The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Movie Discussion/ SPOILER reviews HERE - *SPOILERS* enter at own risk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2009, 08:20 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarTrekXIfan View Post
Seriously this scrutinizing of the science and plot has completely missed the point of the film........

Bravo!

Of course there are the die-hard ST fans who will analyse every gesture, every word, every prop.
However, as a teacher of teenagers, all I can say from the kids point of view, is that Abrams has totally reinvented the Star Trek franchise and he has given them a shiny new version of a tired, cliched old formula.

Surely that is a good thing?!
Old 05-17-2009, 08:36 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishbuddy View Post
Bravo!

Of course there are the die-hard ST fans who will analyse every gesture, every word, every prop.
However, as a teacher of teenagers, all I can say from the kids point of view, is that Abrams has totally reinvented the Star Trek franchise and he has given them a shiny new version of a tired, cliched old formula.

Surely that is a good thing?!
Those are not "fans", those are the übergeeks. Basement dwellers. We have a few of them here and they know who they are. Even if they won't admit it.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:44 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore View Post
Those are not "fans", those are the übergeeks. Basement dwellers. We have a few of them here and they know who they are. Even if they won't admit it.

Well mmoore, I'm relieved to hear that as a.....er, fan and as a newbie, I'm not going to be attacked for my superficiality!!!

....maybe I shouldn't mention that I'm also a female!
Old 05-17-2009, 08:55 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishbuddy View Post

Well mmoore, I'm relieved to hear that as a.....er, fan and as a newbie, I'm not going to be attacked for my superficiality!!!

....maybe I shouldn't mention that I'm also a female!
It's ok. At least you're Irish.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:04 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore View Post
It's ok. At least you're Irish.
Ha! Yes well, I suppose that's something for me to be grateful about!

.......and I was able to understand all the dialogue in the film, even from Chekov, without subtitles. !
Old 05-17-2009, 12:56 PM
Rear Admiral

A couple of things I noticed in the movie but keep forgetting to mention here. Someone else may already have.

1) A few of the women in the bar scene were wearing rather 60's influenced outfits very mod, very go-go. In fact they could've come right out of TOS. They reminded me of the outfits Terri Garr's character wore in Assignment: Earth.

2) The way Pike is lit when we see him sit in the captain's chair the very first time. Sort of shadowed with a soft but obvious accent light on his eyes/face. Very much the way Kirk was often lit in TOS.

Love it!

These things may've already been pointed out somewhere here and I didn't catch it. There's been so much activity here since film's release! These are heady times for us lovers of Trek!

Also I'm disappointed with the computer's voice. It didn't stand out to me as 'like the original' which I'd expected given it was Majel. Maybe it had to do with her ill health at the time.

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Old 05-17-2009, 01:46 PM
Midshipman

Previous posters were quite right. The "Countdown" comics do in fact explain a great deal, if not everything.Much like the original 'Clone wars' cartoons set the stage for Episode III.
But do we really need all these details explained to us? Some of the greatest Science Fiction written or shown left it up to our imagination. Like 2001! That's the fiction in science fiction...you're allowed to make stuff up.
Old 05-17-2009, 02:20 PM
Admiral

I SAW IT This weekend. ANd I must say TREK is back. I thought all the actors did an awsome job on it! The parrellels of the kirks was awsome I loved all the nods to the original series and all the famous qoutes from them also.
Founding member of The League of Extraordinary Oddballs
A new tech support site http://www.community.jvgeek.com
Old 05-17-2009, 02:29 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed Starkiller View Post
I SAW IT This weekend. ANd I must say TREK is back. I thought all the actors did an awsome job on it! The parrellels of the kirks was awsome I loved all the nods to the original series and all the famous qoutes from them also.
Good stuff, huh? Somehow I thought you might like it. As you might agree, there's a lot to take in in one viewing. See it again, Jed. I bet you'll love it even more!

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Old 05-17-2009, 04:17 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Jr View Post
Previous posters were quite right. The "Countdown" comics do in fact explain a great deal, if not everything.Much like the original 'Clone wars' cartoons set the stage for Episode III.
But do we really need all these details explained to us? Some of the greatest Science Fiction written or shown left it up to our imagination. Like 2001! That's the fiction in science fiction...you're allowed to make stuff up.

Anytime you tell a story there are necessary details and then they're are just peripherals.

Nero is apart of the story in XI.
We don't need to know how he got the ship...small detail.
We don't need to know how he got there....moderate detail.
We don't need to know how he survived the BORG attack.

What we do NEED to know....and BELIEVE...
Why did Nero NOT TRY and SAVE Romulus now that he had the opportunity.
WHY did he destroy the world of the man WHO TRIED TO SAVE HIM...
WHAT'S NERO's psychologly?
ARE THE THINGS THAT DON"T MAKE SENSE MERELY BECAUSE OF HIM OR IS IT THE PLOT.

THOSE ARE VERY IMPORTANT QUESTIONS.
Why? Because any normal person givent the opportunity to save the Earth would at least try. If Nero isn't normal we need to know why...