The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > I don't care what you say, I liked the romance(SPOILERS)!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2009, 06:42 AM
Ensign

I am interested to read what you guys thought about an implied Scotty/Uhura relationship in ST V since no one brought it up yet (I believe). That's when she brings dinner for them and then later lovingly strokes his cheek. If anything, there was more of an implied connection between those two, then any hints between she and Spock. BTW, some people dare not consider V part of canon, shame shame.

I think the relationship was fine, IF it serves a purpose of advancing the characters. If it was just gratuitous, then I think it was an unecessary distraction. I don't even think we need the relationship to continue very long in the next film, and perhaps it will be a very defining moment for Spock to end things so he may focus on his duties.

I did agree that the Kirk/Uhura relationship may have been more interesting an avenue. I think a story line about why the two would never work (although they both have feelings) would be more compelling then seeing a tender kiss here and there between she and Spock.

Ultimately, I think they threw that in there for various reasons, to give Uhura more depth (While filming TOS, the actors were constantly campaigning for more depth and meat to their parts, which ultimately translated in bigger checks and more screentime. George Takei has said that on screen relationships were the way to do it, so it makes sense they followed in that tradition to give Uhura the boost she needed), perhaps to throw a little confusion and controversy to the fans, and also add an element to Spock's hulcan conflict (coined a term?).

Anyway, I look forward to seeing where it goes, but I agree I'd be wary about anything that risks damaging the trinity that is TOS. Kirk, Spock and McCoy should always be the focus of the show. I think its easy to keep Uhura in the picture without damaging that trinity, but I wouldn't support any change to that. It's not about the fact that Uhura is a woman, or the whole boys club thing, its more that the chemistry between these three individuals really provide the pillars and the basis for what we know of the TOS universe. Its what keeps me watching all these years.

Last edited by thegreatgallina : 05-26-2009 at 06:48 AM.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:13 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGElder View Post
Spock could have chosen Uhura certainly, but if we are to assume that this relationship had some history to it, then it would have been unethical at the inception. She was a student and he an instructor. Such fraternization is frowned upon by all institutions, especially the military. Starfleet Academy is based on the history of our naval academies and many regulations and traditions continue. Spock would not have viloated the regulations for his own personal desire. Such an action would have been illogical. It is however possible for him to have a relationship with Uhura now since his bethrothal is likely nullified since she probably died on Vulcan. Now this could provide for a good story line at some point. The relationship with Spock and Uhura continues and then Enterprise rescues a Vulcan crew and Spock's intended is among the crew. He could introduce his lover to his betrothed. Also keep in mind that this interaction between Spock and Uhura may be happening because he is near the Pon Farr cycle and if he believes his "mate" is dead then he can follow his heart, despite how illogical it may be. But For Spock to openly act upon his emotions, I find this hard to believe. Especially given the intensely private nature of Vulcans. Seeing Spock kissing Uhura seemed out of place. Look back at how Sarek(Mark Leonard) showed his affection for Amanda. A touch of the hand, or a shared look carried a lot of impacted when acted well.

All I really want to make sure of is that the new storytellers don't turn our beloved Vulcans into Elves.
You make several good points. I don't know how the military deals with on ship romances. Anyone out there in the military who's faced this situation please chime in....

Ha - Vulcans as elves. Nice LOTR reference there. Everyone knows Vulcans are wizards.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:15 AM
Fleet Admiral

I haven't seen a good vulcan mind probe in years....

Old 05-26-2009, 08:23 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I think the whole thing was an inside Joke cause in TOS Kirk was the first to Kiss Uhura
So they now made it be Spock
Old 05-26-2009, 08:35 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjopbj View Post
You make several good points. I don't know how the military deals with on ship romances. Anyone out there in the military who's faced this situation please chime in....
An unduly familiar relationship between service members within the same chain of command is prohibited under today's regulations. And, even if the two involved persons were completely professional when on duty, the appearance of impropriety (i.e., even if it looks like there's favoritism involved) is bad enough to warrant prohibition.

However, it's been shown time and again that Star Fleet is much more lax about shipboard romances/familiar relationships than today's military.
The "appearance of impropriety" may not be a reason for prohibition in Star Fleet's case.

The United States Navy: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of all Who Threaten It!

"I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'" -President John F. Kennedy

Old 05-26-2009, 09:42 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
I haven't seen a good vulcan mind probe in years....
I'm not even going to write what popped into my head there.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-26-2009, 09:44 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJones View Post
An unduly familiar relationship between service members within the same chain of command is prohibited under today's regulations. And, even if the two involved persons were completely professional when on duty, the appearance of impropriety (i.e., even if it looks like there's favoritism involved) is bad enough to warrant prohibition.

However, it's been shown time and again that Star Fleet is much more lax about shipboard romances/familiar relationships than today's military. The "appearance of impropriety" may not be a reason for prohibition in Star Fleet's case.
Good points.

I think we may be having to deal with that 'laxness' in the future films. And it would probably be even more inappropriate if she were involved with the Captain!

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-26-2009, 09:50 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Good points.

I think we may be having to deal with that 'laxness' in the future films. And it would probably be even more inappropriate if she were involved with the Captain!
And there is the episode where someone almost married her superior officer until he was killed in battle. Since the captain was performing the ceremony he knew about the relationship and had no problem with it.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:21 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
And there is the episode where someone almost married her superior officer until he was killed in battle. Since the captain was performing the ceremony he knew about the relationship and had no problem with it.
In this episode Kirk is about to perform a wedding ceremony between two officers. And there is no evidence that he was her direct superior.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:32 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGElder View Post
In this episode Kirk is about to perform a wedding ceremony between two officers. And there is no evidence that he was her direct superior.
Neither here nor there, but you are wrong.
You do actually watch the episodes, right?

Angela: I'm going to marry you, mister, battle or phaser weapons notwithstanding.
Robert: Well, meanwhile, temporarily at least, I am still your superior officer. So get with it, mister.