The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > What one new element "worked" for you?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2009, 01:19 PM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.
Default What one new element "worked" for you?

Just to counterbalance some of the more critical threads... what part of the new film do you think was the most successful? What "sold you" on the new film, if anything did?

To me, without much doubt, it was the pitch perfect casting. So far, the only person I heard anything negative about was Wynona Ryder. (beats me why this particular fan didn't like her... I'm just relaying what I overheard in the halls outside the screening after it let out.)

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:22 PM
Federation Councillor

I couldn't like or dislike Winona - she essentially did nothing.

I'm torn between the casting and the production design. I'm SO fracking sold on the industrial look now it's insane.

Better go for casting though, that's what matters in the long run. They pretty much got the crew right across the board.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-09-2009, 01:24 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Loving the new camera angles and the broad sweeping shots. Remember this is a bigger budget now so they can do a lot more cinematography than they used to do.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:29 PM
Commander

The fact that it felt real.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:35 PM
Commander

There are many things that sell this movie to me.

New. It's all new and far friendlier.
It's all different, and obviously so.
Casting was top notch.
It was epic in scope. It didn't feel like an overblown tv episode on the silver screen. It felt like a movie.
It has the spirit and cajones of the original. Action, fun and realizing it's all entertainment.

Worldwide, it made 24 hardcore Trekkies cry.

Old 05-09-2009, 02:38 PM
Commander

I loved the layouts of the new sets especially engineering...finally a starship engine room looking like what its actually probably would...grimy dirty...and filled with all kinds of..pipes nozzles and gadgetry...cramped and uncomfertable to boot...wonderfull...I also liked the soundtrack and the new ENT model didn't look nearly as bad as I thought.

-Free Enterprise
Old 05-09-2009, 02:52 PM
Midshipman

The cast is the obvious choice.

As for the technical, I LOVE the new bridge and its controls and the warp drive effect.
Old 05-09-2009, 02:54 PM
Fleet Admiral

I liked the overall feel of the new ship. It felt like there was a lot going on in the backround. Post TNG startrek sometimes had a kind of sterile feel to it. This ship felt alive to me.
Old 05-09-2009, 02:56 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tom Coughlin View Post
I liked the overall feel of the new ship. It felt like there was a lot going on in the backround. Post TNG startrek sometimes had a kind of sterile feel to it. This ship felt alive to me.
I agree. I also liked that I didn't know what to expect because of the new timeline. The cast is amazing too. And the sets. Oh gosh, I liked everything. Now get going on with the sequal!
Old 05-09-2009, 02:59 PM
Midshipman

Smile 2 Worked for Me

Great topic, thanks for starting it. First, when karl urban leaves the restroom and is forced to take his seat, i loved Karl Urban's blue sweater collar. The ribbing in the collar reminded me of one of the first movies. The red Starfleet flight suits had small, standup white collars with almost the same kind of ribbing or mock turtle. In the larger scheme of things, the collar may have been strictly accidental, but in the ST preview, it was a GREAT detail. Visually it locked in to a previous costume department.

Also for the trailer, I loved how Simon Pegg first appeared, as if he's covered in amniotic fluid and has just left the birth canal. Ok, don't laugh, but the trailer started with a birth, Simon's head is just South Park enough so that he looked birthed. In a trailer, the film makers only have a limited amount of time to hook an audience into going to see the film. Little details carry big impact.

I've seen the film and loved it. I'm wasn't a Trekkie fan of the original television program, but several of my friends were Trekkies. In addition, when Leonard Nimoy wrote his poetry books, he toured college campuses. I got to see him lecture on my campus. He had a Q and A session after and said, "y'know, since I retired, everytime I do this, the flashbulbs pop." Gues what "this" was. Heh.