The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > So How Did This Timeline Get By Daniels And His Group?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2009, 04:58 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaksajak View Post
As for the rest of the 'timefleet,' they probably gave up a long time ago. Seems like a fruitless effort?
I can only imagine the constant pandemonium at their HQ.

"Oh snap, on top of the Borg trying to prevent first contact, we've got some Romulan psycho going back, and he's killed Kirk's father, great... speak of the devil, who let Kirk go back in... Oh wait, he's in the 1980's getting those whales, that's okay. But we should do something about Nero, so, Daniels... Daniels, what are you doing... Is that Archer with you again?! For crying out loud, go put him back in the 22nd century right this-- Oh what the hell is Janeway doing NOW?!"

Last edited by Kaboom : 05-08-2009 at 05:43 PM.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:36 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamisonB View Post
I like the point you bring up, however, the problem is not that you are mostly correct, it is that we were left in this crappy timeline at the end of the movie. If what you are saying (of which i like and quite agree with) is true, then the movie should have ended with a view from the TNG point of view to show that everything is all right.

Unfortunately, this did not happen (oh i wished that happened) and we were left with this wrong Enterprise and crew at the end of the movie. This ending leaves some of us feeling that this is now how Star Trek is (from now on) or the stories will be told now from this timeline. That is what is hard to swallow.

Unlike the Mirror Universe episodes from TOS, DS9 and ENT, we were left with the understanding that all the mahem was left in that universe and the next adventure would be in the established Star Trek time-line. Sadly, this is not the case with this movie and now all future movies, TV shows will now be devoid of that rich history that was established over the last 40 years.

Someone has said this in another thread, If we are now stuck in this timeline, why do we even care about Star Trek, the history, the stories or the people if we are no longer going to be exploring that universe any further?

I couldn't have said it better myself, I was actually thinking about this very thing while I was out at dinner tonight and was going to come back and comment the very same type of thing, but alas JamisonB has beat me to the punch and I aggre with what he says above. The last part of his response starting with "Someone has said in another thread..." says pretty much how most trekkies that are having problems with the movies ending probably feel.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:44 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaboom View Post
I can only imagine the constant pandemonium at their HQ.

"Oh snap, on top of the Borg trying to prevent first contact, we've got some Romulan psycho going back, and he's killed Kirk's father, great... speak of the devil, who let Kirk go back in... Oh wait, he's in the 80's getting those whales, that's okay. But we should do something about Nero, so, Daniels... Daniels, what are you doing... Is that Archer with you again?! For crying out loud, go put him back in the 22nd century right this-- Oh what the hell is Janeway doing NOW?!"
I completely agree. I mean everyone talks about oh we shouldn't mess up the timeline but then.......They go and do it anyway. It's like well since we mentioned it that's following it right?
Old 05-08-2009, 05:52 PM
Commander

Daniels was only really involved in that "temporal cold war" silliness, wasn't he? Which was, I assume, resolved during the 22nd century... Not that I've seen the last two years of Enterprise yet.

This is exactly why time travel shouldn't become a mainstream, routine or easy process in a series like Trek. You get too many situations that are just a case of, "why don't they change it?"

I much prefer having time travel happen due to random, rare and unrepeatable accidents or anomalies. Like the damage caused by a black hole that's strong enough to stop an unstoppable supernova

Old 05-08-2009, 06:16 PM
Lieutenant

Daniels didn't fix this because apparently...there are two types of time travel...

In one...you go back within your own universe and everything gets altered...which can lead to time paradoxes that can destroy the universe...

In the other, you go back and cause a new reality to be formed...but it's one that doesn't affect the universe you are from, essentially causing a new universe to be formed and the universe you are from also goes on happily.

Let me explain it using "City on the Edge of Forever"
In type A Timetravel, McCoy goes back in time, changes everything and the results are immediately felt everywhere except on the planet surface...the Enterprise disappears, the Federation never forms, ect. What we saw in the episode.

In type B Timetravel, McCoy goes back in time, and from Kirk and the rest of the universes' perspective...nothing happens. Unfortunately...this then changes Kirk and Spock going back to get McCoy purely a "we must get our Doctor and friend back" mission, and would allow them to go in phasers blazing to do it.

Clear as mud...or is it Mudd?
Old 05-08-2009, 06:38 PM
Lieutenant Commander

While all of this conjecture is fine for sport, does it really matter? Yes, one could say, if they were researching a new movie or perhaps writing a book. It really is just fiction. I like coming here and reading what people write and maybe writing something myself, but it's like...come on. And you wonder why people think 'we' are a bit eccentric? If you spent as much time working on a real problem as you do on this fakeness we might reach warp speed before the twenty fourth century.

I saw it twice--once last night and tonight. It was entertaining. But dudes and dudettes, it's not logical to debate something that is unreal. Is it?
Old 05-08-2009, 06:39 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSalon View Post
While all of this conjecture is fine for sport, does it really matter? Yes, one could say, if they were researching a new movie or perhaps writing a book. It really is just fiction. I like coming here and reading what people write and maybe writing something myself, but it's like...come on. And you wonder why people think 'we' are a bit eccentric? If you spent as much time working on a real problem as you do on this fakeness we might reach warp speed before the twenty fourth century.

I saw it twice--once last night and tonight. It was entertaining. But dudes and dudettes, it's not logical to debate something that is unreal. Is it?
I am doing it for fun, sport, whatever...

I'm now financially strapped and finding cheap, even free ways to entertain myself. This is one of the free ones...
Old 05-08-2009, 06:40 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Okay, I get it...
Old 05-08-2009, 06:53 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Sisko View Post
The only movies they can do now are just sequels to this universe B (Star Trek 2009) or a whole new crew in the 25th century in the prime universe (universe A).
I hate it that its called a alternate timeline when it really should be called a alternate dimension. With the advancement in Quantum physics, the data is strongly pointing that our universe is like a soap bubble in a a bubble bath. The Universe more likely to be called a Multiverse. And theories of singularities of black holes on how they can bend spacetime suggest wormhole to another multiverse.