The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > The Official "I was wrong about the movie" thread.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2009, 12:57 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdOPrey5 View Post
I just posted a short review in the non-spoiler thread... I was very much wrong about the movie- it was FAR better then I thought it would be. Mr. Foot meet Mr. Mouth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
I hope so, but I will attempt to NOT set myself up for disappointment the way I did with this film.
Maybe that was part of it - expecting too much. You know what happened with Phantom Menace way back. It more often than not won't live up to mental image you have in mind.

Such as with BoP. There are always surprises. Just not all what we think.

For all I know, the same might happen to me tomorrow!

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-08-2009, 12:58 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnyder4 View Post
I'd say not even there.
In fact, I'd say there was more cerebral activity and moralization on an average episode of Friends than in so called Trek TV.
It is interesting how only a literal handful of episodes are held up as (debatable) glory points out of what? 700 or so hours? There is just those few and far between utilized as some sort of justification and generalization. In any bell curve that's a severe failing grade.

But then, Star Trek shines best when it's action/comedy first and maybe slips in something small and poignant to whatever issue a screenwriter may have interjected. <insert end of episode bridge chuckle>
Only a handful of episodes might be controversial, stuff like "Tuvix", only a handful might be brilliant, but on average Trek is intelligent entertainment. Far more intelligent than sitcoms. Not to mention the first pilot which was rejected by the studio ... precisely, because it was considered to be too intellectual and not entertaining enough.
But pressure for "space western" was always counterbalanced by smart scripts.

Last edited by horatio : 05-08-2009 at 01:02 PM.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:32 PM
Rear Admiral

We sold out our 7PM and 10pm show in IMAX.

When the movie was over, most people stood up and applauded and went and bought tickets for today and Saturday.

Man... those were some hungry people. We sold 30 hot dogs just for the 7pm show.

As for me, I loved the movie. And plan to see a couple of more times. I thought all the actors did a great job.
Old 05-08-2009, 04:13 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Only a handful of episodes might be controversial, stuff like "Tuvix", only a handful might be brilliant, but on average Trek is intelligent entertainment. Far more intelligent than sitcoms. Not to mention the first pilot which was rejected by the studio ... precisely, because it was considered to be too intellectual and not entertaining enough.
But pressure for "space western" was always counterbalanced by smart scripts.
NOT anymore! Pew, pew, pew!!!!!
Old 05-08-2009, 04:54 PM
Ensign

"Ok, then when you bring some more men, then it'll be an even fight" *slaps on cheek* "ok cupcake"

Sorry if I got the wording wrong
Old 05-08-2009, 04:54 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdOPrey5 View Post
I watched most of the original Trek movies in the days leading up to this release and I can't say that TWOK was especially cerebral... Are we to believe that Kahn, a genius far beyond Kirk or Spock even, should completely ignore the 'if we go by the book, days would seem like hours' line? other then that what 'thinking' was there? The geniuses tortured an entire station full of scientists but didn't think to look at the transporter room?
xD Nicely put.
The new movie didnt' exactly make me ponder the mysteries of life, but challenges and journeys of the characters - Kirk's realisation about his lost future, Spock's reaction to his personal tragedy - were thought-provoking and engaging for me.

There's plenty to think about in film, as shown by critics who don't pay attention and then complain that fairly major, well-explored plot points don't make sense.

Old 05-08-2009, 05:13 PM
Lieutenant

I was wrong about this movie not providing any insights to TOS, but it did, and in a completely unexpected way...

All this time, I thought the random Red Shirt Security officer getting knocked off every episode was just a tragic coincidence, but now I realize what is really going on...

Kirk is secretly knocking off everyone who beat the tar out of him in that bar...and probably everyone who teased him at the Academy as well...

And Spock and McCoy are in on it!

<joking if you couldn't tell>