The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Some Thoughts (Spoilers)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2009, 09:35 AM
Federation Councillor

You're still talking the permanent destruction of the homeworld of a major Trek power. To me it seems balanced. Each universe loses a major planet.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-08-2009, 10:07 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlescott View Post
I have to disagree here, I don't know if the universe will be reset or not, but I certianly wouldn't say NOTHING would do it. After watching Spock die, the Enterprise blown to bits, and many things like that happen, at this point, ANYTHING can happen! If the PTB decide to reset the timelinen, I think it would make an incredible movie plot. If they don't reset it, I will be equally happy, This movie was an awesome experience just as it was, it definately stood on it's own feet!!!
..There was NO attempt in the movie to stop the time travel incursion. It was simply accepted that Nero caused an alternate timeline. The ONLY way it could be reset at this point would be in another movie. You could either take another ship back in time, prior to arrival of the Narada, and close the singularity before it comes thru, OR you could take a more advanced ship and destroy the Narada before they it destroys the Kelvin and hope nothing you did was seen by the Kelvin, bevause even THAT could change the timeline. So to be literal, it is NOT impossible to "reset" the Trek universe and end up back in the original timeline/universe, it's just NOT going to happen, that much I am certain of.

Last edited by MrQ1701 : 05-08-2009 at 12:09 PM.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:50 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
Did you watch the movie? There was NO attempt in the movie to stop the time travel incursion. It was simply accepted that Nero caused an alternate timeline. The ONLY way it could be reset at this point would be in another movie. You could either take another ship back in time, prior to arrival of the Narada, and close the singularity before it comes thru, OR you could take a more advanced ship and destroy the Narada before they it destroys the Kelvin and hope nothing you did was seen by the Kelvin, bevause even THAT could change the timeline. So to be literal, it is NOT impossible to "reset" the Trek universe and end up back in the original timeline/universe, it's just NOT going to happen, that much I am certain of.
There is another way to fix this. actually two ways.

1. Pull a Bobby Ewing. Say the Abramsdisaster never happened.

2. Declare the Abramsdisaster a movie in the normal Canon universe. Afterall they still shoot movies in the 23rd century right?

What would happen to start either would be Paramount firing Abrams for this movie which is on tract to earn 28 million dollars by midnight sunday- monday (7 million times 4 days equals 28 million)

Then the new Director (Meyer and Nimoy I hope) would declare Abrams a flake and ignore his little universe and start a new movie after Nemisis or Voyager.

Simple as that.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:53 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
What would happen to start either would be Paramount firing Abrams for this movie which is on tract to earn 28 million dollars by midnight sunday- monday (7 million times 4 days equals 28 million)
That math is pretty far off. Thursday wasn't a full day of screenings and not held everywhere. Fri/Sat/Sunday are and with larger numbers of screenings.

It's totals on those days will be greater.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-08-2009, 12:01 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
That math is pretty far off. Thursday wasn't a full day of screenings and not held everywhere. Fri/Sat/Sunday are and with larger numbers of screenings.

It's totals on those days will be greater.
Ok, I agree I forgot that it did not start till 7pm (Central Time) instead of the usual time of noon
Old 05-08-2009, 12:07 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
yes its true its fiction. However some things have a way of coming alive. You just can't ignore 43 years of Star Trek History the way Abramsdisaster has.
I agree with you, tell that to Big D. I was defending the discussion itself which he was blowing off as irrelevant, which in the real world it is, but we ENJOY talking about it, speculating, and creating fan solutions to inconsistencies. I think you and I are on the same "side"

Last edited by MrQ1701 : 05-08-2009 at 04:14 PM.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:08 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
I agree with you, tell that to Bid D. I was defending the discussion itself which he was blowing off as irrelevant, which in the real world it is, but we ENJOY talking about it, speculating, and creating fan solutions to inconsistencies. I think you and I are on the same "side"

Thank you and I apologize for mis-directing this post to you
Old 05-08-2009, 12:53 PM
Ensign

Well now having just got back from seeing the movie I found it a great film! As a fan from day one (old enough) I like the reboot (as I am calling it) except for two things. Too much use of the lens flares (very distracting) and two why does JJ have to do all his movie logos in that same ,as I call it, transformers grey steel look? Also I think the last thing you see at the end of the credits should have been a the very beginning of the credits. My 2 credits worth!!!
Old 05-08-2009, 01:17 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
You know when I heard Vulcan got destroyed I figured they'd done something they were going to seriousley regret but considering their culture survived in the minds of the council then all they really need to return to their former glory is produce more Vulcans which isn't all that hard so stories starring Vulcan's other than Spock or occuring a Vulcan planet are still possible with only minor changes.
Exactly.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 05-08-2009, 04:02 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D View Post
Point to remember: none of this happens in "our" universe. It's all fiction - non-existent events happening to non-existent people. All that's different now is that we've got two, alternative versions of the same imaginary future to contemplate.

No realities were harmed in the making of this film.
Let's try this again since my "sherlock" comment was not liked by ST Redshirt:

YOU miss the point of these discussions.
This isn't the first time you make comments like this and I've already tried to explain to you the fact such discussions are for FUN. If you can't understand that than please refrain from participating and don't state the obvious.

If this new post of mine, which I toned down a notch, gets me slapped with another warning or a "suspension", oh well.