The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Your views on the characters *Warning Spoilers*
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2009, 10:01 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
Well he was not a perfect kid either. But he diffinatly did not do 99 percent of what Pine did with the roll. Kirk was a rebel but one that was not a troublemaker rebel.
You also need to keep in mind that the TOS version of Kirk also had a father who raised him, and that he he entered starfleet at a younger age. Pine version grew up MUCH differently, and this alone would explain the differences in the character. Maybe you and I didn't see the same movie.....
Old 05-10-2009, 04:50 AM
Ensign

I really think Uhura wasn't that bad because we didn't know a great deal about her in the original, and was that really her first name we heard?
Old 05-10-2009, 04:54 AM
Federation Councillor

Yes, it was her first name. It's been her first name unofficially for years, and now it's official.

Nyota Uhura.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-10-2009, 04:56 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
The acting in the movie was so poor its hard to find a starting point. Often I would see one actor and think it was spock but then it turned out to be McCoy but then McCoy acted like Spock. But then I think the actor who was suppose to be playing McCoy kept getting the Movies confused. At one point he does a good Indiana Jones impersonation and then several times I kept wondering if he thought he was Han Solo.

And who was that person who thought they were Captain Kirk? Captain Kirk was not a rebel or troublemaker when he was in the academy.

Star Trek 11

Grade for Acting: F--

Bomb
They legalized the greens finally didn't they?

It's one thing to dislike the movie, that's your right as an irrational trekkie who shuns the light of day.

But to dump your venom on actors who did an absolute bang up job, that's just pathetic.

Acting was fine. You are just too angry to care. RAWR!
Old 05-11-2009, 06:16 PM
Ensign

Default Loving Uhura

I will qualify this post by saying that I am a woman of color who has loved Uhura since I watched the shows in my grandmother's living room. So I will have to respectfully disagree with the previous post. Granted that I felt that the scene on the transporter pad at the end was a tad overdone and out of keeping with just plain old military protocol, let alone Starfleet protocol. Still, the original Uhura wasn't stupid enough to jump in the middle of five guys throwing punches in a bar, and this one wasn't going to do that, either. And I didn't think she was needy at all- I thought she was needed. Hey look, your lover just lost his mother and planet, the LEAST you can do is give him a hug- its not as if she choose that time to ask him if their relationship had a future. And I liked her being snappy to Kirk- heck, she'd been keeping him on his toes since their first scene, so why should she stop?

In any case, I, like everyone else, loved McCoy, loved Spock, thought Kirk was very good, liked Sulu and Chekov, could have lived without the Ewok and the Ice Planet. Want to know if Spock still plays the harp and if Uhura still sings. How may days until the next adventure?
Old 05-11-2009, 06:37 PM
Lieutenant Commander

I thought Pine was fantastic. He really is the narrator of the show. Most of the story is through his eyes and he does a bang up job of portraying Kirk's compassion for his crewmates by the end of the movie. His growth from self pitying youth to thoughtful leader was very well done.

Quinto takes my breath away. When he's on the screen I am at a total standstill. He is why I want to see the movie again. And again. I can't define what he does on the screen that has this affect on me. My reaction is so total, so visceral, I feel I can almost touch him. Quinto doesn't act. He becomes.

Urban was equal to Pine in the fantastic catagory. He made me laugh so many times. I can't wait for him to tackle McCoy's medical and humanitarian attempts to help Spock deal with his emotions.

Saldana did something few women can do: She kept up with Quinto and put Pine's Kirk in his place. She plays Uhura as smart and sexy. I am grateful to her for that. She and Quinto had such chemistry on screen. Wow.

Cross, Greenwood, Ryder - all good. All very effective.

Cho and Yelchin were very good too. Very much in character: strong, smart and funny.

The only character quibble I have - and this is a very minor quibble - is how they introduced Scotty as comic relief. I thought the "food" bit went on a bit much and they movie didn't convey Scotty's brilliance. That is my only quibble and I'm sure it will be better in the next movie.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:42 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamarinaDC View Post
Granted that I felt that the scene on the transporter pad at the end was a tad overdone and out of keeping with just plain old military protocol, let alone Starfleet protocol.
The writers made an effort to point out how she and Spock were working to keep their private life from affecting their decisions. I think the transporter scene was the way it was because both of these young people thought it would be the last time they saw each other. Plus, it was only in front of Kirk and Scotty, as I recall. Not really in a public.

The leap is going from Nimoy's celibate Spock to Quinto's sexual one. Once I accepted that, the rest was easy.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:48 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheQ View Post

That and her standing around with a look of helplessness on her face when there was a fight going on, and the whole "...captain" snide remark to Kirk when he was made acting captain.
I didn't mind the "captain" remark under the circumstances but I did wonder why she didn't go for help or something when the security thug guys were about start wailing on Kirk. She saw it coming and really didn't try very hard to stop it. Could have been a bit more forceful there and the cadets probably would have listened to her.

Or a the very least she could have called for help or...something. idk I thought her behavior was a little odd in that scene. Otherwise, I thought she was fine. idk, I didn't find her very memorable but as I said in another thread, I think that's more a result of the writing than it is the actress. The acting was great but it's like the character was largely defined by the people around her and not as an individual. Definitely the weakest character for me. We just still know so little about her compared to the other characters and while Uhura is far more fleshed out than she ever was in TOS or the movies, the character is still almost a little 2D compared to the others.

The character I absolutely fell in love with was Kirk. I thought I would look forward the most to Spock but Kirk stole the show for me. The swagger was perfect and I like that he's very good at just getting back up and brushing himself off when he falls and getting on about his business, confidence and pride still intact.

Didn't see enough of Sulu but I LOVED that he got to show off his sword fighting skills. Sulu has the same 2Dish problem that Uhura has. Maybe more so. But I loved what we did see of him.

Chekov was utterly adorable. :3 I like that they brought the character back to an intelligent presence. Excitable and a bit naive maybe, but very capable. He was one of my favorites.

Scotty was hysterical without seeming like a buffoon. You could still see how talented and intelligent he was but I love his easy breezy attitude.

Spock I only really appreciated on the second go 'round. He was good the first time I watched but watching for the second time and seeing all of the body language that I'd missed the first time and all of the subtle tones and speech patterns. It was pretty fantastic.

McCoy. OMG I LOVE McCoy. I love the relationship between him and Kirk and how Kirk exasperates him rather often but McCoy loves him anyway in spite of it. Kind of reminds me of my sister and I. Drive each other nuts but the affection runs deep.

All in all, my favorite is, hands down, James T. Kirk, which is interesting because my favorite TOS-era character is Spock. I'm not sure what that says. Chris Pine just did such a fantastic job with the character, I even love pre-Starfleet Kirk's fratboy ways. "Yes you ARE fine without it."

I would have let him buy me a drink. Hey, it's a free drink.

Last edited by AyanEva : 05-11-2009 at 07:05 PM.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:59 PM
Ensign

Exactly. I felt Spock, Kirk, and McCoy (of course) were really acted out to the best of their ability. They really nailed the Kirk and McCoy relationship, with the "Damnit, Jim!" and so on.

The only thing I felt was terribly out of character was Spock jettisoning Kirk. It's definitely against Starfleet regulation, cause good lord--Starfleet would have been out of some damn good first officers if they could get removed for arguing with the captain. I thought that's what Riker and Chakotay always said "they wouldn't be a good first officer if they didn't do that?" XD
Old 05-11-2009, 10:45 PM
Commander

All the characters were Spot on except for Sulu who was a little weak That was really one of the strong points of the film for me...one of the few.

-Free Enterprise