The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > SPOILER Possible Plot Holes? Read, POSSIBLE.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2009, 05:39 AM
Midshipman

Correct on the Hobus star analygy exide! All natural events should still naturally happen in any reality (in my opinion, anyway). Good question Saquist. Only thing I can think of is the amount of Red matter in the latter case being extreme.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:16 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

i still have a problem with the Hobus star going super nova it shouldnt be able to distroy planets Lightyears away in differnt systems.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:34 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
What I want to know is....Why does red matter create a singularity in situation then in a similar situation it creates a temporal vortex that transports him back in time and then in the exact same situation it's ready to destroy his mining ship?

Why wouldn't it just transport him to another time?
Bingo, that's one of those movie inconsistencies. In truth it should have sent him either...

1. Back to his original timeline, which wouldn't make since...or.....
2. Sent him to yet a 3rd alternate timeline of the 2nd one he entered during the first singularity. I like this option better and sounds more plausible!

My 2-cents on this little plot hole.

Last edited by Kataan : 05-13-2009 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Edit...
Old 05-13-2009, 07:45 AM
Captain

If Nero makes any reference to saving Romulus, he is probably refering to the Romulus that now exists in the new reality. That is why he says he will destroy every planet in the Federation.

After he achieves that, maybe he planned to take the Nararda back to Romulus, perhaps to rule. He also would have the tools at his disposal to stop the Hobus star from exploding.

As for the alternate timeline references, I think it would be better explained as an alternate universe. Spock & the Narada not only traveled back in time, they traveled to another universe. This may explain why Spock doesn't try to repair the timeline....he realizes that he is in another universe (again, to sound like a broken record, like the TNG episode "Parallels") and feels that perhaps his destiny is to remain in this universe and help heal Vulcan, as his "prime" timeline is continuing on without him.

Just MY 2-cents...

You people have ruined "Star Trek The Next Generation" for me. You are absolutely the most insufferable group of jackasses I have ever had the misfortune of spending an extended period of time with. I hope you all f@*#! die. - Stewie after spending the day with the TNG cast.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:57 AM
Commander

Quote:
What I want to know is....Why does red matter create a singularity in situation then in a similar situation it creates a temporal vortex that transports him back in time and then in the exact same situation it's ready to destroy his mining ship?

The impression I got was that the key difference is where the Narada was in relation to the singularity when it formed. When it transported him back in time, he was just very close when it formed. When it destroyed him, the event horizon had sliced his ship clean in two.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:14 AM
Federation Councillor

I think I'm going to have to give up trying to make any kind of sense out of the plot, personally. Because it really is beyond any kind of sense, even by Trek standards.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-13-2009, 08:18 AM
Midshipman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thascales View Post
The impression I got was that the key difference is where the Narada was in relation to the singularity when it formed. When it transported him back in time, he was just very close when it formed. When it destroyed him, the event horizon had sliced his ship clean in two.
How about the integrity of the ship's hull? When the Narada passed through the first, perhaps the the ships hull was strong enough that the singularity just pulled the ship in to it. The second time the Enterprise had been blasting away at the Narada and Spock flew the Jellyfish in to it. Weakening the hull so as the Narada could not survive the sigularity's gravity well.

Justa thought.

The plot hole that has been bothering be is how did Nero know when Spock would emerge from the singularity?
Old 05-13-2009, 08:27 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_evil View Post
hmmm, interesting though here.....if the star was meant to blow up in the first place, therefore destroying romulus, wouldn't making it a blackhole do the same thing?

not pulling the planet in persay but destroying the planets sun?

how long could life possibly survive in that case as well???

but in that case, people would survive, they'd just have to relocate
No. People seem to think that once a star becomes a black hole, it's some sort of vast, cosmic vaccuum cleaner... this is not the case. The gravity of a collapsed star remains the same. The only thing that changes when a star runs out of fuel and collapses, is it's VOLUME. It shrinks, and because of that, you end up with an entire star's gravity well in a very, very small space. (If the star is large enough to begin with, that space ends up being zero, and like the Cheshire Cat, fades away entirely, leaving behind only it's grin of a gravity well.)

If our Sun were to collapse into a black hole tomorrow, the Earth would continue to happily orbit around it. (We'd all freeze, of course) But the gravity coming from the sun's location would be the same as it ever was. Only when we sent someone to go check out what happened, and they got close enough to get caught in the tidal forces, would the hole's monsterous nature be revealed.

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:44 AM
Midshipman

Quote:

In the first instance they also had the power of a super nova to to hurdle them through time. Second the second time his ship was in fact split in two by the event horizon.

Spock Prime staying in this Alternate Universe may be because he sees no logical way of returning to "his" time line because he would have to A find a star as big as the first one and B cause it to supernova.

I know you might ask why wouldn't he just use the sling shot method they used in TOS, well honestly I don't know.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:48 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

Probably because he'd end up getting a visit from the "Office of Temporal Affairs"... and that's worse than a tax audit!

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.