The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Movie Discussion/ SPOILER reviews HERE - *SPOILERS* enter at own risk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2009, 06:02 PM
Ensign

Oh yeah I loved it to death.

What's interesting is this from wikipedia:

A new movie, a prequel to the original series simply titled Star Trek, is scheduled for release on May 8, 2009.[42] The film's major cast members have signed on for two sequels, which is standard practice.[43] Roberto Orci, Alex Kurtzman and Damon Lindelof began writing the script for a sequel in March 2009, with the hope to complete it by December and produce the film for a summer 2011 release. J.J. Abrams and Bryan Burk will produce, although Abrams has not signed to direct again.

This should be interesting!

I loved, LOVED the new look for the Enterprise, thats for damn sure! Still though my all time favorite is the Enterprise E. Just love that ship to death.

After seeing it, I can honestly see why Shatner was not in it. There was simply no real need for him to be in it. I know it upset him though not being invited to be in it.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:04 PM
Captain

I loved this movie! It was amazing!! I hated to see the one death in the transporter,, and the planet, but hey, there can be another planet named Vulcan! They made it plain the Vulcan would survive! The differences bothered my wife more than me. I had not told her anything about the "alternate" timeline, when "she" died (transporter), My wife leaned over and said, she's not supposed to die! Anyway, the only thing I can say is WOW! TWO THUMBS WAY UP!!!!
Old 05-07-2009, 06:04 PM
Ensign

I saw it too ! for me is the best Star Trek film ever !
La v* y para mi es la mejor Star Trek que haya visto !

Saludos a todos
Greetings !

Old 05-07-2009, 06:08 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Pike View Post
Great info but when does Kirk in gold shirt say Buckle up and why? Is there another crisis that arises? One other thing. When Nero says Fire Everything", what ship is he firing at and why? Does the Enterprise have any direct hits on the Narada with torpedos or phasers?
A slightly more specific answer...

spoils

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 05-07-2009, 06:24 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlescott View Post
I loved this movie! It was amazing!! I hated to see the one death in the transporter,, and the planet, but hey, there can be another planet named Vulcan! They made it plain the Vulcan would survive! The differences bothered my wife more than me. I had not told her anything about the "alternate" timeline, when "she" died (transporter), My wife leaned over and said, she's not supposed to die! Anyway, the only thing I can say is WOW! TWO THUMBS WAY UP!!!!
Interesting, I didn't interpret it at all that she died "in the transporter". On the contrary, the key of the scene was that it was nearly impossible to lock in 100% on them during the tremors. Under her circumstances at that moment (why give away everything?!), I thought it was quite clear they lost transporter lock on her and she simply was no longer "in place" to beam up at those coordinates -- for obvious reasons.

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 05-07-2009, 06:26 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
Interesting, I didn't interpret it at all that she died "in the transporter". On the contrary, the key of the scene was that it was nearly impossible to lock in 100% on them during the tremors. Under her circumstances at that moment (why give away everything?!), I thought it was quite clear they lost transporter lock on her and she simply was no longer "in place" to beam up at those coordinates -- for obvious reasons.
i would agree with the transporter more than the "give way" theory. actually as I sit and think about it, it would be both. you clearly see her in the beam and she looks "stretched" as she is falling...just my POV.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:31 PM
Fleet Admiral

I'll have to look more closely tomorrow night. I didn't see 'stretched' but things are happening fast. I just thought she fell out of the beam, as it were.

I guess when I hear "died in the transporter" I think of TMP, which takes it literally. Given TREK's long history of troubled transportation, there was never any doubt that she was 'caught inbetween' or she's not rematerializing due to an error.

She never came through because she never actually got 'captured' -- to me, that's a failed attempt at transporting, meaning she was still on the planet when the others arrived on the ship... though not for long.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:37 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
I'll have to look more closely tomorrow night. I didn't see 'stretched' but things are happening fast. I just thought she fell out of the beam, as it were.

I guess when I hear "died in the transporter" I think of TMP, which takes it literally. Given TREK's long history of troubled transportation, there was never any doubt that she was 'caught inbetween' or she's not rematerializing due to an error.

She never came through because she never actually got 'captured' -- to me, that's a failed attempt at transporting, meaning she was still on the planet when the others arrived on the ship... though not for long.
Yeah, even in Voyager there's still a lot of problems with the transporter system. Tuvix anyone?
Old 05-07-2009, 06:43 PM
Lieutenant Commander

The movie was incredible! And the Enterprise ROCKED!
Old 05-07-2009, 06:48 PM
Lieutenant Commander

There were a ton of nods to TOS from sound effects to phrases.