The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > I don't care what you say, I liked the romance(SPOILERS)!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2009, 02:11 PM
Lieutenant

I prefer Starfleet to retain its military overtures. I don't object to relationships amongst the crew and nor does Starfleet unless it starts to affect performance.

I hated the way the crew were so unprofessional and shambolic in Enterprise, often criticising T'Pol and Malcom for wanting to be professional. Bones could get away with it because he was a doctor, but the Chief Engineer has to be professional (take note Simon Pegg in the next movie). I was so annoyed when Archer invited Trip to join him on a planetary survey as a jolly! So if you are a mate of the Captain you get privileges even when you are not due leave and when you have no relevant skills for the mission - atrocious leadership!

I'm abivalent about the romance in the movie but hesitant because it seems to be misrepresenting Spock and Vulcan mating rituals. I ground my teeth when Uhura (and Chekov for that matter) deserted their posts while on duty and I was mortified when Spock spent time snogging Uhura on the transporter pad when they were both on duty. I'm willing to chalk it up to extenuating circumstances this time. Brief finger-fondling might have made me cringe less.

And why was Chekov given the conn at all? Surely he was the most junior officer on the bridge? The conn is traditionally handed to the helmsman and/or usually to a Lieutenant. Uhura outranks him and was only denied command of the bridge in the sixties due to racist concerns (she got to command the bridge in TAS). It was a wierd choice to make Chekov a bit older just to squeeze him into the plot and wierder to put him in charge just to save naming another character. Either name the helmsman or Uhura should have been left in charge in my view.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:18 PM
Midshipman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGElder View Post
What part of unethical don't you understand? UN-ETHICAL = Against the rules, Spock is the rulebook. At this stage in his life he hasn't yet learned from his association with Kirk and crew that you need to bend the rules sometimes. He is motivated by logic. He is free now to pursue a relationship but should not have had anything going on with uhura in this movie.
Bend the rules... talk about splitting hairs. You don't learn how to bend the rules, you learn what rules not to bend, and usually the hard way. Among friends, in a life and death situation, "rule" bending is overlooked.

I am in the top 4 of management for my company. We all need each other and certain things, certain minor things, are overlooked. That's just the way it is. It's called 'your friend's got your back'. Especially if it's something as silly as this. What part of kissing do you not get?

Just who in that transporter room was supposed to report this minor infraction?

Everyone complains about the lack of character development and that the closeness of the crew was not conveyed... well there it is. It's just a good thing you weren't the red suit in the room that got a good employee fired!
Old 05-26-2009, 02:19 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
I hate to say it. But when this all got started they were probably supposed to be sort of a U.N. type force but with much bigger guns. Federation council = UN security council with its permanent big shots and a bunch of smaller ones. In ways the PD is sort of like how it wouldnt get involved in 'smaller' matters. Posturing but no action. Even then it was weak posturing because of compromises and self-interest among its members. Certainly not an exact parallel but a pretty decent metaphor.

Old old old argument but perhaps the relationship laxness seen in Trek works today in that force as well.
XD I just...I cannot even say how much I appreciated Chekov sharing my "Why would you give the Conn to this person?!" reaction on screen. It was extremely satisfying to see it acknowledged how Starfleet just...behaves like the U.N. if somebody suddenly handed them guns with all their beaucracy and lack of strict military order, exactly.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:23 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauln6 View Post
I prefer Starfleet to retain its military overtures. I don't object to relationships amongst the crew and nor does Starfleet unless it starts to affect performance.

And why was Chekov given the conn at all? Surely he was the most junior officer on the bridge? The conn is traditionally handed to the helmsman and/or usually to a Lieutenant. Uhura outranks him and was only denied command of the bridge in the sixties due to racist concerns (she got to command the bridge in TAS). It was a wierd choice to make Chekov a bit older just to squeeze him into the plot and wierder to put him in charge just to save naming another character. Either name the helmsman or Uhura should have been left in charge in my view.
I missed this while posting, but as I just said above I took the "handing Chekov the Conn" thing to be a joke about former Star Trek's complete inability to maintain order on the bridge. In this case, at least almost everybody's some kind of noob so it's incrementally more forgiveable and Chekov actually NOTICES it's retarded, making it funny as heck and such a payoff for me.

I agree 110% with your first p'graph though. The new movie was SO MUCH more what I wanted to see and am able to enjoy in terms of military professionalism and lack of totally retarded chains of leadership.

I did personally enjoy the romance a lot. But, once again, I could write it off as a ship of scrub kids. If they were all 7 years older I'd expect them to behave as on the Kelvin, which was a well run ship. I teared up all four times I watched that (cried twice) because...that is exactly what gets me, THAT is what I girl over, not mookie snogging stuff. Sticking to military order and a code of honor in the face of certain death and making the hard choices in the correct way.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:26 PM
Ensign

In light of keeping with the title of this thread (well part of it anyway) "I don't care what anyone says", I have to say my preference is still Uhuru/Kirk. Each time I see the movie, I am convinced even more. Forget the predictability of it, or that Uhuru is too good for kirk (according to some) their chemistry is just too amazing for me to ignore.

It might never happen, but that is what I wanted to see. The chemistry between Pine and Sadana is undeniable and each and everytime they are onscreen together you can't help but be drawn to both of them no matter who is oncreen with them.

I really hope I see the attraction continue in the next movie. Kirk might not be able to have Uhuru (gasps...shudders at the thought) but I definitely want to see interaction between them in the next film. There is an undercurrent of sexuality between them and I would like that to continue going forward. The look Kirk gave Uhura after she finished kissing Spock is something I think they could continue to build on, but I will settle for more revelation on their undeniably chemistry onscreen. Maybe Kirk is still interested but backs off because of spock. More interaction between them with those silent sexual tension moments... I'll settle for that. Even when kirk/uhuru were just talking about the ship etc they just ooozed chemitry. Even if the writers never go there, it would be madness not to have them interacting more.

So while it would "seem" as if Kirk won't get Uhuru, I'd like the chemistry between the two of them to continue and since this is an alternate reality, hey anything can happen.. LOL
http://blogs.nypost.com/popwrap/phot...pine-chest.jpg

Last edited by Royale : 05-26-2009 at 02:46 PM.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:51 PM
Lieutenant Commander

I think one reason Star Trek is doing so much better than Wolverine, Terminator or Watchmen is because of.... drumroll please... the women in the audience. All the times I've watched it I've seen lots of women in the audience and very often they've come as a group not just with a guy. This is why Spiderman did so well, too. And, might I add that I think the romance element between Spock and Uhura is what has attracted lots of female fans.

Regarding military protocal, well, who knows what's going to happen in a fully sexually intergrated military. Kirk was born on a starship. How many babies are born on aircraft carriers? No many, I'd bet. So clearly things change when you're out in the middle of nowhere without a port of call in sight. Perhaps a better analogy to Star Trek's ships are the first ships bringing colonialists to America. They may have been military but they had families on board too.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:55 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royale View Post
In light of keeping with the title of this thread (well part of it anyway) "I don't care what anyone says", I have to say my preference is still Uhuru/Kirk. Each time I see the movie, I am convinced even more. Forget the predictability of it, or that Uhuru is too good for kirk (according to some) their chemistry is just too amazing for me to ignore.

It might never happen, but that is what I wanted to see. The chemistry between Pine and Sadana is undeniable and each and everytime they are onscreen together you can't help but be drawn to both of them no matter who is oncreen with them.

I really hope I see the attraction continue in the next movie. Kirk might not be able to have Uhuru (gasps...shudders at the thought) but I definitely want to see interaction between them in the next film. There is an undercurrent of sexuality between them and I would like that to continue going forward. The look Kirk gave Uhura after she finished kissing Spock is something I think they could continue to build on, but I will settle for more revelation on their undeniably chemistry onscreen. Maybe Kirk is still interested but backs off because of spock. More interaction between them with those silent sexual tension moments... I'll settle for that. Even when kirk/uhuru were just talking about the ship etc they just ooozed chemitry. Even if the writers never go there, it would be madness not to have them interacting more.

So while it would "seem" as if Kirk won't get Uhuru, I'd like the chemistry between the two of them to continue and since this is an alternate reality, hey anything can happen.. LOL
http://blogs.nypost.com/popwrap/phot...pine-chest.jpg
We can each like what we like, but I would like to point out that the photo you link to was part of a deliberate campaign of misdirection. All of the publicity was a careful misdirect. From the trailers, you wouldn't know how much of a Spock story this movie is. This was a very good secret and had a lot of people fooled. I was very surprised (delightfully so) when the scope of the plot unfolded.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:58 PM
Ensign

Agreed cjobpj. It was part of a misdirection and the campaign was brilliantly done..but I think what they forgot in their misdirection, was the uber chemistry between the two.

Everyone knows that the movie has gone in the direction of spock/uhuru but for me kirk/uhuru had me at hello. (regarding the photo... it was just to show how great they look together)

Good point and great insight...my heart belongs to uhuru/kirk though lol

Last edited by Royale : 05-26-2009 at 03:03 PM.
Old 05-26-2009, 03:10 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
Read a few posts above.
I did but all I saw was the reference to the tie between Sarek and Amanda and Spock and Uhura, which I don't need the book to understand, LOL. That was really obvious. I was just wondering if anything was said in the novel regarding Spock and Uhura before the Enterprise. It's not a big deal for be because it's well established that Star Fleet doesn't care about these things. It must be a cultural shift in attitude between now and the future. I can accept that. It's all through Star Trek. But I am curious about it! Enquiring minds want to know.. and all that. LOL
Old 05-26-2009, 03:14 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royale View Post
Agreed cjobpj. It was part of a misdirection and the campaign was brilliantly done..but I think what they forgot in their misdirection, was the uber chemistry between the two.

Everyone knows that the movie has gone in the direction of spock/uhuru but for me kirk/uhuru had me at hello. (regarding the photo... it was just to show how great they look together)

Good point and great insight...my heart belongs to uhuru/kirk though lol
I respect that. I agree there's chemistry. I think this is a great cast and there's chemistry all around. I love Kirk and Spock together. The scenes with those two together are some of the most memorable.

I love the scenes on the Narada and I hope the next movie has more interaction between them.