The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Movie Discussion/ SPOILER reviews HERE - *SPOILERS* enter at own risk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #791  
Old 06-03-2009, 07:33 PM
Queenie's Avatar
Queenie Queenie is offline
Ensign
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 21
Default

Quick question...

How did Kirk actually cheat on the Kobiashi Maru test?
Reply With Quote
  #792  
Old 06-03-2009, 11:34 PM
PoorPorthos PoorPorthos is offline
Midshipman
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3
Default

It's supposed to be unwinnable, as demonstrated in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Kahn. You leave the freighter, the freighter crew dies. You intercept, you are surrounded by decloaking Klingons. You focus on fighting, you'll lose and the freighter will explode, you help the freighter, you'll be a sitting duck and die.

Kirk cheated by hacking the programming and making it so that he created a scenario where he could win. Hence why Bones and Spock (in ST2 and 3) remind him that he always cheats death, instead of facing it.
Reply With Quote
  #793  
Old 06-04-2009, 03:39 AM
StarTrekXIfan's Avatar
StarTrekXIfan StarTrekXIfan is offline
Ensign
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 55
Default

I like the fact that Kirk cheats on the test, after all it's deliberately unwinnable so it shows Kirk likes to think outside the box as well as proving he will do what ever it takes to save peoples lives. I like his 'I don't believe in no win scenarios' attitude.
Reply With Quote
  #794  
Old 06-04-2009, 11:06 AM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,077
Default

It's also why he could never win the KM without cheating the way he did. Facing death was not an option for him.
__________________
'If the Apocalypse starts, beep me!' - Buffy Summers
'The sky's the limit.....' Jean-Luc Picard, 'All Good Things'


courtesy of Saquist
Reply With Quote
  #795  
Old 06-04-2009, 12:00 PM
horatio's Avatar
horatio horatio is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 9,282
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
It's also why he could never win the KM without cheating the way he did. Facing death was not an option for him.
Until TWOK. I think the only time that theme has been readdressed again was in TUC when he ponders on Rura Penthe about the political future, beyond his own not so bright personal future. He does not give up but acknowledges that he could die in this icy place.
Reply With Quote
  #796  
Old 06-04-2009, 12:02 PM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,077
Default

It took a long time, but then - death is unavoidable eventually for everyone. Even Kirk knew he could only dodge it so long.
__________________
'If the Apocalypse starts, beep me!' - Buffy Summers
'The sky's the limit.....' Jean-Luc Picard, 'All Good Things'


courtesy of Saquist
Reply With Quote
  #797  
Old 06-04-2009, 09:39 PM
ispeedonthe405's Avatar
ispeedonthe405 ispeedonthe405 is offline
Midshipman
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 11
Default

I was totally down with a reboot and scoop of fresh, hip Trek. Even though I was 13 when TNG premiered, which should have made it "my" Trek, I couldn't get into it or any of the spinoffs that followed. Too sterile, too dull. I say down with technobabble! Bring back the kind of Star Trek where escaping from a prison cell means beating the crap out of the guards.

On that level the movie works. I didn't even mind the ADD pacing and the blur that obscures every third frame because it was fun to watch. And hey... Beastie Boys in the soundtrack? Right on.

But come on, dude. When the Architect -- I mean, Spock -- showed up and explained the problematic plot, I actually threw up a little in my mouth. This is the plot? Really?

There is no such thing as a supernova which "threatens the entire galaxy", JJ. Seriously. It was like finding a brussel sprout in my popcorn: yum, yum, yum... blech! How did that get in there? And how stupid is Nero? How much LESS work would it have been to warn his people and give them 129 years to avert tragedy rather than hatch this elaborate plot to destroy a bunch of other planets? What sense does that even make? I don't care how angry you are; it's just dumb.

The style was fine. In fact, I would even say it was enjoyable. But the substance... was nonexistent. On balance this movie is just another empty, Abrams shell of a story. The real tragedy is that it succeeded in terms of $$, which means this is the sort of thing we have to look forward to. Sigh.
__________________
For an additional $2.95 this signature can offend you.

Last edited by ispeedonthe405 : 06-04-2009 at 09:59 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #798  
Old 06-05-2009, 12:55 PM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,077
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ispeedonthe405 View Post
On balance this movie is just another empty, Abrams shell of a story. The real tragedy is that it succeeded in terms of $$, which means this is the sort of thing we have to look forward to. Sigh.
In which case I think the real question is -

Why then could the runners of Star Trek up until now not make a 'real' Star Trek film that also had the mass popularity of the film Abrams has made?

Why did they have to, apparently, lose Star Trek to make it viable?
__________________
'If the Apocalypse starts, beep me!' - Buffy Summers
'The sky's the limit.....' Jean-Luc Picard, 'All Good Things'


courtesy of Saquist
Reply With Quote
  #799  
Old 06-05-2009, 12:58 PM
omegaman's Avatar
omegaman omegaman is offline
Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Penrith NSW Australia
Posts: 4,609
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ispeedonthe405 View Post
I was totally down with a reboot and scoop of fresh, hip Trek. Even though I was 13 when TNG premiered, which should have made it "my" Trek, I couldn't get into it or any of the spinoffs that followed. Too sterile, too dull. I say down with technobabble! Bring back the kind of Star Trek where escaping from a prison cell means beating the crap out of the guards.

On that level the movie works. I didn't even mind the ADD pacing and the blur that obscures every third frame because it was fun to watch. And hey... Beastie Boys in the soundtrack? Right on.

But come on, dude. When the Architect -- I mean, Spock -- showed up and explained the problematic plot, I actually threw up a little in my mouth. This is the plot? Really?

There is no such thing as a supernova which "threatens the entire galaxy", JJ. Seriously. It was like finding a brussel sprout in my popcorn: yum, yum, yum... blech! How did that get in there? And how stupid is Nero? How much LESS work would it have been to warn his people and give them 129 years to avert tragedy rather than hatch this elaborate plot to destroy a bunch of other planets? What sense does that even make? I don't care how angry you are; it's just dumb.

The style was fine. In fact, I would even say it was enjoyable. But the substance... was nonexistent. On balance this movie is just another empty, Abrams shell of a story. The real tragedy is that it succeeded in terms of $$, which means this is the sort of thing we have to look forward to. Sigh.
__________________
TREK IS TREK. WHATEVER THE TIMELINE!

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Reply With Quote
  #800  
Old 06-05-2009, 01:03 PM
chator's Avatar
chator chator is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,261
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenie View Post
Quick question...

How did Kirk actually cheat on the Kobiashi Maru test?
How many times have you seen the movie? Because the movie doesn't actually show him rigging the simulator, it may seem like he's only being accused of cheating. That, and i don't think he admits to it. But Kirk is brought to trial by Starfleet for creating a subroutine in the Kobayashi Maru simulator test that allows him to win in the scenario. The test is supposed to be un-winnable! That's why winning it lands him the accusation of cheating.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:52 AM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.