The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > What one new element "worked" for you?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2009, 05:02 PM
Federation Councillor

Engineering was seriously my favourite part!!

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-09-2009, 05:05 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
But once the helsman pressed the button, it took one or two seconds to drop out of warp.
I realize that I complain too much, the TNG-style warp effect is fine for slower TV while the super-blur is more suitable for faster blockbusters.
I actually thought it made sense that you can't just suddenly switch off the speed. Like if you have, say, a fan, you can't go from a High setting to Off without first passing through Medium and Low. (omg I'm giving horrible analogies today...my apologies!). OK, maybe a better analogy is a car. Even if you slam on the breaks, it still takes a bit to slow down from a very fast speed.

Or maybe it's just like Captain Tom said and they're just counting down to their destination, which is a simpler explanation than mine and also makes sense. Also, in a battle situation, it gives everyone more time to get ready at their stations if they know that "OK, I've got five seconds, let me make sure I'm set" instead of the helm suddenly saying, "Dropping out of warp!" with no warning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural View Post
The 150 million dollar budget.
That too!
Old 05-09-2009, 05:08 PM
Fleet Admiral

Think of it this way, at the unimaginable speeds that they are traveling at warp if they don't come out of warp at a precise time they will overshoot their destination by god knows how much. So they have all that worked out in advance and look down at their console and know that there is 5 seconds left until we are where we want to be. A second or two late and you aren't in the solar system anymore.
Old 05-09-2009, 05:13 PM
Lieutenant

I loved the cast and all of the ships, especially the Enterprise. The Kelvin teaser part was also awesome!
Old 05-09-2009, 05:30 PM
Ensign

Man! Where do I start? I think the cast really set it off. Urban WAS McCoy. Pine was outstanding and Quinto was spooky with how much he sounded and looked like Spock.

I think what came across was the love and gratefulness Abrams and cast had for the franchise. This brought heart to the characters and they were totally believeable. Even Chekov was alive in the way he was portrayed.
Chekov Spoiler
I remember hearing Patric Stewart in an interview and he talked his experience with TNG down and clearly was not grateful to be part of this iconic mythology. TNG was well done with great actors but they didn't come across as grateful and it showed (with the possible exception of Michael Dorn and Whoopi Goldberg). Simon Pegg really brought off the genius and wonder that was Scotty.

The story was awesome, the effects amazing and the deep stirring majesty they invoked with Enterprise.
My Favorite Enterprise Shot

Soooooo...can I chose "everything" as my one thing? My wife who loves Trek but is not a Trekker was moved to tears and spontaneous applause erupted in the theater. I too was "emotionally compromised".
I Thess 5:21

"There is an old Vulcan saying, only Nixon could go to China." - Spock

"Space is disease and danger, wrapped up in darkness and silence." - Leonard McCoy
Old 05-09-2009, 05:31 PM
Captain

The things they did right weren't new.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 05-09-2009, 05:32 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Engineering was seriously my favourite part!!
Yeah, I didn't think I would like it but even before I saw the movie, the more I thought about it, the more it made sense. It worked really well in the movie because it gave an indication of how powerful the ship is and what it takes to produce all that power. Also, it answers the question of how do they produce/store/process things like water and other raw materials. All of that's down in engineering and with so many systems to run, all of the piping, holding tanks, vats, and valves made a lot of sense to me. It's not neat and tidy, it's a complicated system with a lot of parts.
Old 05-09-2009, 05:35 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfighter View Post

The story was awesome, the effects amazing and the deep stirring majesty they invoked with Enterprise.
My Favorite Enterprise Shot
OMG I LOVED that shot! Definitely my favorite Enterprise shot too. The sound that went with the scene just added to it. I LOVE hearing those engines powering up or down. They kind of remind me of giant turbines, which sort of matches the spinning...whatevers that you see in the nacelle caps.
Old 05-09-2009, 05:36 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
The things they did right weren't new.
No they weren't - but that doesn't stop it 'working' for some.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-09-2009, 05:38 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyanEva View Post
OMG I LOVED that shot! Definitely my favorite Enterprise shot too. The sound that went with the scene just added to it. I LOVE hearing those engines powering up or down. They kind of remind me of giant turbines, which sort of matches the spinning...whatevers that you see in the nacelle caps.
Anyone else catch the shot they did when she was trying to escape from the black hole -

The start under the saucer and rise up to the top of the saucer with a slight angle?

The one that was done on TOS dozens of times - every time the ship got caught in a powerful force in fact.

I liked that little nod!

courtesy of Saquist