The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > theaters are not what they ve used to be
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2009, 10:52 AM
Vice Admiral

Default theaters are not what they ve used to be

i am 30 years old,when i was a kid i remember my mother used to take me watch star trek , i remember the simplicity and the pure magic of the era,now its all gone,visiting a theater's becoming disgusting and annoying,kids playing with cell phones , making fuss.i cant say i blame them.they learn from their parents ,sending them alone to watch something they ll not understand (like star trek).they want to get rid of them , to harrash us ,the civilized moviegores , and when they finish their job , to come and get them.these parents should be sterilized,i ve just returned from second viewing,i was ready to toss the fussmakers using my boot,but my fiance talked me out of it,she said be civil,funny thing,be civil to the uncivilized

any of u had any similar problems?

my advice to u , if they talk too much , there is solution

Last edited by jtrek79 : 05-09-2009 at 11:42 AM.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:52 PM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

jtrek,

The theatres are fine. (In fact, they are better than ever.) It's the audiances that need some work... At the first screening I went to, some guy sitting two seats down from me had taken his shoes off, and had crossed his dirty, socky feet on the railing ahead of us... Made me really sorry for whomever the next guy was going to be, who sat in the seat right in front of that... Ugh!

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 05-09-2009, 03:07 PM
Commander

Geez jtrek, you aren't THAT old. I'm 28 and there were always kids in the theaters. Granted, they didn't have cell phones when we were 10, but still. Most people do turn their cell phones off for a movie, including kids.

And who is to say that kids don't get Star Trek? You went to Star Trek as a kid, right? Did anyone ever tell you or your parents that you should not have been there because you were a kid that didn't get it? Who is to say that theaters aren't great experiences? Stadium seating, digital surroundsound, IMAX and whatnot have vastly improved the movie-going experience. You've grown up jtrek. Of course it might have seemed better when you were 10. As Carlos Mencia once said, EVERYTHING is better when you are 10.
Old 05-09-2009, 03:48 PM
Admiral

I think theatres have always been that way. I won't go to the theatre on certain times and days knowing what I can expect. I've had more than my fair share of run-ins with young people constantly talking and being a nuisance.

I must say that when I saw Trek that a large part of the audience was roughly around the same age as myself (53), so a lot of 60's era fans turned up. The rest were mixed younger ages.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 05-09-2009, 04:02 PM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

There was an experiment done about 10 years ago... some theatre chains tried selling "first class" screening tickets. You'd pay extra, and it was only for people 16 and over who agreed to be a polite audiance.

Beats me why it didn't catch on.

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 05-09-2009, 05:52 PM
Federation Councillor

I've done that a couple of times. The last was the 11.30 showing of Zodiac - that's a long movie. Coming out the cinema at 2am was kinda cool!!

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-09-2009, 08:38 PM
Vice Admiral

when i was 10 i didnt have a 500 euro cellphone or a bike,my parents didnt get me anything cause i was raised the proper way,now these morons calling them selves parents will do anything to satisfy every wim of their spoiled young troublemakers.plus i used to be grounded when i talked back to an elder,now they ve no respect at all,in fact they ll get back to u,with every available swear they ve got,

Last edited by jtrek79 : 05-09-2009 at 08:46 PM.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:56 PM
Commander

The first time I went to see Star Trek, there was a moron in the audience with a pen laser constantly shining it on the screen. I didn't let it distract me, but I had to ask myself whatever happened to the usher? Back in the sixties and early seventies if some mentally challenged individual had pulled something like this, he/she would have been ejected from the theater within a very few minutes.