The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Not Parallel Universe!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2009, 04:26 AM
Midshipman

Thumbs up Not Parallel Universe!

I disagree with ST:XI being a different universe, parallel or timeline branch, that a few peeps are talking about.
The way i see it after watching the film which i thought was excellent, was that Old Spock and Nero have just altered the future in the same way as seen in other films such as Back to the Future, Terminator and Timecop to name a few, there will be some changes but most of what we all know and love will stay the same! :-)

What do you think??
Old 05-08-2009, 04:49 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by JParker View Post
I disagree with ST:XI being a different universe, parallel or timeline branch, that a few peeps are talking about.
The way i see it after watching the film which i thought was excellent, was that Old Spock and Nero have just altered the future in the same way as seen in other films such as Back to the Future, Terminator and Timecop to name a few, there will be some changes but most of what we all know and love will stay the same! :-)

What do you think??
Well, Spock already said on screen that this was an alternate timeline. It's pretty interesting that Kirk expresses the same feelings that many Trekkies here have expressed: "You changed our lives."

Had the alternate timeline not happened, Kirk would still have met his father, and Spock's homeworld would still be around.

On the other hand though, you cannot stop forward progression.

That's what makes this movie (even though it is alternate timeline) very much still Star Trek. It's where Nero ultimately failed, because he was destined to fail. The Federation still one. Maybe not so much "destiny", if you don't believe in that thing, but the determined forward progression of evolution. Events want to get from point A to point B, if you, or someone like Nero, try to change it, it will still get to point B by slightly different means.

So Kirk's father was killed, Jim Kirk still joins Starfleet. So Nero's meddling postponed the Enterprise finishing, that means Pike still went to Talos, but on a different ship. So Spock's homeworld was destroyed, 10,000 Vulcans still survived and will get tons of help from the Federation. And the Vulcans colonize a new planet (maybe even one with a red sky that looks more like the original home planet from TOS, which leads one to believe that perhaps Vulcan already suffered such a planetary devestation, maybe by natural means, Nero didn't know this for some reason, and ended up changing only how Vulcan was destroyed by doing it himself).

That's just one of the many explanations that shows most if not all the TOS episodes still happen almost the exact way (or in many cases the exact way) it does in TOS.
Old 05-08-2009, 04:51 AM
Vice Admiral

It is an alternate timeline, at least. There are too many visual and chronological differences for it to simply be an altered future. Besides, Robert Orci stated it was an alternate timeline. I've also heard that Spock actually explains this fact to Kirk in the movie. So it should be pretty straight forward.

I personally like to think of it as an alternate universe altogether. Especially due to the Delta Vega situation. The planet is a completely different composition and in a completely different location from what it was in WNMHGB. And there are other things that are different from the pre-Nero timeline that don't line up with the original TOS timeline. That would suggest alternate universe. To me anyway.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:03 AM
Fleet Admiral

A parallel universe is the same as an alternate timeline in fiction.
But in reality General Relativity doesn't even support timetravel and thus "alternative universes and time travel. At least that is my understanding.

Old 05-08-2009, 05:04 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
A parallel universe is the same as an alternate timeline in fiction.
But in reality General Relativity doesn't even support timetravel and thus "alternative universes and time travel. At least that is my understanding.
Have you heard about the "soap bubbles"?
Old 05-08-2009, 05:05 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
I'm sure soap is something a lot of Trekkies haven't heard of. LMAO

(I'm kidding!)
Old 05-08-2009, 05:06 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShirtWalking View Post
I'm sure soap is something a lot of Trekkies haven't heard of. LMAO

(I'm kidding!)
Old 05-08-2009, 05:26 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
You mean the envirement of "foam" that supposedly could spawn ours and other universes?

Old 05-08-2009, 05:30 AM
Captain

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JParker View Post

What do you think??
I think you haven't paid attention too well.

It's an alternate timeline.

The writers said so.

The movie makes it clear.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:38 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

It is an 'alternate' reality to the one original spock knew, but it doesn't mean both realities continue on their own... there is no longer a universe where Nero and Spock didn't come back through the 'black hole' there is only the universe where it did happen... if you want to call it an 'alternate' fine but there is no way to even accidently (beam, rift in space, etc...) find yourself in the reality where Vulcan doesn't get destroyed anymore... There is no 'logical' reason to explain how both universes co-exist... Nero going back in time wasn't a 50/50 'coin flip' - it was an event- it happened- no one was close to stopping him.