animation wise, was all rotoscoped.

Ultimately, it was really one of those movies that was put together to sell a soundtrack, by the record companies that were connected to the film studio. Sadly, they only did a very limited release of the Elmer Bernstien score to the film, which was really the best thing about it....

Although, I will admit, I AM a fan of John Candy's work in the film. It's really too bad that he didn't live longer to do more voice work like this. He was a natural at it, and "Den" reamins the highlight of the movie for me. If Disney/Pixars's upcoming "Barsoom" captures 1/10th the scope and excitement of Den, it'll be a smash!

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 05-10-2009, 02:17 PM
Lieutenant Commander

"Give me back my Loch-nar"!

Heavy Metal 2000 sucked.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:28 PM
Fleet Admiral

Loved the original Heavy Metal. If it comes out on Blu-Ray, I'm snaggin' it!

One of my fave scenes in the movie is when Den is moving through the tunnels with his new compatriots. They're speaking in fearful murmurs, and when he asks what's troubling them, his companion says something like:

"They speak of a creature who dwells in these caves with an appetite for other creatures, and sharp claws five inches long...."

"AGGGHHHHHH!!"

"Make that fifteen inches long!"

LMAO!

Old 05-10-2009, 10:33 PM
Midshipman

Does anyone think this movie was a big influence on "The Fifth Element"? and did anyone see that South Park spoof? it was funny.

Who else thought Taarna was one fine good lookin toon girl? she's that mute white haired warrior beauty, i mean what a bod even when she's nude with everything including bush.

Anyone who liked this one should check out "Akira", "Fire and Ice", "Wizards", "Heavy Traffic", "South Park: The Movie", "Rock and Rule", "Starchaser: Legend of Orin" and even "Ghost in The Shell" for similar animated movies.

If you thought this was one raunchy toon, then watch the very nasty and infamous Japanese animated horror fantasy erotic flick "Urotsukidoji: Legend of the Overfiend", guaranteed as it's very explicit sexually and ultraviolent.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:19 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

Actually, the major influence on "The Fifth Element" was Jean "Moebius" Girrard. if you can find copies of some of his "Black Incal" story, you'll see what I mean.

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:42 PM
Midshipman

Indeed, HM magazine even influenced Blade Runner.

Don't see the sequel Heavy Metal 2000, it sucks. And has anyone seen Urotsukidoji: Legend of the Overfiend?
Old 05-14-2009, 05:54 AM
Federation Councillor

For it's time it was cool! Also check out the films of Ralph Bashi.