The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > I don't care what you say, I liked the romance(SPOILERS)!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #101  
Old 05-25-2009, 10:43 PM
Samuel Samuel is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,882
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGElder View Post
Her name is Nyota Uhura. And the romance was out of character for Spock, no matter how much you liked it.
Exactly. It's supposed to be out of character. I'm sure the writers would be pleased you caught it.
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 05-25-2009, 11:30 PM
Queenie's Avatar
Queenie Queenie is offline
Ensign
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 21
Default

I loved the scenes with Spock and Uhura.
A romance between Kirk and Uhura would have been too predictable. I loved seeing Spock's romantic side, Uhura is VERY lucky.
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 05-26-2009, 03:49 AM
TGElder TGElder is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Indian Trail, NC
Posts: 1,323
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjopbj View Post
Is this true with any romance for Spock? Is he always supposed to be alone? Even in TOS it was clear that Sarek loved Amanda. Why wouldn't Spock, who is even more human, love someone too? Truthfully, would he have stayed with Star Fleet after Vulcan's destruction without someone like Uhura in his life? In TOS, Spock was always on the verge of a nervous breakdown, destroying Vulcan would have pushed him over the edge.

Anyway, Nimoy liked the romance. That's good enough for me.
Spock could have chosen Uhura certainly, but if we are to assume that this relationship had some history to it, then it would have been unethical at the inception. She was a student and he an instructor. Such fraternization is frowned upon by all institutions, especially the military. Starfleet Academy is based on the history of our naval academies and many regulations and traditions continue. Spock would not have viloated the regulations for his own personal desire. Such an action would have been illogical. It is however possible for him to have a relationship with Uhura now since his bethrothal is likely nullified since she probably died on Vulcan. Now this could provide for a good story line at some point. The relationship with Spock and Uhura continues and then Enterprise rescues a Vulcan crew and Spock's intended is among the crew. He could introduce his lover to his betrothed. Also keep in mind that this interaction between Spock and Uhura may be happening because he is near the Pon Farr cycle and if he believes his "mate" is dead then he can follow his heart, despite how illogical it may be. But For Spock to openly act upon his emotions, I find this hard to believe. Especially given the intensely private nature of Vulcans. Seeing Spock kissing Uhura seemed out of place. Look back at how Sarek(Mark Leonard) showed his affection for Amanda. A touch of the hand, or a shared look carried a lot of impacted when acted well.

All I really want to make sure of is that the new storytellers don't turn our beloved Vulcans into Elves.
__________________
TGElder NCC 1701-E
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 05-26-2009, 04:19 AM
Tryst Tryst is offline
Midshipman
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4
Default

No man, Vulcan, Klingon, or otherwise, stops a hot chick from kissing him. Period.

Uhura, while being highly professional (that's all she really had going for her, right? She was the "best"), is also a bit mouthy and willful. I kinda agree with the "Oh what the hell" attitude on Spock's part.

Someone once said, "If you're going to have a race horse, you've got to let her run".
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 05-26-2009, 04:35 AM
TGElder TGElder is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Indian Trail, NC
Posts: 1,323
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryst View Post
No man, Vulcan, Klingon, or otherwise, stops a hot chick from kissing him. Period.

Uhura, while being highly professional (that's all she really had going for her, right? She was the "best"), is also a bit mouthy and willful. I kinda agree with the "Oh what the hell" attitude on Spock's part.

Someone once said, "If you're going to have a race horse, you've got to let her run".
What part of unethical don't you understand? UN-ETHICAL = Against the rules, Spock is the rulebook. At this stage in his life he hasn't yet learned from his association with Kirk and crew that you need to bend the rules sometimes. He is motivated by logic. He is free now to pursue a relationship but should not have had anything going on with uhura in this movie.
__________________
TGElder NCC 1701-E
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 05-26-2009, 04:53 AM
celticarchie's Avatar
celticarchie celticarchie is offline
Lieutenant Commander
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 597
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGElder View Post
Her name is Nyota Uhura. And the romance was out of character for Spock, no matter how much you liked it.
Nyota, yeah I knew that

On to the rest of what you say there.

Out of character yes, but the man has just had his home destroyed and his mother killed. He's now a member of an endangered species and is out of his element because Pike place him in command (a role he's uncomfortable with if he is anything like the Spock from the original). I really don't expect him to act in character.

Put yourself in his place for a moment.

It's like expecting Data to act "in character" when he has his emotion chip installed.
__________________

That
...is the exploration that awaits you. Not mapping stars and studying nebula, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence. - Q
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 05-26-2009, 05:34 AM
zainyochka zainyochka is offline
Midshipman
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3
Default Shocked but loved it!

It was quite unexpected to see Spock in that fashion--however, I absolutely loved it! Afterall, it is an alternate reality now... Spock's guard went down--losing both his mother and his planet, he's still young and inexperienced, half human and still trying to control his emotions due to his age... I think it was appropriate after all he's gone through that his buried feelings emerge.

I think this is going to lead to some exciting twists in future Star Trek movies! How will Spock react? I doubt he'll be open with the relationship and try to go back to being his logical self--but Uhura might carry on some frustration. HMM! We'll see!
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 05-26-2009, 05:49 AM
Saquist's Avatar
Saquist Saquist is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 11,257
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenie View Post
I loved the scenes with Spock and Uhura.
A romance between Kirk and Uhura would have been too predictable. I loved seeing Spock's romantic side, Uhura is VERY lucky.
Black Hottie + Vulcan logical = Hot Logic.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 05-26-2009, 05:52 AM
TGElder TGElder is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Indian Trail, NC
Posts: 1,323
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticarchie View Post
Nyota, yeah I knew that

On to the rest of what you say there.

Out of character yes, but the man has just had his home destroyed and his mother killed. He's now a member of an endangered species and is out of his element because Pike place him in command (a role he's uncomfortable with if he is anything like the Spock from the original). I really don't expect him to act in character.

Put yourself in his place for a moment.

It's like expecting Data to act "in character" when he has his emotion chip installed.
All excellent reasons for something to develop after the destruction of Vulcan, but nothing of what you surmise allows for any history. He would not have pursued a romantic relationship with Uhura simply because it was against the rules for instructors to fraternize with cadets. After Vulcan is destroyed all bets are off. His homeworld gone, his mother dead, his betrothed dead(remember Vulcan marriages are arranged at birth), and with the advice of Spock Prime to do what feels right. Certainly now he can pursue a relationship, but that doesn't give it any place to fit logically in this film.
__________________
TGElder NCC 1701-E
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 05-26-2009, 06:11 AM
Saquist's Avatar
Saquist Saquist is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 11,257
Default

I don't thinkcommand was outside Spock's confort zone in this film.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:26 AM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.