The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > What do you think of the movie?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What did you think of the new Star Trek Movie?
Good 130 89.04%
Good but not Star Trek 4 2.74%
Ok 4 2.74%
Ok but not Star Trek 5 3.42%
Bad 3 2.05%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-08-2009, 09:29 AM
Lieutenant Commander

The word "good" does not even begin to cover it... Fantastic is more like it. And yes, it was totally Star Trek.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:48 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Sweet! thanks guys!
I hope your stepson doesn't eat the fish
There's something wrong with me
There's nothing wrong with you
Don't eat the fish
-
System of a Down
Old 05-08-2009, 10:57 AM
Ensign

Yeah, I found it fantastic as well. I expected "good" and got ... "better"! :-)
TOS Fan since 1973

"You know, going back in time, changing history... that's cheating."
- James T. Kirk (ST:XI)
Old 05-08-2009, 10:59 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I rank it 'good'

There could have been improvements, but overall a great Trek movie!

Old 05-08-2009, 11:01 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I enjoyed it the second time around just as much if not more than the first.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:44 PM
Ensign

Well tbh this new film has to be 1 of the best films ever..and i think it has really done a great job of bringing star trek to the mainstream but at the same time keeping the spirit of star trek true to its roots...Basically WOW!!!!!!
Old 05-08-2009, 12:57 PM
Midshipman

The movie was good, not great. but enjoyable.

I really don't like accepting the bitter pill that is "ultimate star trek". This is no different than marvel comics and their desire to "do whatever the hell they want", cannon and origins be dammed. It REALLY feels like a cheap gimmick designed to cut ties with having to keep true to anything and that's probably my only real gripe.

That said they could have destroyed the spirit of trek with this film, and I think they honored it, for the most part.

The acting and special effects were truly amazing.

Last edited by Sinister : 05-08-2009 at 01:01 PM.
Old 05-08-2009, 04:32 PM
Ensign

I REALLY liked this film... I have been a dyed in the wool Trekkie since the early '70's.

The actors were dead on for their characters... there was chemistry between them and continuity with TOS (transporter sound effects, red alert, uniforms, etc). Leonard Nimoy.. wow.. he looks ancient, but REALLY great to see he had more than just a cameo.

I noticed it was explained a few times in the film that this was an altered timeline over the original. Nero and Old Spock really showed they came from a different future than what the movie was set in. I do appreciate the fact that it was explained that Vulcans DO have emotions... they just keep them suppressed.

Chris Pine made for a rough and tough Kirk, so I hope by the next film he's less than a hothead. Shatner was effective with his softspokeness at times.

Urban was FANTASTIC as McCoy... he really honored (IMHO) DeForrest Kelley... I felt like it WAS McCoy on the screen. Quinto looked a lot like young Nimoy and I can see how this movie will spur him onto the road of being more Vulcan than human.

Oh.. and the reference to Admiral Archer... really great!!!
Old 05-08-2009, 04:36 PM
Lieutenant

You know, this movie is good if only for one reason...

It reminded me why I fell in love with the adventures of Kirk and Crew on the Enterprise 26 years ago.

Everything else is icing...sometimes maybe a little too much icing...but icing all the same.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:02 PM
Lieutenant

Loved it. Pine, Urban, Cho, and Pegg are glorious. Yelchin and Quinto have mixed success with their characters (sometimes Quinto just nails Spock, check out the little expressions on the face during the scene with Kirk and Scotty. Other times he falls flat), Saldana's nice to look at but didn't much interest me. But there are no wince moments. The cast does a great job.

Gripes: Didn't like the score at all. It kept reminding me of the new Batman movies. It's great music, but I don't think it really fit Star Trek. And where was Courage's fanfare? Nowhere.

Lots of 'because we can' changes sucked: Phasers fire pulses instead of beams, the new Enterprise is just ugly as sin (though it looks much much much better in motion), the interiors of starships being breweries is just plain weird and doesn't work at all. Pipes? Steam? Giant metal vats? What was JJ thinking? Oh, and people listen to the Beastie Boys on their Nokia players in the 23rd Century while stealing `64 Corvettes. Ookay. Oh, and the computers can be impressively informative, specific, and expository with their warnings.

Spoiler gripes

But! Don't let this long list of whines make it sound like this isn't an unbelievably good movie. It's two hours long, with not a second wasted, and what you see above is all I can think to complain about. Go see this movie. Sure, you have to roll your eyes a bit for the above, but who cares? The story and performances are just brilliant. Oh, and it's actually very light on the special effects, despite what the trailers show. This is a movie about the crew, not explosions and the ship, and I'm very very grateful for that. No Episode III-itis. And I thought the little homages snuck in now and then were glorious - I saw Menagerie and ENT nods, and the ending of the film has a nice tip of the hat to both TOS and TNG.

Star Trek won't be taking any Oscars, but it's Star Trek, goddamnit! And it certainly ranks up with the very best in the series. I'm going to see it again tonight.

Last edited by Glacial : 05-08-2009 at 05:15 PM.