The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > ***Spoiler*** Best "Trek" film, but the S.T. universe is definitely on its ear
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2009, 10:07 PM
Midshipman

Default ***Spoiler*** Best "Trek" film, but the S.T. universe is definitely on its ear

Vulcan...... gone. Thanks to a singularity of Spock's inadvertant making.

I was very thrown for a loop (as S.T. canon is on its ear), but it is a good fork of a road to go down (it will make for more interesting variations of story lines.

The possibilities are endless (a revised Wrath of Kahn anyone)?

I could care less what some here think is a corporate grab of what we hold dear (for having a summer blockbuster, what we grew up with had to be changed).

Trek is no longer predictable.......

/and after the last 10 years of boring sterile trek, thats a good thing
Old 05-07-2009, 10:10 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MirrorUniverso View Post
Vulcan...... gone. Thanks to a singularity of Spock's inadvertant making.
Does the film take the time to explore Spock's realisation of that?

Quote:
I was very thrown for a loop (as S.T. canon is on its ear), but it is a good fork of a road to go down (it will make for more interesting variations of story lines.

The possibilities are endless (a revised Wrath of Kahn anyone)?

I could care less what some here think is a corporate grab of what we hold dear (for having a summer blockbuster, what we grew up with had to be changed).

Trek is no longer predictable.......

/and after the last 10 years of boring sterile trek, thats a good thing

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-07-2009, 10:14 PM
Commander

They have found a new planet fit for Vulcan colonization, and there are approximately 10,000 of them left to re-populate it. And even though it's not actually Vulcan, they can always refer to it as the "Vulcan Homeworld", that ought to do it. Funny though, considering Vulcan probably had dozens of starships, ambassadors, vulcans on other planets visiting, studying or teaching, there should be a few more than 10,000 around. (Note: I don't mean to sound callous here, just practical.)
Old 05-07-2009, 10:19 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsieurHood View Post
They have found a new planet fit for Vulcan colonization, and there are approximately 10,000 of them left to re-populate it. And even though it's not actually Vulcan, they can always refer to it as the "Vulcan Homeworld", that ought to do it. Funny though, considering Vulcan probably had dozens of starships, ambassadors, vulcans on other planets visiting, studying or teaching, there should be a few more than 10,000 around. (Note: I don't mean to sound callous here, just practical.)
Remember your ST III dear Monsieur - the Vulcans who were rescued have the collective totality of the Vulcan race in their memory banks (same as the theme for ST III) so in recreating the Vulcan ecosphere they just need Vulcan bodies and not the legacy culture.

Creating more bodies is lots of fun. Wish I could help....
Old 05-07-2009, 10:19 PM
Commander

I love NOT knowing what's going to happen next. Like, I have NO idea, can't even begin to guess. I love that! It's a sense of adventure that I haven't felt with a Star Trek movie in quite some time. Completely unpredictable and it's pretty great, IMO.

MonsieurHood:

Maybe the 10,000 just referred to the number who managed to get off the planet? Although, that theory doesn't make much sense since they only had minutes to save anyone and there's no way 10,000 people could get off a planet within five minutes, especially since the Enterprise was pretty much the only ship left in one piece. Huh..10,000 is a bit of a small number. Maybe everyone was at the Vulcan Science Academy and didn't bother to leave the planet at an earlier date so there weren't many off-world or something.

OMG, I've pretty much stopped referring to the Enterprise as the Abramsprise. Abramsverse now fully integrated into Star Trek in my head. Mission accomplished, JJ! (I'll keep the Abramsverse moniker just for practical purposes)
Old 05-07-2009, 10:23 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Dunsel View Post

Creating more bodies is lots of fun. Wish I could help....
OMG!!!
Old 05-07-2009, 10:25 PM
Midshipman

Default The play on Spock's humanity makes......

the Uhura variation understandable (regarding the kiss and closeness). Spock is embracing his humanity more..... in honor of his dead mother and his "still there" secondary homeworld.

A nice variation to explore.

/Pocketbooks must be salivating <think of the possibilities re: books>
//side note: shatner is on a lot tonight regarding Priceline commercials <a coincidence?>
Old 05-07-2009, 10:26 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MirrorUniverso View Post
the Uhura variation understandable (regarding the kiss and closeness). Spock is embracing his humanity more..... in honor of his dead mother and his "still there" secondary homeworld.

A nice variation to explore.

/Pocketbooks must be salivating <think of the possibilities re: books>
//side note: shatner is on a lot tonight regarding Priceline commercials <a coincidence?>
Man, I can't wait for the books! I'm sure there will be plenty of them. They'd be stupid not to put out at least a couple anyway.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:32 PM
Midshipman

Agreed.

Now I am at home watching Wrath of Kahn (Director's Cut DVD) on my HD-DVD player (in 1080i upleveled).

/and it is still very cold...... in space.......

Last edited by MirrorUniverso : 05-07-2009 at 10:32 PM. Reason: spell check
Old 05-07-2009, 10:46 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsieurHood View Post
There may well be more survivors out there - after all, 10,000 was just Spock's ballpark estimate from his log.

The idea of the Vulcans becoming a ruined, scattered people is quite a profound one. It shows the fullest extent of just how much 'new history' can happen in the revised Trek world, and sets in stone the idea that there won't just be a magical transformation episode that turns everything back into what it was in the '60s, Shatner and all.

The 'Vulcan diaspora', if it's acceptable to call it that, makes Spock all the more unique. He's still the only Vulcan in Starfleet for now, and still the only demi-human Vulcan. He's still isolated and ostracised from his people because of his chosen "path", but his people are now a bare glimmer of who they once were. He's even more alone than before. There's a lot they can do with this, if the writing standards remain strong.