The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > SPOILER Possible Plot Holes? Read, POSSIBLE.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2009, 05:51 AM
Ensign

Default SPOILER Possible Plot Holes? Read, POSSIBLE.

Not sure if this is a plot hole or not. Nero says the ONLY way to save Romulus is to destroy Vulcan and the Earth. BUT, since Nero destroyed Vulcan, doesn't this ENSURE Romulus will be destroyed in a future singularity (because the existing red matter is exhausted and Vulcan, the planet who would later invent it, is now destroyed?) Yes, Romulus can work on creating more red matter, but it was clear this technology is far beyond their capabilities even in the future. This is important because the singularity promises to destroy Earth and other planets as well.

Presumably, the star exists during Kirk's time. I do not quite understand why Nero just didn't destroy the star in Kirk's time.

Lastly, Spock is aware of the existence of the Guardian of Forever. While I am sure he wouldn't agree with taking advantage of the power of time travel at the risk of future time lines, BUT, certainly the lives of six billion people would beg consideration. I don't know what the next movie will be about, but it certainly appeared that Spock Prime, while devistated, was not planning on restoring Vulcan.

Just some thoughts.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:04 AM
Midshipman

hmmm, interesting though here.....if the star was meant to blow up in the first place, therefore destroying romulus, wouldn't making it a blackhole do the same thing?

not pulling the planet in persay but destroying the planets sun?

how long could life possibly survive in that case as well???

but in that case, people would survive, they'd just have to relocate
Old 05-09-2009, 07:07 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

wow....my brains...all over the wall...
do you really think Nero thinks that logically? He didnt mean to go back in time!
and now all he wants is revenge! when revenge is all on your mind, you dont care about anything else cause whats the point? how can you be certian that you will actually go back to the future!?
Old 05-13-2009, 04:51 AM
Midshipman

Nero never said that destorying Vulcan would save Romulus did he? I thought he just wanted to destroy Vulcan to make Spock suffer like he had when he watched Romulus die? Just my pennies worth.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:58 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamb14 View Post
Nero never said that destorying Vulcan would save Romulus did he? I thought he just wanted to destroy Vulcan to make Spock suffer like he had when he watched Romulus die? Just my pennies worth.
Maybe he thinks that Vulcan had something to do with the star exploding to begin with. He was off planet. He could have not known. of course this is going by movie knowledge alone. not the Countdown comic. which is why they should have made the movie longer and given more info. They limited Nero to being nothing more than a thug.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:09 AM
Midshipman

Regardless of 'countdown', according to Spock's mind meld with Kirk, I think Nero is aware that the only thing destroying Vulcan will do is hurt Spock, not stop any future events. It's just a revenge tactic, nothing more. Unless I missed some dialogue...I was busy trying to explain to my son who Spock was..lol.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:15 AM
Lieutenant

well since this is an alt. universe, i can say that the hobus star that went supernova in the 24th century that destoryed romulus might or probably won't go sopernova in this alt. timelime. remember that the prime timeline and the alt. timeline are 2 totally different times

All i ask is a tall ship, stars to sail her by.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:21 AM
Fleet Admiral

What I want to know is....Why does red matter create a singularity in situation then in a similar situation it creates a temporal vortex that transports him back in time and then in the exact same situation it's ready to destroy his mining ship?

Why wouldn't it just transport him to another time?

Old 05-13-2009, 05:21 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enterprise NCC-1701-A View Post
well since this is an alt. universe, i can say that the hobus star that went supernova in the 24th century that destoryed romulus might or probably won't go sopernova in this alt. timelime. remember that the prime timeline and the alt. timeline are 2 totally different times
well not necessarily. Its 2 different times but its the same. i know its confusing. figure it this way, if there is a tree growing in 1950. you go into the future and cut it down in 1980. the tree is gone. now say you go into an alternate reality of 1979 and kill the person who is going to cut it down. that tree will grow past 1980 unless some other force acts upon it. So..lets put it into star trek terms..

The hobus star will still explode in whatever reality unless someone acts upon it.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:28 AM
Ensign

I've watched every episode of every series, most of them on their original airings. I've never bought a book or a dvd though.

If I looked for plot holes in trek, I would've stopped watching years ago. I feel you have to suspend your disbelief to enjoy trek. Meaning don't look too closely.

To me trek has always been action adventure, science fiction with a message thrown in.