The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > I don't care what you say, I liked the romance(SPOILERS)!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2009, 04:37 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjopbj View Post
Exactly. You and everyone on the Enterprise. That's why they followed Kirk after Spock gave up command. Now that he doesn't even have his planet, Spock must learn to be more social or he won't have anyplace to go.

also too i didn't think that the enterprise weather it was pike or spock in command could kill nero. the only man is kirk because of his leader skills. he was right attack nero now instead of teaming up with the fleet. this is what made starfleet understand that kirk deserves the enterprise and he got it.

All i ask is a tall ship, stars to sail her by.
Old 05-17-2009, 04:38 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Seven View Post
That could be said of the later movies and noted here numerous times. TOS, Next Gen and select features held to distinctive storytelling. It soured towards the end.

What you're looking for is perfect writing because you're a perfectionist. You're not going to get it. Give this new Star Trek some time. It will age very well.
Star Trek II through VI made more of an attempt at inspiration than this movie even dreamed of.

Perfect isn't needed to dream...just an imagination.
But how is that a defense for what this movie did.
If Trek is going to survive longer than a Star War's Fort Night...they'll have to engage everyone with more than just cool explosions and special effects.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:15 AM
Fleet Admiral

Imagine an alternate turbolift scene:
Uhura: Tell me what you need!
Spock: Regarding the matter at hand, the logical course of action is to repopulate my species. *grabs her*
*doors close*

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 05-18-2009, 11:56 AM
Fleet Admiral

....wow...

Old 05-18-2009, 12:01 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armalarm View Post
People love to complain!
But I will have to say that i love what they did. It brings something new and fresh into star trek. Yes it's all hollywood, but this is precisely one of the elements they needed to reboot the series. I have a feeling star trek went down the tube before because there wasn't enough or no character/audience connections. (DONT SAY IT! Riker/Troi romance did not count! I didnt feel SHIRT! (my way of saying **** politley)

Lets get one thing straight, Spock is not without emotion. he has them but controls them. He did show it quite a few times in TOS. Watch Nimoy's Star Trek Memories on youtube..youll see what I mean.

I think what they did was logical, and I love this movie because there are new elements to star trek, one being the fact that I can connect with the characters!
Yeah, I liked it. As they say, I'm on board with it and look forward to seeing it in the future.

I don't see marriage, but their obvious closeness lends a great new dynamic to the future of this crew.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-18-2009, 12:02 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
Imagine an alternate turbolift scene:
Uhura: Tell me what you need!
Spock: Regarding the matter at hand, the logical course of action is to repopulate my species. *grabs her*
*doors close*
Dodgy 1970s music comes in and -

'Bow, chicka-bow-wow!'

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-18-2009, 12:04 PM
Ensign

Kirk has a unique mindset and way of understanding relatively complex situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enterprise NCC-1701-A View Post
also too i didn't think that the enterprise weather it was pike or spock in command could kill nero. the only man is kirk because of his leader skills. he was right attack nero now instead of teaming up with the fleet. this is what made starfleet understand that kirk deserves the enterprise and he got it.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:05 PM
Lieutenant

I really didnt like the spock/uhura relationship thing. i thought it was unecessary. I can understand uhura feeling she wanted to comfort spock on his loss but to be snogging him on the transporter platform on active duty didnt sit right with me. mind you kirks look was priceless.

starbase Britain
Old 05-18-2009, 12:15 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Yeah, I liked it. As they say, I'm on board with it and look forward to seeing it in the future.

I don't see marriage, but their obvious closeness lends a great new dynamic to the future of this crew.
I still fear that it's going to ruin the dynamic of the trio (Kirk/Spock/McCoy). That's my only concern about it. Ah well, I find with this universe that I actually care more about Kirk/McCoy anyway than I do Kirk/Spock or Kirk/Spock/McCoy. *shrugs* It's weird how easily I made that shift but it just seems right with it just being the two of them (Kirk/McCoy)

It's like two duos (Kirk/McCoy, Spock/Uhura) now instead of a trio. I'm not sure how I feel about that but that's what it is at the moment.

ETA: After a few more seconds' thought, I don't like the double duo set up. I miss the trio. Well, at least I still have Kirk/McCoy. :/
Old 05-18-2009, 12:26 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyanEva View Post
I still fear that it's going to ruin the dynamic of the trio (Kirk/Spock/McCoy). That's my only concern about it. Ah well, I find with this universe that I actually care more about Kirk/McCoy anyway than I do Kirk/Spock or Kirk/Spock/McCoy. *shrugs* It's weird how easily I made that shift but it just seems right with it just being the two of them (Kirk/McCoy)

It's like two duos (Kirk/McCoy, Spock/Uhura) now instead of a trio. I'm not sure how I feel about that but that's what it is at the moment.

ETA: After a few more seconds' thought, I don't like the double duo set up. I miss the trio. Well, at least I still have Kirk/McCoy. :/
I don't see it interfering with the trio - McCoy and Uhura never had a close relationship, Kirk and Uhura never did either. So, Spock has someone who is close to him that he didn't before.

I don't see them having an actual relationship. It seems as if whatever they did have had fizzled out by the time of the film anyway, so what's left is a deep closeness, but not a love story.

courtesy of Saquist