The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Implications and Potential of New Timeline
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2009, 08:57 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamisonB View Post
To the question of "what happens now?"

Pray that the movie flops or underperforms, they explain to JJ that he should be working on Cloverfield 3 or 4 or whatever and the next person that take over the reigns go back to the Prime Time-line.
You make the assumption that going back as you suggest guarantees a better movie. Or perhaps you dont care how well a movie does, so long as it doesnt disturb your unique setup of how things should be.

It's an interesting question. Would you rather have this incarnation of Trek be very successful? Or would you rather have one that goes back but is a total flop? A or B.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:35 AM
Midshipman

I hope Captain Braxton or Crewman Daniels comes and erases this timeline from ever existing.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:39 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlarJotunn View Post
I hope Captain Braxton or Crewman Daniels comes and erases this timeline from ever existing.
You mean you hope their counterparts will.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 05-09-2009, 12:52 AM
Rear Admiral

One thing that must be frequently repeated is that this new timeline/universe does not erase all that happened in the original timeline/universe. For all intents and purposes, none of the events in Star Trek XI happened, except for

In this new timeline, though, we do have essentially a clean slate where anything can happen
Old 05-09-2009, 09:36 AM
Midshipman

Khan's sleeper ship is still out there, but who is to say that Kirk et al will be at the right place and time to find him? Khan may just keep floating in space in this universe.

However, V'ger is out there as is the whale probe etc. Senior Spock can give warnings about that. In the Foster adaption, Spock says he will share all the information he has. That is a lot of information about events and technology.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:42 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorWho View Post
What worries me is...

1. Is everything that Kirk and Company did in their TOS voyages is gone.. or rewritten...

2. Thus does this mean they all will rethink and do everything the way they did it in the Series... I think not...

3. Naked Time has been wiped away... Balance of Terror Gone... Everything we Grew up with or came to know is now in limbo...

4. Khan... Klingons, Romulans, Enterprise A, B, C, D, E... Picard and Company The Next Generation... How are we suppose to say ok cool.. I mean I am not upset I enjoyed the movie... but this begs the question... What happens now?
Get it through your head that all this still happened. I don't understand why you don't comprehend that this movie took place in a different universe.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:46 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Trekker View Post
Khan's sleeper ship is still out there, but who is to say that Kirk et al will be at the right place and time to find him? Khan may just keep floating in space in this universe.

However, V'ger is out there as is the whale probe etc. Senior Spock can give warnings about that. In the Foster adaption, Spock says he will share all the information he has. That is a lot of information about events and technology.
now why would spock like to spoil what is yet to come. he isn't because it isn't his place. old spock is just a simple vulcan now with just one task: relocating the vulcan people.

"I was out saving the galaxy when your grandfather was in diapers. Besides the galaxy owes me one" Captain James T. Kirk 2371
Old 05-09-2009, 09:51 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Capt. Kirk Fan View Post
now why would spock like to spoil what is yet to come. he isn't because it isn't his place. old spock is just a simple vulcan now with just one task: relocating the vulcan people.
Are you high? Just...wow.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:54 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore View Post
One thing that must be frequently repeated is that this new timeline/universe does not erase all that happened in the original timeline/universe.
After viewing the movie and having more knowledge of what is going on than only when things were in speculative phase, I submit that the "original timeline/universe" was never involved at all.

The countdown comics were a bone thrown to existing hardcore Trek fans to help them connect one to the other and placating them without divulging the entire thing is a complete reboot from start to finish.

I may have forgotten oodles of Trek history but I'm fairly certain that General Order 7 comes before General Order 13. Meaning, that things were already divergent before Nero ever appeared. Subtle clue, but one I found satisfying personally.

In my opinion, Spock and Nero are indeed from the alternate universe's future and not from what is termed "original universe". Another subtle clue; Future!Spock's ship utilizes terminology unique to this new universe and not the "original".

All in all, I'm very pleased with the end product.
A satisfying film and a new direction. Thank you JJ and company.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:54 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Capt. Kirk Fan View Post
Because now the odds are against replicating the miraculous successes in ST:TMP and ST:IV. He will take precautions to preserve Earth. Also allowing Khan to revive without proper precaution can only bring misery. Allowing that would be illogical.