The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Some Thoughts (Spoilers)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2009, 12:02 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Default Some Thoughts (Spoilers)

I am not sure what has set me off tonight. When I read that some feel that Star Trek that we knew was predictable and old and boring, I think that just set me off. But its not just this.

I have come to feel from some on this forum, that you either like Abramsprise or get out of the way. That those who have some sort of feeling for Star Trek and its 43 years of history are nerds geeks and live in basements of their parents.

These are very hurtful comments. I can assure you I do not live in a basement and I think the only items of Star Trek that are on display anywhere in my house is the three DVD set of the origional Star Trek. There are more Vampire Movies than Star Trek Movies displayed in my DVD collection.

I have already made my feelings known about the Destruction of Vulcan, (Which has eaten away at me like a cancer since I saw the Austin showing) and about the so-called time line. In Fact its the destruction of Vulcan that has caused me to hate this move. (And also the fact it was done quickly and with poor Photography)

I wish there would be more understanding for those fans who liked Star Trek for its unique 43 year history. No other series or film could claim such a fictional history as Star Trek. Sometimes Change is not for the better. And I do wonder if Paramount will get what it wants with non-trek people watching this movie.

Thats all I have to say.

Last edited by Magnum : 05-08-2009 at 12:26 AM.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:26 AM
Commander

Quote:
When I read that some feel that Star Trek that we knew was predictable and old and boring, I think I just set me off.
Fair enough. Star Trek was, and still is, an iconic name in science fiction history. It redefined episodic sci-fi television, with an impact that is felt far and wide to this very day.

It's just that it lost its aura, impact, majesty, respect, status... call it what you like, but it lost it during the decline that's taken place over the last decade and a half. What was once a pop-culture phenomenon dwindled into something widely considered irrelevant, unoriginal and unappealing. The great stories remain great, the original ideas remain original - but all the non-great and unoriginal ones that followed had the effect of tarnishing how people perceived the Trek saga as a whole.

Old 05-08-2009, 03:10 AM
Ensign

I too was somewhat set back when Vulcan was destroyed yet knowing fully well that in this, and any other Star Trek Universe, timelines can be reset, damage can be repaired, and that it is all so possible to "put things right, that once went wrong."

If the Romulus destruction timeline was reset why can't Vulcan's?
Old 05-08-2009, 03:12 AM
Lieutenant

No.................. i don't think the Romulus destruction was reset. Romulus is gone in our universe [TNG, VOY, DS9]
Old 05-08-2009, 03:20 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Nothing in this movie made me think there is a 'new' or 'parallel' timeline... Despite uhura's claims of an alternate reality she's not a physicist.

Based on what we 'know' about Star Trek physics this major event has and will change things from here on out... But I believe the movie did a good job showing that perhaps 'fate' does intervene and over time things will get CLOSER to being 'normal' through some natural process... The closing scene with Captain Pike had to resonate with Trekkie's, plus the friendships that would have developed, will develop again- a little differently but as time moves on - for the most part- what would have happened before will find a way to happen again- actually a lot like LOST for those who may be fans of that show...

So yeah... Vulcan the planet is destroyed... but Vulcan the culture wasn't completely lost... and lets face it... Vulcan's (besides Spock) were kind of a-holes anyway most of the time.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:22 AM
Vice Admiral

The destruction of Vulcan did NOT bother me. I realize this is an alternate timeline/universe and things are going to be different. What bugged me was that every little aspect of the Trek universe was changed. I am NOT a hardcore "purist" or "canonista", but I enjoy some a bit of familiarity with the Trek universe. I did NOT get that with this new movie. I'm sure over time it won't bother me as much, but it sure a heck bothers me more now than I thought it would.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:26 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdOPrey5 View Post
Nothing in this movie made me think there is a 'new' or 'parallel' timeline... Despite uhura's claims of an alternate reality she's not a physicist.
Are you serious? It was OBVIOUSLY a altered timeline or parallel universe, so much so the writers even threw in some dialogue to make it clear. Spock even mentions that events have unfolded differently since the destruction of the Kelvin and they will continue to unfold in unpredictable ways. Then at the end the two Spocks are talking and elder Spock admitted to "lying" to AKirk about creating a paradox. That scene inplied Spock prime knew this altered timeline would continue to exist even if Nero was defeated. NOTHING will reset the Trek universe in this new Abramverse.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:45 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
Are you serious? It was OBVIOUSLY a altered timeline or parallel universe, so much so the writers even threw in some dialogue to make it clear. Spock even mentions that events have unfolded differently since the destruction of the Kelvin and they will continue to unfold in unpredictable ways. Then at the end the two Spocks are talking and elder Spock admitted to "lying" to AKirk about creating a paradox. That scene inplied Spock prime knew this altered timeline would continue to exist even if Nero was defeated. NOTHING will reset the Trek universe in this new Abramverse.
I have to disagree here, I don't know if the universe will be reset or not, but I certianly wouldn't say NOTHING would do it. After watching Spock die, the Enterprise blown to bits, and many things like that happen, at this point, ANYTHING can happen! If the PTB decide to reset the timelinen, I think it would make an incredible movie plot. If they don't reset it, I will be equally happy, This movie was an awesome experience just as it was, it definately stood on it's own feet!!!
Old 05-08-2009, 03:48 AM
Midshipman

You know when I heard Vulcan got destroyed I figured they'd done something they were going to seriousley regret but considering their culture survived in the minds of the council then all they really need to return to their former glory is produce more Vulcans which isn't all that hard so stories starring Vulcan's other than Spock or occuring a Vulcan planet are still possible with only minor changes.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:19 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy View Post
No.................. i don't think the Romulus destruction was reset. Romulus is gone in our universe [TNG, VOY, DS9]
Point to remember: none of this happens in "our" universe. It's all fiction - non-existent events happening to non-existent people. All that's different now is that we've got two, alternative versions of the same imaginary future to contemplate.

No realities were harmed in the making of this film.