The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Implications and Potential of New Timeline
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2009, 12:43 AM
Ensign

Default Implications and Potential of New Timeline

Bear with me--I may be missing some details from the new film, and may be forgetting things from "Balance of Terror" but I have some interesting thoughts on the direction of the new timeline...

So, much of the discussion about where Trek will go from here has focused on the future, but what I'm very curious about is the past. I'm not going to say I want a flashback film or anything, but there are some interesting new ideas to explore based on the Nero-timeline.

Before I go further, I'd like to discuss my thoughts on this re-boot, in brief. I didn't like the idea of recycling old characters, but I liked the movie a lot. My favorite Trek series continues to be Deep Space Nine, in large part because it was the boldest and most unconventional of them all. It deepened our understandings of some familiar cultures, and expanded the universe exponentially by getting us a little bit outside of Starfleet. So, part of me wants the new franchise to be bold, and explore those strange new worlds and get outside of the familiar confines and cultures of the Trek-universe.

That being said, I'm also incredibly curious to see how the familiar cultures fit into the new timeline. I want to see how the Klingon's fit in, and what they're relationship is with the Fedeation. I want to see how the Romulans fit in, especially since Starfleet had this significant encounter with them long before TOS's engagement in "Balance of Terror." Maybe Romulan/Federation relations were accelerated after Nero's appearance? While that acceleration is certainly something that might be explored off-screen in novels or comics or whatever, the possibility is still intriguing. The relationships between the cultures in this new Trek seem similar, but different.

My question then, is where do other people stand? Do you want conflicts growing out of exploration? Do you want the focus on the recontexualization of familiar enemies like the Klingons, Romulans etc...?

I know similar questions have been posed on this board, but we didn't have all the facts yet.

I personally lean toward exploration, to see something new and different. But the new timeline's potential for re-imagining previous cultural relationships is very, very enticing.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:55 AM
Lieutenant

Yeah, that is the million dollar question, isn't it? Where DO they go from here for the next movie (provided they make another one, but unless this really flops big time, I think it's a foregone conclusion that they will)?

spoiler

"I'll never lose you!"
Old 05-08-2009, 03:11 AM
Lieutenant

Klingons - 47 destroyed ships later, Romulan conflict? Federation alliance? Atleast the D-7 looks like the D7 in this universe.

Romulans - Vulcans are gonna be pissed big time. Some are gonna kick Surak's Kirshara to the ground and go medieval on the Rommies. I vote Sybok being that leader. :P

Federation.........................who knows what you can play them as?
Old 05-08-2009, 03:24 AM
Ensign

Klingons seem to have taken heavy blow and they sure aren't gonna go silent about it, no matter who's to blame.

While Vulcans are logical and are generally going to understand that it was one guy acting (no matter how pissed they may be under radar), the rest of the Federation might well see it as an attack on the organization, especially since Earth was targeted too. Kirk even says that "getting Nero or some of his crew out alive may be the only thing to prevent war with Romulans".

I guess Klingon-Romulan war is a hard fact at this point. The question is, which side will Federation choose with its strongest pacifist race more or less silenced or unwilling to speak up in this case.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:54 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy View Post
Klingons - 47 destroyed ships later, Romulan conflict? Federation alliance? Atleast the D-7 looks like the D7 in this universe.

Romulans - Vulcans are gonna be pissed big time. Some are gonna kick Surak's Kirshara to the ground and go medieval on the Rommies. I vote Sybok being that leader. :P

Federation.........................who knows what you can play them as?

Oh GOD no, please no Sybok! Now is their chance to completely eradicate any iota referring to that atrocity of a movie (Star Trek V), which was so awful that in my mind, never happened! (A nightmare that Scotty had after a week of binge drinking , perhaps?)

"I'll never lose you!"
Old 05-08-2009, 09:26 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy View Post
Atleast the D-7 looks like the D7 in this universe.
Yes, but the battlecruiser is now called warbird

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 05-08-2009, 10:23 AM
Midshipman

What worries me is...

1. Is everything that Kirk and Company did in their TOS voyages is gone.. or rewritten...

2. Thus does this mean they all will rethink and do everything the way they did it in the Series... I think not...

3. Naked Time has been wiped away... Balance of Terror Gone... Everything we Grew up with or came to know is now in limbo...

4. Khan... Klingons, Romulans, Enterprise A, B, C, D, E... Picard and Company The Next Generation... How are we suppose to say ok cool.. I mean I am not upset I enjoyed the movie... but this begs the question... What happens now?
Old 05-08-2009, 10:24 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorWho View Post
What worries me is...

1. Is everything that Kirk and Company did in their TOS voyages is gone.. or rewritten...

2. Thus does this mean they all will rethink and do everything the way they did it in the Series... I think not...

3. Naked Time has been wiped away... Balance of Terror Gone... Everything we Grew up with or came to know is now in limbo...

4. Khan... Klingons, Romulans, Enterprise A, B, C, D, E... Picard and Company The Next Generation... How are we suppose to say ok cool.. I mean I am not upset I enjoyed the movie... but this begs the question... What happens now?
No-one knows what happens now. And that's fantastic.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:26 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorWho View Post
What worries me is...

All of the above still happened in the original universe that Spock and Nero left when they were pulled into the black hole.

But in the new universe - anything is possible.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-08-2009, 10:36 AM
Vice Admiral

Default new timeline-no peace with the klingons

star trek VI never happened,i find the idea cool,it ll give the trek universe room to expand in a more war like way along with the exploration,why cant we have both?