The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > I don't care what you say, I liked the romance(SPOILERS)!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2009, 09:05 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilEyes View Post
Tough luck, Jim. I hope you get over it.
This isnt the real James T Kirk in the movie anyway. Not to mention the fact Star Trek couldn't even hold onto the number 1 slot for very long. Nemesis would have been number 1 if they had released it earlier in 2002 when nothing huge was coming out. ST only hit #1 because nothing else was coming out that day. The franchise threatrewise doesn't have the punch it used it and with the crap paramount allows it will never have that magic again.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:12 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesTKirk1701 View Post
This isnt the real James T Kirk in the movie anyway. Not to mention the fact Star Trek couldn't even hold onto the number 1 slot for very long. Nemesis would have been number 1 if they had released it earlier in 2002 when nothing huge was coming out. ST only hit #1 because nothing else was coming out that day. The franchise threatrewise doesn't have the punch it used it and with the crap paramount allows it will never have that magic again.
Actually the movie is exhibiting exceptional staying power. Its second week margin of loss was incredibly narrow and it almost WAS first place to Angels and Demons, short a couple million dollars. It promptly trounced Angels and Demons the next weekened, when A&D had been out 2 weeks and it had been out 3. The weekday takes remain quite exceptional. It is massively outperforming any other recent franchise reboot. There's hard numbers to support these facts. It's swiftly on the way to kick Batman Begins to the curb, and we all know how the sequel to THAT movie did. By the time the next movie hits, it'll have reached huge culture-wide recognition.

I'm betting Paramont execs are fainting with glee, at this point.

It made more than Nemesis did in its entire run on opening weekend, and has by now made four and a half times Nemesis's total gross with months left in its run.

Last edited by calliefox : 05-28-2009 at 09:19 AM.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:16 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Wow, you're just really ignoring the truth about the film's performance just coz it's not your cup of tea, eh?

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-28-2009, 09:22 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Wow, you're just really ignoring the truth about the film's performance just coz it's not your cup of tea, eh?
Or he's just a troll. Luckily some of us come with facts strapped to our bodies.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:25 AM
Lieutenant

The romance....it seems several people see the transporter scene as a bit much with Uhura tagging along, etc. Would it help to know that in the book she was there for a reason and not just running after her man? She pinned Kirk with his translator/communicator thingy first (so he could communicate/understand in Romulan) and then moved next to Spock. That's what she was talking about when she said she'd be monitoring his frequency.

I think Spock had serious doubts about his actually coming back, despite his remark to Uhura. And, she had to know it was a longshot, especially since Nero had it in for him. So, let them have a quick kiss and a few whispered words.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:43 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
This isnt the real James T Kirk in the movie anyway.
I suppose that's because you think you are the real Kirk? Sorry young one but you aint getting the captains chair. However you are very good at spewing so there are some other duties you would be better suited for.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:46 AM
Ensign

Quote:
nuff said.
. I so disagree
Old 05-28-2009, 09:47 AM
Ensign

Old 05-28-2009, 09:47 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauln6 View Post
My bad, it looks like Kirk enters the acadamy in 2255 so it is 2258 (aged 25) when he graduates. That seems so wrong. In the original timeline he was over 30 when he became a captain. In this timeline, with no previous experience, he's promoted aged 25? That's not restoring the timeline, it's a recipe for distaster! Plus Uhura is meant to be 18? My brain hurts.
This is one of the things we have to accept. Relative age is a change that can't be reconciled.

~
Old 05-28-2009, 09:54 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by calliefox View Post
I assumed that the cadets were all first year cadets who were on shore leave. Cupcake suggests this when he calls Kirk a "townie."
That's a good theory. They were definitely all kicking back and relaxing. Iowa's still a bizarre spot, though. Although, they could have been elsewhere and then just come to Iowa the day before because that's where the nearest shuttle was leaving from.

Quote:
Since the shuttle was also picking up new recruits, I guess Bones happened to stumble into town drunk at the same time while looking for Starfleet to take him off planet. I can't imagine he had any prep before getting on the shuttle. The impression I got was he was on a bender. His wife had divorced him and I do believe, although it's not mentioned in the movie, I believe it mentioned in an interview he had also within the past few years euthanized his father. (Which a specific date is never given for in Star Trek V.)
Yeah, I got the impression that, like Kirk, he pretty much climbed on board with only the clothes on his back and whatever cash he hadn't spent on booze. Very scruffy, probably hadn't showered in a few days, probably still slightly drunk. That's interesting about his father. Poor thing! Such horrible luck. But s'okay now. He's got Jim.

omfg I just love those two together.

Slightly OT, one of my favorite things is that Kirk is still wearing his bloody shirt.