The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > I don't care what you say, I liked the romance(SPOILERS)!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2009, 11:47 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjopbj View Post
The elevator scene was one of the best things in the movie. Amazing. It reminded me a lot of the scene between Viggo Mortensen and Liv Tyler in Lord of the Rings. Tender, fearful, packed full of so much. Quinto's Spock will become a very different person. The destruction of his home is going to have tremendous repercussions. He truely can't go home again. I would have loved to have had more scenes of Vulcan (instead of so much about Iowa, but that's a small quibble). Quinto's Spock is definately as interesting as Nimoy's. And, my God, wasn't he gorgeous! I almost lost my breath when he first appeared . Wow.

The theater I was in has as many women in the audience as men. Maybe the men go to watch Kirk but, in my opinion, the women go for Spock. And Quinto fills that perfectly.
Weeeell, I originally went for Spock (and traditionally always have watched largely for him) but now find myself going for Kirk. Much credit to Chris Pine for effortlessly making me swap out favorite characters in under two hours.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:52 AM
Fleet Admiral

What was wrong with trek is still wrong with it...uninspired writing.

The difference is that they've finally started to compensate for that with action and spectacular Visual FX.

Old 05-17-2009, 12:12 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
What was wrong with trek is still wrong with it...uninspired writing.

The difference is that they've finally started to compensate for that with action and spectacular Visual FX.
That could be said of the later movies and noted here numerous times. TOS, Next Gen and select features held to distinctive storytelling. It soured towards the end.

What you're looking for is perfect writing because you're a perfectionist. You're not going to get it. Give this new Star Trek some time. It will age very well.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:24 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyanEva View Post
Weeeell, I originally went for Spock (and traditionally always have watched largely for him) but now find myself going for Kirk. Much credit to Chris Pine for effortlessly making me swap out favorite characters in under two hours.

I have had a similiar experience AyanEva.

I have loved Quinto as Sylar in 'Heroes' so I went to the film with a preference for him over the unknown actor (to me anyway) Chris Pine. During the film he won me over.
Old 05-17-2009, 03:48 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishbuddy View Post

I have loved Quinto as Sylar in 'Heroes' so I went to the film with a preference for him over the unknown actor (to me anyway) Chris Pine. During the film he won me over.
Same here! I'm a huge Sylar fan and had no clue who Chris Pine was really. Never seen anything with him in it and I was the most worried about his casting, tbh. The trailers put me a little more at ease but all I'd heard was that he was in The Princess Diaries 2 and something with Lindsay Lohan and I was still like, "Oh boy..." going in.

He really is as superb actor and the casting was perfect.
Old 05-17-2009, 03:51 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishbuddy View Post

Kirk has always been the more likeable character in Star Trek. He's the everyman we can relate to. The classic hero. Kirk is the ultimate insider. The guy who every guys wants to be and every girl want to be with.

Spock is the stranger in the strange land. Spock is unusual. I think Quinto does such a fantastic job BECAUSE he made Spock unlikeable. That is essential to understanding his character. Spock isn't popular. He's the intellectual who'd rather sit in the corner than take command. Quinto had to present that side of Spock and he did. Spock is respected by his crewmates but they want to follow Kirk. We have to believe that.

In TOS, Spock had one true supporter - Kirk. In this movie he had one true supporter - Uhura. I think that is a fantastic updating of the buddy story to include a woman. Star Trek isn't just a guys club anymore, girls can climb the latter and sit in the treehouse too, now.
Old 05-17-2009, 03:53 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Same here! I'm a huge Sylar fan and had no clue who Chris Pine was really. Never seen anything with him in it and I was the most worried about his casting, tbh. The trailers put me a little more at ease but all I'd heard was that he was in The Princess Diaries 2 and something with Lindsay Lohan and I was still like, "Oh boy..." going in.

He really is as superb actor and the casting was perfect.

yes he is, you know i'm actually having trouble putting kirk in my head as shatner or pine. right now i'm going with pine because he has that energy, fire, kick and drive to be James T. Kirk, a fearsome leader.

All i ask is a tall ship, stars to sail her by.
Old 05-17-2009, 03:58 PM
Commander

Quote:

Spock is the stranger in the strange land. Spock is unusual. I think Quinto does such a fantastic job BECAUSE he made Spock unlikeable.
This is so very true. I just wanted to punch Spock in the face several times throughout the movie and I ALWAYS sided with Kirk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enterprise NCC-1701-A View Post
yes he is, you know i'm actually having trouble putting kirk in my head as shatner or pine. right now i'm going with pine because he has that energy, fire, kick and drive to be James T. Kirk, a fearsome leader.
I'm having the same problem.
Old 05-17-2009, 04:07 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
This is so very true. I just wanted to punch Spock in the face several times throughout the movie and I ALWAYS sided with Kirk. .
Exactly. You and everyone on the Enterprise. That's why they followed Kirk after Spock gave up command. Now that he doesn't even have his planet, Spock must learn to be more social or he won't have anyplace to go.
Old 05-17-2009, 04:27 PM
Commander

Quote:
Now that he doesn't even have his planet, Spock must learn to be more social or he won't have anyplace to go.
For some reason, that made me LOL really hard.