The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Your views on the characters *Warning Spoilers*
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2009, 02:52 AM
Ensign

Default Your views on the characters *Warning Spoilers*

I saw the movie last night and all I can say is, is that it was absolutely fantastic, like I nearly wanted to squeek like a girl which for me is rather...disturbing, moving on.

However the characters were what really took the cake.

So what did you think of the characters, did they suit the role? regardless of how they looked? do you think they portrayed the characters positively or negatively? Let us know.

Granted I knew Zachary Quinto would do a bang up job as Spock and frankly he didn't fall short of expectations.

Chris Pine as Kirk really was surprising, I knew he'd have his own take but how he managed to show an extreme likeness to Kirk without immitating William Shatner, which was staggering and frankly I'd easily say he's the new James T. Kirk for this reboot.

Leonard Nimoy. The name speaks for itself, only his peak performance as always and really bonded well with Quinto.

Karl Urban I think is my absolutely favourite character in the movie, the moment you heard someone arguing on the way to the shuttle in the first part of the movie you just knew it was him. His attitude, his likeness, his lines and frankly his looks towards Deforest Kelley were top notch and I think I'd have to say he brought a modern version of Bones to life.

Zoe Saldana, I was expecting more of a model/powerpuff play when I first found out who was playing the part of Uhura and I wasn't entirely sure what to expect. But to be honest she really blew the part away and was fantastic, she brought a younger, new generation, not so much rebelic but more relatable version of Uhura and really seemed to connect with the part like Nichelle Nicols.

Simon Pegg at last. When I found out Paul Mcgillion wasn't playing the part I was disappointed but Simon Pegg really suprised me, he did an unbelievable Scotty and really brought a lot of humour (sorry I'm Australian that's how we spell it) to the movie, as well as a really close portrayal of James Doohan and really did a really good job. I really think he suits the role.

John Cho, I really think he did a good version of Sulu as we've never really seen Sulu when he was young, he did a really good teenage kickass pounding sort of job. However, has anyone noticed that George Takai was Japanese and John Cho is Korean? just putting that out there :P

Anton Yelchin really did a great Russian accent as his parents are Russian, some people complained that he was annoying at times with his voice but I think he was fine. Really funny character and really did a great job on the role of Checkov.

Bruce Greenwood was also great, I really like the way he played Pike, he's one of my favourite characters to be honest, and near the end when you see him in a wheelchair several of us made beeping sounds when we saw him like that. Really fine job and I wonder if they'll squeeze him into the next one.

Overall I think the characters were top notch and I'm glad J.J Abrams picked who he did with the writers as I can now see why he did, they just suit the role and don't take Star Trek for some cheap sci-fi show and really gave the respect each character deserves. I'm really glad with the outcome of this movie and I'll definitely be seeing the sequel they have installed for us.

Again Karl Urban kicks ***

Last edited by Ennex : 05-09-2009 at 02:57 AM.
Old 05-09-2009, 03:34 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Too true, the characterisations really made the film for me.

Bruce Greenwood did a GREAT job giving dignity and nobility to our limited knowledge of Pike.

Zachary Quinto is a shock when you first see him onscreen so much is he Spock. The surprising thing is that for a film portraying Spock across a broad range of emotions, he can play it small and subtle too.

Karl Urban was fantastic.

The cool thing was that these actors portrayed genuine characters, caused you to reminisce about the previous actors to portray those characters and yet were very much their own portrayals too.
Old 05-09-2009, 05:57 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

The acting in the movie was so poor its hard to find a starting point. Often I would see one actor and think it was spock but then it turned out to be McCoy but then McCoy acted like Spock. But then I think the actor who was suppose to be playing McCoy kept getting the Movies confused. At one point he does a good Indiana Jones impersonation and then several times I kept wondering if he thought he was Han Solo.

And who was that person who thought they were Captain Kirk? Captain Kirk was not a rebel or troublemaker when he was in the academy.

Star Trek 11

Grade for Acting: F--

Bomb
Old 05-09-2009, 06:12 AM
Vice Admiral

read shatner's collision course,kirk was a troublemaker,as for the movie u re terribly wrong
Old 05-09-2009, 06:41 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrek79 View Post
read shatner's collision course,kirk was a troublemaker,as for the movie u re terribly wrong
Well he was not a perfect kid either. But he diffinatly did not do 99 percent of what Pine did with the roll. Kirk was a rebel but one that was not a troublemaker rebel.
Old 05-09-2009, 06:45 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

acting was amazing, i dont know what this clown was talking about!

These are just a few word explainations

Pine: Awesome cocky kirk!

Quinto: More developed Spock! Awesome

Urban: Channelled Kelley perfectly!

Pegg: Stole every scene, hilarious! perfect

Yelchin: Perfect accent (my fiance being russian)

Cho: awesome fight scene! Takei was better

Saldana: finally! Uhura has more of a role than "message from starfleet captain!"

Greenwood: awesome trek dad!
Old 05-09-2009, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennex View Post
However, has anyone noticed that George Takai was Japanese and John Cho is Korean? just putting that out there :P
This was actually a concern John had and mentions in Star Trek’s Cho Speaks Out on Hollywood.

In the article John talks about his concern that fans would be upset a Korean-American was playing Sulu instead of a Japanese-American.

George Takei told him that Gene Roddenberry actually meant for Sulu to represent multiple Asian countries. The Sulu Sea is what his character is named after and it touches many Asian countries. He said Gene didn’t want Sulu to be Japanese-American, he wanted him to represent a part of the world that he wanted on the bridge of the Enterprise.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:14 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

wow ST Redshirt...should i bow? lol
Old 05-09-2009, 09:49 PM
Ensign

I loved the character who did Chief Engineer Olson played by Greg Ellis, most probably because he was the first member of the Enterprise crew to die and he just happened to be a red shirt :P
Old 05-09-2009, 09:54 PM
Ensign

I liked all of them

The one I liked least, actually, was Uhura. I thought she was a little too "needy", not like the Uhura in TOS that was relatively strong. I.e, in the elevator where she's kissing up Spock like it's nobody's business and is like, "how can I make it better"? that he lost basically his entire race.

That and her standing around with a look of helplessness on her face when there was a fight going on, and the whole "...captain" snide remark to Kirk when he was made acting captain.

I was like, better get used to it, miss prissy-b***h, he's gonna be your captain for a longggg time.