The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Easter Eggs in Star Trek XI (Spoilers Alert!)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2009, 06:56 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbase63 View Post
Uhura orders a Cardassian Sunrise along with the Slusho...apparently the Federation met them much earlier in this timeline. (DS9)
Did the Cardassians first appear onscreen during DS9 or during TNG? I know there was one in the TNG episode "The Wounded" during Season 4 (ironically played by Marc Alaimo who later became Gul Dukat) but that year was also DS9's first season, if I'm not mistaken...

Last edited by Lady Vaako : 05-08-2009 at 09:41 AM.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:59 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Uhura orders a Cardassian Sunrise along with the Slusho...apparently the Federation met them much earlier in this timeline. (DS9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdOPrey5 View Post
Was it ever made clear when the Feds met the Cardassians? There were Cardassian wars talked about but I see no reason they couldn't have been a fringe far off civilization whose drink recipes spread faster then their military ambitions.
This was not a Federation bar but a privately owned establishment. There is nothing saying that the Feds have to be the first to contact all new species. A private entrepreneur could have brought back, or heard of a Cardassian Sunrise.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:59 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Was it ever made clear when the Feds met the Cardassians? There were Cardassian wars talked about but I see no reason they couldn't have been a fringe far off civilization whose drink recipes spread faster then their military ambitions.
Good point, unlike when the Ferengi and Borg were encountered in what was ment to be first contact in TNG (Im ignoring Enterprise's early contact) the Cardassion were treated as if they had been around for a while.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:17 AM
Fleet Admiral

BTTF2 reference (paradox could destroy the universe)
Eating the apple (WOK)
Drive malfunction (SFS)
Vulcan training (TVH)
Head hits *bang* (TFF)
Red matter looking like Klingon blood in zero-g (TUC)
Ayel's foot coming into screen looks like a Borg scene...
The solution at the end is from INS...

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 05-08-2009, 04:46 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
You're correct. We don't really have a date for first contact with the Cardassians. All we know is that the Federation fought a war with them in the 2350's.
Space, the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its continuing mission, to explore strange, new worlds. To seek out new life, and new civilizations. To boldly go where no one has gone before.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:15 PM
Ensign

SPOILERS (OBV)

I am going to go ahead and blur the line between Easter Eggs, tributes, impressions, and imitation. I will also add some obvious references just for the sake of discussion.

Here we go:

McCoy asks Nurse Chapel (off screen) to retrieve Kirk's vaccine (listen carefully- she may be the blonde woman Kirk oogles)

A brief eery tribute to the theme and ship sound effects during the widescreen establishing shot after Kirk meets McCoy

(Nearly) an original series communicator on board the Kelvin

Most of Spock's childhood/conversation with his father comes straight from "Yesteryear" (TAS).

Obv. some familiar lines:

Prime Spock says fascinating
Young Spock says fascinating
Scotty says he's giving it all its got
McCoy's I'm a doctor not a...
McCoy's your outta your vulcan mind line
McCoy's Greenblooded hobgoblin line

The way Kirk says "Bones" in the last three minues of the movie is ABSOLUTELY delivered with the Shatner swagger, head shake, and delivery. Chilling moment.

Uhura is assigned to the Farragut, which was the first ship Kirk serves on in TOS.

Kirk's taunting of Spock to the point of an emotional violent response plays out very similar to the episode This Side of Paradise (TOS).

Although never mentioned in any shows or movies, the writer's guide that served as the Star Trek bible, to help with continuity and technology, etc. stated that McCoy was divorced and had a daughter who was studying to be a nurse. This daughter is mentioned is in TAS episode survivor. This movie marks the first live action mention of his divorce.

Uhura's first name, Nyota has been uttered for the first time in all of Trek. It has been adopted into canon yet the source was Roddenburry and Nichelle Nichols who came up with the name when developing a backstory. Nyota means "star" in Swahili.

Sulu's fencing was an obvious reference to Naked Time (TOS).

The plot device of McCoy giving Kirk a hypospray to "give him the symptoms" of various diseases comes up frequently in TOS, the most notable being Amok Time (Makes Kirk appear to be dead).

McCoy's seeming fear of flying seems to be a reference to his TOS fear of transporters and is at least related to his disdain for technology.

I am sure there are more!
Old 05-08-2009, 09:21 PM
Ensign

Nero's willingess to die rather than to accept help from the federation references Balance of Terror (TOS).
Old 05-08-2009, 09:37 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:

A shuttle named "Moore" (RDM, anyone?)
Caught that one. Loved it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbase63
Pike in wheelchair at the end and in a grey & white Admiral's uniform (TOS, ST:TMP)
Loved that too!

Old 05-08-2009, 09:50 PM
Ensign

Spock to Spock "a lie?" "an implication" - TUS
Old 05-08-2009, 10:01 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I didn't look for hidden stuff the first time I watched the movie. I just enjoyed it.