The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > ***Spoiler*** Best "Trek" film, but the S.T. universe is definitely on its ear
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2009, 11:58 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Eh, I'm cool with it. After all, there are still infinite other universes where Vulcan wasn't destroyed. And for all we know, the next movie might be "Star Trek XII: Un-Destroying Vulcan", or something.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:07 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
Star Trek was never Predictable, Paramount just didn;t care and did not hire good story tellers...

Star Trek was never boring.
xD Did you notice that Voyager and Enterprise consisted of the same five episodes, constantly retold with only subtle differences? Or their constant reliance on dialogue and plot devices that were so cliched that they could almost literally have been created by a Plot Device Generator computer program? To be fair, I enjoyed both shows - but I'm very, very conscious of just how poorly they compare to the superior storytelling of Next Gen and DS9's later seasons.
Quote:
One wonders what would had happened if Paramount had cared and given 150 million to a new Series based after Voyager.
It would've been a great way to dispose of an unwanted $150 million, I suppose - since no-one outside of Trek fandom has cared about the Voyager-era universe for well over a decade. It's had no mainstream recognition or respect since the higher days of Next Generation's popularity, so trying to recapture any enthusiasm would've been a real cat-herding exercise. How do you rebuild interest in a world no-one cares about, when you'd have to recap over ten years worth of forgettable storylines to do it?

That's the beaty of the new film's approach - it goes back to the familiar, iconic Original Series universe - the one that's rooted in pop-culture awareness. But by going back to the very beginning, it's a completely new tale that also doesn't require filling in the back-story.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:29 AM
Commander

It's a NEW Star Trek.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:07 AM
Lieutenant

Destroying Vulcan was a conscious decision! U don't know Abrams if you think he did it for no reason! Go watch Lost! He has a reason, unapparent at first................. but he has a reason! I vote Sybok being the next villain in the series :P
Old 05-08-2009, 04:04 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagaditH View Post
You just now finding out about this? Its been out for a few years. And the extra scenes are good. mostly about Scotty's nephew and the discussion in Kirk's quarters about Genesis.
Plus there are many scenes that have been extended.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:34 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyanEva View Post
I love NOT knowing what's going to happen next. Like, I have NO idea, can't even begin to guess. I love that! It's a sense of adventure that I haven't felt with a Star Trek movie in quite some time. Completely unpredictable and it's pretty great, IMO.

MonsieurHood:

Maybe the 10,000 just referred to the number who managed to get off the planet? Although, that theory doesn't make much sense since they only had minutes to save anyone and there's no way 10,000 people could get off a planet within five minutes, especially since the Enterprise was pretty much the only ship left in one piece. Huh..10,000 is a bit of a small number. Maybe everyone was at the Vulcan Science Academy and didn't bother to leave the planet at an earlier date so there weren't many off-world or something.

OMG, I've pretty much stopped referring to the Enterprise as the Abramsprise. Abramsverse now fully integrated into Star Trek in my head. Mission accomplished, JJ! (I'll keep the Abramsverse moniker just for practical purposes)
Maybe now "Abramsverse" is really no longer an insult? It has a distinctive purpose now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
Star Trek was never Predictable, Paramount just didn;t care and did not hire good story tellers. Then along comes Abramsprise and Paramount waters at the mouth at having a so-called famous director do Star Trek. They even toss the fans out into the cold and throw away 43 years of history just to please Abramsprise.

Star Trek was never boring. One wonders what would had happened if Paramount had cared and given 150 million to a new Series based after Voyager. Now all we have is this Abramsdisaster.
Okay I was wrong about the Abramsverse moniker. I seems some peoples hypocracy knows no bounds. Sheesh
Old 05-08-2009, 05:48 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I agree that the destruction of Vulcan was one of the biggest things I had against this movie going into it... that and Kirk being born on Kelvin... until I found out Kelvin was a starship not a planet. They didn't need to destroy Vulcan though like I said in earlier threads it appears the universe was already trying to 'heal' itself by the end of the movie... Vulcans were a very un-welcoming, un-assimilating people... besides their ambassadors and those on important scientific missions I can believe that the vast majority of the people stayed on Vulcan itself...

Although what was the whole high-command doing in that temple? praying? very illogical when someone is shooting a giant enegy beam drill into your planet and it's shaking apart.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:49 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Does the film take the time to explore Spock's realisation of that?

What I don't get is this: why are people cheering and "thumbs-up"ing that Trek has been so drastically altered? If -- if -- that had to be done, why's that something to cheer about?
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 05-08-2009, 07:02 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN MOUSE View Post
Maybe now "Abramsverse" is really no longer an insult? It has a distinctive purpose now?
I think so. That's why I always used it anyway to begin with. I mean, we need some way to differentiate between universes if we happen to be talking about both in the same sentence.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:07 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdOPrey5 View Post
Although what was the whole high-command doing in that temple? praying? very illogical when someone is shooting a giant enegy beam drill into your planet and it's shaking apart.
Yeah, I wondered what the heck they were doing too. It was pretty useless of them to stand around in a circle and do...what exactly? Building up psychic energy to shift the planet slightly out of phase with the surrounding space, thereby making the drill miss it?

Shouldn't they be sending out communications or something? Giving out evacuation orders, idk. Something besides standing in a circle doing basically nothing.