The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Movie Discussion/ SPOILER reviews HERE - *SPOILERS* enter at own risk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2009, 04:42 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
Anytime you tell a story there are necessary details and then they're are just peripherals.

Nero is apart of the story in XI.
We don't need to know how he got the ship...small detail.
We don't need to know how he got there....moderate detail.
We don't need to know how he survived the BORG attack.

What we do NEED to know....and BELIEVE...
Why did Nero NOT TRY and SAVE Romulus now that he had the opportunity.
WHY did he destroy the world of the man WHO TRIED TO SAVE HIM...
WHAT'S NERO's psychologly?
ARE THE THINGS THAT DON"T MAKE SENSE MERELY BECAUSE OF HIM OR IS IT THE PLOT.

THOSE ARE VERY IMPORTANT QUESTIONS.
Why? Because any normal person givent the opportunity to save the Earth would at least try. If Nero isn't normal we need to know why...
Well he's better than Soran, at least Nero managed to get what he wants. Seeing Vulcan destroyed.
Old 05-17-2009, 04:54 PM
Fleet Admiral

But Soran at least made sense.

Old 05-17-2009, 06:46 PM
Midshipman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tom Coughlin View Post
From billions down to under 10,000. You can't rule out that Tuvok or his parents if he hasn't been born yet survived, but the odds are overwhelmingly not in his favor.
After thinking about it more i dont think Tuvok was even born yet. Even if his parents were in the 10,000 survivors from over 6,000,000,000 dead, the conditions his parents are in are now so different from before. They may not meet, marry, or have children earlier or later now. The writters could say his parents were amoungst the survivors and still have baby Tuvok, but as you said, the odds are so stacked against it, i dont think i would like that.

Anyways dont anyone get me wrong. I loved the movie, and i think this new timeline could prove to be very interesting. I think it gave star trek a new breath of life that it needed. Im probably going to go see it again sometime soon.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:36 AM
Midshipman

I loved the movie. Here's my gripes after seeing it. It's an alternate timeline and the characters are now different, everything we know about Trek will be done over differently. Vulcan is gone. Engineering looks like a factory in the 20th century. I guess I have to embrace change, but hey Trek is back baby!

Last edited by KirksBrother : 05-18-2009 at 12:39 AM.
Old 05-18-2009, 05:38 AM
Midshipman

Well i saw it again yesterday, loved it again, still got a couple of gripes, the soundtrack, to me feels like it was taken from one of the batman movies, i got that impression the first time i saw the movie, but after seeing it again it really does seem out of place, and the bridge, to bright and department store looking.
But these are minor gripes really, i'm glad its back and doing well
Old 05-18-2009, 05:44 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaatu View Post
Well i saw it again yesterday, loved it again, still got a couple of gripes, the soundtrack, to me feels like it was taken from one of the batman movies, i got that impression the first time i saw the movie, but after seeing it again it really does seem out of place, and the bridge, to bright and department store looking.

Several days ago, it occurred to me as well that the theme they used for this movie does sound like something that would've belonged in a Batman movie.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:15 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaatu View Post
Intresting take on the soundtrack.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:38 AM
Ensign

I saw the film for a second time yesterday, and I enjoyed it even more the second time!

I thought to myself "would I find the humour as funny? Would I find the action as exhilirating?" The answer was yes! Because I already knew the storyline and what happened I was able to just sit back relax and really be swept away all over again. The opening scene with the Kelvin seemed even more poignant to me and the scenes with Spock prime and Kirk even more moving. I also picked up little things the actors did which I missed first time: there's a scene where Karl Urban's facial expression is just like that of Deforest Kelly, scarily so and the last scene where Kirk enters the bridge as Captain was so Shatner like it was fantastic! All in all I was awed by the film and cannot wait to own it on DVD.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:07 AM
Midshipman

Yes heres hoping the dvd release is full of interesting stuff, or will we get a bare bones release at first? i'm pretty tired of the studios double dipping on the dvds, not sure what paramounts like on that front.
Glad to see others noticing the bat vibe from the soundtrack, i found on the second viewing i picked up a lot more than on the first time, i noticed when kirk and sulu dropped down the drill shaft the third guy who gets burned up was a 'red shirt' well not shirt, but his outfit was red, classic!
Found a pic

Last edited by klaatu : 05-18-2009 at 09:13 AM.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:27 AM
Vice Admiral

could you post a picture of him as captain

Space is disease and dangerous wrapped in darkness and silence-Leonard Bones McCoy