The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > I don't care what you say, I liked the romance(SPOILERS)!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2009, 09:12 PM
Lieutenant Commander

OK, guys. Make up your mind. Do you want romance or not? Because, let's face it, it is only via romance that you'll know anyone's sexual orientation. If Spock and Uhura can't hook up because of protocol then a gay couple can't either, right? So, that should be one reason to support the Spock/Uhura coupling. It opens the door to others...
Old 05-27-2009, 09:15 PM
Vice Admiral

Spock/Uhura doesnt bother me none.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:19 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjopbj View Post
OK, guys. Make up your mind. Do you want romance or not? Because, let's face it, it is only via romance that you'll know anyone's sexual orientation. If Spock and Uhura can't hook up because of protocol then a gay couple can't either, right? So, that should be one reason to support the Spock/Uhura coupling. It opens the door to others...
For me, I -totally- support the Spock/Uhura coupling. Just because I want Kirk to remain bisexy doesn't mean I don't support Spock/Uhura. I'm very flexible in terms of shipping. But also, as we've addressed on earlier pages, the fraternization stuff just isn't starfleet protocol anywhere in the continuity. There may have been issues when he was her instructor in an academic, but he isn't, now, and there aren't, and they are a rockin' couple.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:48 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by calliefox View Post
I agree that gay should be incidental. Nobody, I mean, I'm sure a few people, but nobody -I- know walks around having 'gay issues' all the time like in 'gay cinema.' We hang out, kick back a beer or two, play some video games, watch a couple movies, go to work, and do, in fact, just happen to be homosexual. But hand in hand with that, we occasionally have partners who are also regular people who happen to be homosexual.

There are cultural elements associated with homosexuality that many gays and lesbians embrace, but hardly uniformly. One of my childhood friends is tall and buff and rugged and you'd pin him as a Jim Kirk type before you ever guessed he had a boyfriend.
Yeah I think it's hiarious the way so many soap operas have to make such a big deal over gay 'issues' as if being gay was THE issue (yawn).

Incidentally, does anybody know if they kept the gay characters in the American version of State of Play. The MI5 agent's homosexuality was almost purely incidental in teh UK version - it was cool.

Last edited by Pauln6 : 05-27-2009 at 11:54 PM.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:53 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Whoops yeah sorry for distracting the thread. I was initially hesitant about it but if the scene in the turbolift is anything to go by, it has a lot of potential to add depth to both characters. If the scene on the transporter is anything to go by, there is a risk that they might throw logic and Vulcan emotional issues out the window in trying to make the relationship more 'accessable' to non trekkie fans. It has the potential to go either way so I'll give it a hesitant thumbs up!

Last edited by Pauln6 : 05-28-2009 at 12:15 AM.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:17 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
I just thought I'd point out that sexual confusion is probably more common that sexual certainty. That is something that I don't think anyone has really explored in fiction or at least TV/movies.

That
...is the exploration that awaits you. Not mapping stars and studying nebula, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence. - Q
Old 05-28-2009, 07:25 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauln6 View Post
Yeah my old FASA RPG rulebook had the character ages at 2267 as:

Kirk 34
Spock 40+ (although I think it has since been hinted more heavily that he was Kirk's age or 35 if we assume a 7 year cycle that kicks in when the Vulcan hits his prime)
MCoy 45
Scotty 45
Sulu 29
Uhura 27
Chekov 22
Chapel 31
Rand 26

If we assume that Kirk is recruited at 2258 (25 years after Narada) and takes 3 years to graduate, he will be 28 at the time he takes command of the Enterprise so we have to shave 6 years off the characters' ages. They seem to have tweaked Chekov's age by a year, which isn't too bad. Maybe he was nearly 23 in 2267. I'm sure these characters have official DOB listed somewhere.
My bad, it looks like Kirk enters the acadamy in 2255 so it is 2258 (aged 25) when he graduates. That seems so wrong. In the original timeline he was over 30 when he became a captain. In this timeline, with no previous experience, he's promoted aged 25? That's not restoring the timeline, it's a recipe for distaster! Plus Uhura is meant to be 18? My brain hurts.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:31 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauln6 View Post
My bad, it looks like Kirk enters the acadamy in 2255 so it is 2258 (aged 25) when he graduates. That seems so wrong. In the original timeline he was over 30 when he became a captain. In this timeline, with no previous experience, he's promoted aged 25? That's not restoring the timeline, it's a recipe for distaster! Plus Uhura is meant to be 18? My brain hurts.
I thought Uhura is 22 when she graduates and 18 when she meets Kirk in the bar. Assuming it took her four years like normal, she was already one year in when Kirk joins Starfleet, since it took him three years but he was graduating with everyone else. Why she's on the new recruit shuttle when she's obviously not a new recruit (she already had her uniform along with most everyone else on the shuttle and seemed well into her Xenolinguistics studies), I'm not sure.

I still haven't figured out why the heck they were all randomly at the Iowa shipyards since NONE of them are from Iowa, save for Kirk. And maybe McCoy if he moved there with his wife or something prior to getting divorced. Some sort of training maybe?
Old 05-28-2009, 08:38 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyanEva View Post
I still haven't figured out why the heck they were all randomly at the Iowa shipyards since NONE of them are from Iowa, save for Kirk. And maybe McCoy if he moved there with his wife or something prior to getting divorced. Some sort of training maybe?
I assumed that the cadets were all first year cadets who were on shore leave. Cupcake suggests this when he calls Kirk a "townie." Since the shuttle was also picking up new recruits, I guess Bones happened to stumble into town drunk at the same time while looking for Starfleet to take him off planet. I can't imagine he had any prep before getting on the shuttle. The impression I got was he was on a bender. His wife had divorced him and I do believe, although it's not mentioned in the movie, I believe it mentioned in an interview he had also within the past few years euthanized his father. (Which a specific date is never given for in Star Trek V.)
Old 05-28-2009, 08:54 AM
Lieutenant

Sensibly what they should have done was give him a commendation and/or medal, promote him to full Lt at the end of the movie, and then just advance the timeline 5 years for the next movie to deal with his promotion to captain as the opener when he finally takes command of the Enterprise. Promoting him from cadet to captain stretches credibility but then to place him in charge of the Federation's flagship... that's just crazy or rather it panders to the reality tv generation who think that success should be handed to you on a plate.

Last edited by Pauln6 : 05-28-2009 at 08:57 AM.