The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > The Official "I was wrong about the movie" thread.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2009, 09:14 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thascales View Post
The cop, robot or alien... hmm, hard to be sure. I'm leaning towards robot though. Maybe a primitive android?
Most police I know are primitive androids... (that was a joke !! All you constables out there - I love you all !! )

Not sure about the android argument - think about the timeline and the revolutionary appearance of Data in TNG many many years after this. Even with a warped time line, I think that androids able to ride bikes and write tickets is 100 years plus from this era.

However, one thought I had was that the office is a sort of "probe" - maybe a remotely piloted robotic device controlled from afar by a human.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:15 PM
Lieutenant Commander

I think Hell just froze over.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:50 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Dunsel View Post
Most police I know are primitive androids... (that was a joke !! All you constables out there - I love you all !! )

Not sure about the android argument - think about the timeline and the revolutionary appearance of Data in TNG many many years after this. Even with a warped time line, I think that androids able to ride bikes and write tickets is 100 years plus from this era.

However, one thought I had was that the office is a sort of "probe" - maybe a remotely piloted robotic device controlled from afar by a human.
I think he's just a dude in a mask. His body language and speech is too human for an android... just a synthesiser due to the mask he's wearing. After all, that bike of his can fly - so he'd need something to help him breathe if he's a few thousand feet up and traveling at great speed.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:58 PM
Lieutenant

Congrats man. Im very glad to hear you gave it a chance, and i respect you immensly for having the courage to admit you were wrong. Were i in your place, I don't know if I could do it. Welcome home!
Space, the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its continuing mission, to explore strange, new worlds. To seek out new life, and new civilizations. To boldly go where no one has gone before.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:57 PM
Ensign

Big of you to admit, great of you to post, and really you rock. You gave the film a chance good on you!
Old 05-08-2009, 02:30 AM
Captain

I've been hesitating on posting on this thread because I'm simply stunned. It's a very rare thing, in my experience, to find someone who would so openly admit a change of mind and a change of heart. Usually, in today's socieity (in America, in my experience) people will put on a hard face and even become defensive--even hostile--when faced with an opinion or view that differs from theirs...or to become even hostile when faced with the realization that perhaps their viewpoint was misguided...even wrong. As a manager, I dealt with a personality of this type on Thursday 5/7/08. The professional side of me had to remain calm and kind. The football-player in me wanted to bury this person 5 yards back behind the line of scrimmage. Professionalism prevailed, of course, but I went home very heavy-hearted.

I came home, celebrated a wonderful event with my wife and daughter, then came and logged onto the forums and found this thread. "Could he be joking?" I thought. "Is he yanking our chain?" The more I read and the more I read other posts by you BoP, I realized that this was not a joke or a prank, but that you were exhibiting something most rare among people these days: Humility and Grace.

I bless you, BirdOPrey. No, I'm no Pope or anything like that. It's just a sincere prayer for peace and prosperity, and real love to rest upon your life, because you exhibited a quality that is very rare indeed--and that the world needs more of. I was watching last night "All Good Things..." and during the trial of Picard, as Q was answering the questions that could only be answered in "Yes" or "No", I said to mysef, "Q has a point. Really, with all of the possiblities that mankind could have made since TNG is a "generation" removed from TOS, has it really just boiled down to conflicts with Romulans, Cardassians, and Klingons? Picard didn't learn anything from the 'kick in the rear' when Q hurriedly introduced him to the Borg? Q is right. Picard and humanity is a bit arrogant." I think Picard, and many people in this world, can learn a lot from you, good sir.

Thanks for blessing me with this thread. Not for liking the movie (because, after all, it's just entertainment). No, but thank you for showing that strength and greatness lies in humility and grace.

DoM
Old 05-08-2009, 02:54 AM
Vice Admiral

I was wrong about this movie, well I wasn't actually wrong because I was hopeful my worries would be unfounded. I was mistaken. I'm going to re-post something of mine from another thread. I don't think the "spoilers" are really spoiling anything so I won't hide it.

Where do I begin? This is hard to articulate right now. I enjoyed the movie for what it was, a fast paced space action adventure with enough comedy to lighten the mood. It was also a nice story about how some characters got to know each other better through a shared emergency situation. I am having difficulty calling this movie Star Trek. I KNOW it is Star Trek, and parts of it felt that way, but the vast majority of it did NOT "feel" like Star Trek, not to me. Maybe after waiting for so long my expectations were too high? I don't know. I'll try to break it down a bit.

First, what I liked. I liked the dialogue. I liked the new way the film was shot and the "feel" of the gritty universe. I like the the New Enterprise and even the bridge wasn't too bad. The action was good and the sound effects were awesome. The story was okay.

Here is what I didn't like and some of my nit-picks. I didn't like the fact that nearly 99% of everything was changed from the already established Trek universe. I don't see how the new viewscreen, new phaser, new transporter effects, etc... really seperate this new movie from the rest of the Trek movies. I mean, only us fans will really notice the difference. It's NOT like non-fans avoid watching Trek movies because they can't stand the beeps and blips or the way technology os portrayed. So changinf EVERYTHING was unnecassary and only served to remind fans like me that this really ISN'T the same Trek. While the new ship design was cool, the new warp effects bugged the heck out of me. It was TOO much like ships going into hyperspace in Star Wars. The "BOOOOM" going to warp and "BOOOM" coming out of warp. I also found it funny, not in a good way, that they counted down when waiting to exit warp. What? They can't just say "drop out of warp"? It seemed like they programed in a flight path and then were forced to see it through... "we're going to drop out of warp in 5,4,3...."!! Please, that was lame. The new hand phasers reminded me of pea shooters, "pew, pew, pew", they sucked. The ship phasers were kind of cool, but I couldn't tell if any photon torpedos were ever launched, they all looked the same. That is another nit pick of mine, why did they have to change those too? Why must photon torpedos look like artillery rounds, and not the larger ones we are used to? So how many "cores" did the ship have? I didn't see a warp core, not one we would recognize, were those big silver things multiple warp cores? Another aspect to Trek that serves NO purpose to change, other than to alieanate fans. Almost ALL of these kinds of things bugged me. My significant other, who is NOT a fan, even said this movie was NOT Star Trek!!

Okay, okay... I liked the rebelious side of Spock. I enjoyed the scenes he had with his father. I enjoyed most of the character interactions. The characters were written well and felt like the characters I already knew, except for Scotty. While Scotty was funny, and I enjoyed that, he was not anything like the miracle worker from times past.

The whole story did have a contrived feel to it. Everything did NOT make sense, even for a sci-fi movie. You have the flag ship of a massive federation of planets, and all the cadets or recent grads are BETTER than the officers already posted?? okay, Bones got the position because the CMO was killed, but then he kept the position after everything was concluded? The only aspect of the movie I thought was sort of realistic was that Kirk was NOT given an award for his cheating on the Kobiyashi Maru test, he was "grounded". I had to suspend ALL disbelief in order to enjoy this action space sci-fi movie. But that's all it was, sadly.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:42 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominus of Megadeus View Post

I came home, celebrated a wonderful event with my wife and daughter, then came and logged onto the forums and found this thread. "Could he be joking?" I thought. "Is he yanking our chain?" The more I read and the more I read other posts by you BoP, I realized that this was not a joke or a prank, but that you were exhibiting something most rare among people these days: Humility and Grace.

I bless you, BirdOPrey....
Woah... I do thank everyone for thanking me for posting my honest feelings on the movie- but I don't really feel I'm worthy of some of these comments... When I take a position I feel strongly about I defend it vigirously, I give it my all- if I can do 10 things to further the 'cause' I do them all and then the first couple again- just in case... but sometimes I am wrong- I don't pretend to have a perfect record at the start... only at the end. I do wish more people were more open to changing their minds on things when it is obvious the initial conditions changed or weren't what they expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
Where do I begin? This is hard to articulate right now. I enjoyed the movie for what it was, a fast paced space action adventure with enough comedy to lighten the mood. It was also a nice story about how some characters got to know each other better through a shared emergency situation. I am having difficulty calling this movie Star Trek. I KNOW it is Star Trek, and parts of it felt that way, but the vast majority of it did NOT "feel" like Star Trek, not to me. Maybe after waiting for so long my expectations were too high? I don't know. I'll try to break it down a bit.
The way things looked to me was the least of my worries when it came to maintaining the trek feel... It is 'well established' so to say that each trek series or movie is designed off the best 'real' technology available when the movie was made, and then fit into a bridge that tries to best replicate what we *think* a spaceship 100+ years in the future will look like. I mean in TOS they could transport people, have warp drive, but it was clunky looked technology... Fast foward 30-40 years and we have cell phone/camera/pda's that are far sleeker then any tricorder... So for this movie we got what they think a spaceship will look like with 2009 CGI technology and a 2009 mentality... TV's got wider... so now the viewscreen gets wider... Phasers changed so often does it really matter what they look like in this movie? I didn't feel alienated because of these changes- these are the kind of things that have always been 'improved' with budgets and real-world special effects technology.

The beaming was a little funky- I would have prefered it stay closer to established trek (although even that has changed probably 5 times over the years) but to be fair those effects only worked well on stationary targets.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:52 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I wanted to add more on young Kirk... Although 'this' kirk doesn't know his father growing up that spooky force of 'fate' is at work turning him into the captain he was 'supposed' to be... and the character comes from a smart guy rebelling against a world that doesn't challenge him to the cpatain's chair... but just because this 'kirk' can say 'bullsh!t' and mean it while kirk in st:iv has to force himself to say 'colorful metaphores' doesn't mean he doesn't eventually turn in to very much the same kirk we knew and loved... He's a hero now... he's captain- he will start changing his ways- kind of like a rebel politician who gets into office is forced to temper themselves when the whole world is now watchin... he won't be able to pull off kicking the crap out of other starfleet officers... his diction will improve as he becomes more diplomatic / professional- people will show him more respect and he won't always need to be on the defensive... I can see this young jim kirk becoming the admril kirk of the future- plus still having the guts to steal the enterprise in 15 years if need be to rescue a friend.... or to attempt time travel to save earth...
Old 05-08-2009, 03:57 AM
Fleet Admiral

Saw the Movie!
BUT I will be seeing it again before posting a review.