The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > I don't care what you say, I liked the romance(SPOILERS)!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #221  
Old 05-28-2009, 09:05 AM
JamesTKirk1701's Avatar
JamesTKirk1701 JamesTKirk1701 is offline
Lieutenant Commander
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 556
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilEyes View Post
Tough luck, Jim. I hope you get over it.
This isnt the real James T Kirk in the movie anyway. Not to mention the fact Star Trek couldn't even hold onto the number 1 slot for very long. Nemesis would have been number 1 if they had released it earlier in 2002 when nothing huge was coming out. ST only hit #1 because nothing else was coming out that day. The franchise threatrewise doesn't have the punch it used it and with the crap paramount allows it will never have that magic again.
Reply With Quote
  #222  
Old 05-28-2009, 09:12 AM
calliefox calliefox is offline
Ensign
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 89
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesTKirk1701 View Post
This isnt the real James T Kirk in the movie anyway. Not to mention the fact Star Trek couldn't even hold onto the number 1 slot for very long. Nemesis would have been number 1 if they had released it earlier in 2002 when nothing huge was coming out. ST only hit #1 because nothing else was coming out that day. The franchise threatrewise doesn't have the punch it used it and with the crap paramount allows it will never have that magic again.
Actually the movie is exhibiting exceptional staying power. Its second week margin of loss was incredibly narrow and it almost WAS first place to Angels and Demons, short a couple million dollars. It promptly trounced Angels and Demons the next weekened, when A&D had been out 2 weeks and it had been out 3. The weekday takes remain quite exceptional. It is massively outperforming any other recent franchise reboot. There's hard numbers to support these facts. It's swiftly on the way to kick Batman Begins to the curb, and we all know how the sequel to THAT movie did. By the time the next movie hits, it'll have reached huge culture-wide recognition.

I'm betting Paramont execs are fainting with glee, at this point.

It made more than Nemesis did in its entire run on opening weekend, and has by now made four and a half times Nemesis's total gross with months left in its run.

Last edited by calliefox : 05-28-2009 at 09:19 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #223  
Old 05-28-2009, 09:16 AM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,077
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesTKirk1701 View Post
This isnt the real James T Kirk in the movie anyway. Not to mention the fact Star Trek couldn't even hold onto the number 1 slot for very long. Nemesis would have been number 1 if they had released it earlier in 2002 when nothing huge was coming out. ST only hit #1 because nothing else was coming out that day. The franchise threatrewise doesn't have the punch it used it and with the crap paramount allows it will never have that magic again.
Wow, you're just really ignoring the truth about the film's performance just coz it's not your cup of tea, eh?
__________________
'If the Apocalypse starts, beep me!' - Buffy Summers
'The sky's the limit.....' Jean-Luc Picard, 'All Good Things'


courtesy of Saquist
Reply With Quote
  #224  
Old 05-28-2009, 09:22 AM
calliefox calliefox is offline
Ensign
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 89
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Wow, you're just really ignoring the truth about the film's performance just coz it's not your cup of tea, eh?
Or he's just a troll. Luckily some of us come with facts strapped to our bodies.
Reply With Quote
  #225  
Old 05-28-2009, 09:25 AM
Kiko Kea Kiko Kea is offline
Lieutenant
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Paradise
Posts: 464
Default

The romance....it seems several people see the transporter scene as a bit much with Uhura tagging along, etc. Would it help to know that in the book she was there for a reason and not just running after her man? She pinned Kirk with his translator/communicator thingy first (so he could communicate/understand in Romulan) and then moved next to Spock. That's what she was talking about when she said she'd be monitoring his frequency.

I think Spock had serious doubts about his actually coming back, despite his remark to Uhura. And, she had to know it was a longshot, especially since Nero had it in for him. So, let them have a quick kiss and a few whispered words.
Reply With Quote
  #226  
Old 05-28-2009, 09:43 AM
Samuel Samuel is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,883
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesTKirk1701 View Post
This isnt the real James T Kirk in the movie anyway.
I suppose that's because you think you are the real Kirk? Sorry young one but you aint getting the captains chair. However you are very good at spewing so there are some other duties you would be better suited for.
Reply With Quote
  #227  
Old 05-28-2009, 09:46 AM
Royale's Avatar
Royale Royale is offline
Ensign
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 29
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesTKirk1701 View Post
nuff said.
. I so disagree
Reply With Quote
  #228  
Old 05-28-2009, 09:47 AM
Royale's Avatar
Royale Royale is offline
Ensign
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 29
Default

Reply With Quote
  #229  
Old 05-28-2009, 09:47 AM
erruve erruve is offline
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 234
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauln6 View Post
My bad, it looks like Kirk enters the acadamy in 2255 so it is 2258 (aged 25) when he graduates. That seems so wrong. In the original timeline he was over 30 when he became a captain. In this timeline, with no previous experience, he's promoted aged 25? That's not restoring the timeline, it's a recipe for distaster! Plus Uhura is meant to be 18? My brain hurts.
This is one of the things we have to accept. Relative age is a change that can't be reconciled.

~
Reply With Quote
  #230  
Old 05-28-2009, 09:54 AM
AyanEva AyanEva is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,452
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by calliefox View Post
I assumed that the cadets were all first year cadets who were on shore leave. Cupcake suggests this when he calls Kirk a "townie."
That's a good theory. They were definitely all kicking back and relaxing. Iowa's still a bizarre spot, though. Although, they could have been elsewhere and then just come to Iowa the day before because that's where the nearest shuttle was leaving from.


Quote:
Since the shuttle was also picking up new recruits, I guess Bones happened to stumble into town drunk at the same time while looking for Starfleet to take him off planet. I can't imagine he had any prep before getting on the shuttle. The impression I got was he was on a bender. His wife had divorced him and I do believe, although it's not mentioned in the movie, I believe it mentioned in an interview he had also within the past few years euthanized his father. (Which a specific date is never given for in Star Trek V.)
Yeah, I got the impression that, like Kirk, he pretty much climbed on board with only the clothes on his back and whatever cash he hadn't spent on booze. Very scruffy, probably hadn't showered in a few days, probably still slightly drunk. That's interesting about his father. Poor thing! Such horrible luck. But s'okay now. He's got Jim.

omfg I just love those two together.

Slightly OT, one of my favorite things is that Kirk is still wearing his bloody shirt.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:05 AM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.