The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Canon war (Spoilers)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2009, 09:01 AM
Federation Councillor

And the biggest mantra in film is - keep it simple, don't lose your audience.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-08-2009, 09:07 AM
Midshipman

I completely agree with the original post, this has been bugging me since I saw it last night. While the idea may be that this is an alternate timeline and the original one is still in place, what I really am not happy about is that the writers/producers took the easy way out. It would seem that the same basic story (putting aside for a moment other canon issues) could have been told, but resetting the timeline in the end.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:08 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
And the biggest mantra in film is - keep it simple, don't lose your audience.
That is what makes it so great. I mean my wife liked the movie more than I did and she (doesn't even like Star Trek). So JJ Abrams succeeded in hitting his non-Trek audience as far as I am concerned. What a brilliant film!

-Captain Jonathan Archer
Old 05-08-2009, 09:08 AM
Federation Councillor

But you would have been expecting that. It's not 'new' to reset the timelines and it would also have been the easy way to invalidate every 'big' change they made.

oops - that's to mdtrekker's post!!

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-08-2009, 09:13 AM
Midshipman

point taken
Old 05-08-2009, 09:18 AM
Fleet Admiral

It's about unpredictability and playing with the expectations of us fans. What is the purpose of a prequel if you know that everything and everyone is safe just because it or they exist in previous Trek incarnations?

That would be like Worf's holodeck program with holodeck securities on, without thrill and purposeless.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:19 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
It's about unpredictability and playing with the expectations of us fans. What is the purpose of a prequel if you know that everything and everyone is safe just because it or they exist in previous Trek incarnations?

It's like Worf's holodeck program. Without holodeck securities off, it would be without thrill and purposeless.
Neat analogy

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-08-2009, 09:20 AM
Ensign

Well having read the interview, it's basically what I expected, and I'm not sure it's to be regarded as so satisfying to any possible problems that any opinion to the contrary ought to be responded to with an angry guffaw and a commentless link to it, as though it automatically solved the problem. I had already considered the possibility that the original timeline somehow continued after the change, and I addressed it in my first comment. Since I had already considered it, then I was already a step ahead of the interview's explanation. For the justification to be true, it would have to be accepted that the moment one goes back in time, one's already in another universe, not just when a change occurs; you don't hop universes every time you act. But rather than hopping universes, isn't one merely returning to a further-back point in the 4th dimension, as surely as stepping backward merely takes me back a few feet in the 2nd dimension? Is time not just another direction within our one universe? Thus, the time-travel is merely moving about in one's universe, just as surely as I'm about to move about in the street on my trek between houses. The original conundrum applies, and it is not so easily solved a problem that anyone who still has it is annoyingly misinformed. Alright?

That being said, it sounds like I should reiterate this point: I fully appreciate the OOC intentions of the writers: they created a brilliant story and used a genius tactic to free themselves and have outside-the-box ideas about what stories to develop.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:26 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Commodore View Post
Well having read the interview, it's basically what I expected, and I'm not sure it's to be regarded as so satisfying to any possible problems that any opinion to the contrary ought to be responded to with an angry guffaw and a commentless link to it, as though it automatically solved the problem. I had already considered the possibility that the original timeline somehow continued after the change, and I addressed it in my first comment. Since I had already considered it, then I was already a step ahead of the interview's explanation. For the justification to be true, it would have to be accepted that the moment one goes back in time, one's already in another universe, not just when a change occurs; you don't hop universes every time you act. But rather than hopping universes, isn't one merely returning to a further-back point in the 4th dimension, as surely as stepping backward merely takes me back a few feet in the 2nd dimension? Is time not just another direction within our one universe? Thus, the time-travel is merely moving about in one's universe, just as surely as I'm about to move about in the street on my trek between houses. The original conundrum applies, and it is not so easily solved a problem that anyone who still has it is annoyingly misinformed. Alright?

That being said, it sounds like I should reiterate this point: I fully appreciate the OOC intentions of the writers: they created a brilliant story and used a genius tactic to free themselves and have outside-the-box ideas about what stories to develop.
I stand by my post in this thread. If the timelines hadn't split, the Time Guys would've undone Trek XI.