The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > ***Spoiler*** Best "Trek" film, but the S.T. universe is definitely on its ear
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2009, 10:49 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MirrorUniverso View Post
Agreed.

Now I am at home watching Wrath of Kahn (Director's Cut DVD) on my HD-DVD player (in 1080i upleveled).

/and it is still very cold...... in space.......
There's a directors cut? What did they add?
Old 05-07-2009, 11:01 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyanEva View Post
Maybe the 10,000 just referred to the number who managed to get off the planet? Although, that theory doesn't make much sense since they only had minutes to save anyone and there's no way 10,000 people could get off a planet within five minutes, especially since the Enterprise was pretty much the only ship left in one piece.
But there should be personal shuttles and similar stuff around. Anything warp capable would do, really. Vulcan wasn't said to have many colonies off-planet, but I still highly doubt that those elsewhere wouldn't account for 10.000. Oh well. I bet the planet the Vulcans chose as their new home is Ceti Alpha V anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Dunsel View Post
Creating more bodies is lots of fun. Wish I could help....
Cloning. You heard me, cloning. Federation should be capable of it and it would allow a fast repopulation of the species to ensure its survival.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:08 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
There's a directors cut? What did they add?
You just now finding out about this? Its been out for a few years. And the extra scenes are good. mostly about Scotty's nephew and the discussion in Kirk's quarters about Genesis.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:22 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Vulcan...... gone. Thanks to a singularity of Spock's inadvertant making.

I was very thrown for a loop (as S.T. canon is on its ear), but it is a good fork of a road to go down (it will make for more interesting variations of story lines.

The possibilities are endless (a revised Wrath of Kahn anyone)?

I could care less what some here think is a corporate grab of what we hold dear (for having a summer blockbuster, what we grew up with had to be changed).

Trek is no longer predictable.......

/and after the last 10 years of boring sterile trek, thats a good thing
Star Trek was never Predictable, Paramount just didn;t care and did not hire good story tellers. Then along comes Abramsprise and Paramount waters at the mouth at having a so-called famous director do Star Trek. They even toss the fans out into the cold and throw away 43 years of history just to please Abramsprise.

Star Trek was never boring. One wonders what would had happened if Paramount had cared and given 150 million to a new Series based after Voyager. Now all we have is this Abramsdisaster.

Last edited by Magnum : 05-07-2009 at 11:36 PM.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:24 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
the Uhura variation understandable (regarding the kiss and closeness). Spock is embracing his humanity more..... in honor of his dead mother and his "still there" secondary homeworld.

A nice variation to explore.

/Pocketbooks must be salivating <think of the possibilities re: books>
//side note: shatner is on a lot tonight regarding Priceline commercials <a coincidence?>

Pocket Books has good Star Trek stories coming in all the time. They do not need to worry about Abramsdisaster.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:35 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

The worse mistake was to destroy Vulcan. It was one of the pillars of Star Trek Fans. It is what caused me to rate the movie F- In a poll on line.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:35 PM
Commander

Magnum... Don't worry. I know for definite "OFFICIAL" if not "Canon" fact that the old Trek universe is still there. Could someone help us here and find the Eulogy for Ambassador Spock? I'm sure I saw one. You don't give eulogies when your universe has ceased to exist. So it goes on.

And I am glad. I am and always shall be... A classic trekker. Even as I hope this new trek lives long and prospers, (No still have not gotten out to the theater.) I say be of good spirits because trek was never really lost.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:36 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
Star Trek was never Predictable, Paramount just didn;t care and did not hire good story tellers. Then along comes Abramsprise and Paramount waters at having a so-called famous director do Star Trek. They even toss the fans out into the cold and throw away 43 years of history just to please Abramsprise.

Star Trek was never boring. One wonders what would had happened if Paramount had cared and given 150 million to a new Series based after Voyager. Now all we have is this Abramsdisaster.
Magnum,

To a point I agree with you. Our biggest difference is I really loved the new movie. But I'm also bothered by how dismissive people have become of a lot of good Trek from buying into the "Abrams Saves Trek Narrative" that the media has been pushing.

You're absolutely right, though, that Trek could've been saved by smarter personnel decisions in the creative department--if only the DS9 team had more sway in a post-DS9 world, perhaps.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:40 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
The worse mistake was to destroy Vulcan. It was one of the pillars of Star Trek Fans. It is what caused me to rate the movie F- In a poll on line.
Excellent plot device to destroy Vulcan. Pity is wasn't used in earlier movies.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 05-07-2009, 11:44 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman View Post
Excellent plot device to destroy Vulcan. Pity is wasn't used in earlier movies.
No it wasn't