The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Movie Discussion/ SPOILER reviews HERE - *SPOILERS* enter at own risk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2009, 08:19 AM
Fleet Admiral

LOADED WITH CHOLESTORAL and FAT, HIGH CARB.....Delcious in every wrong way.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:21 AM
Fleet Admiral

I mean who knew he was going to do this?

Old 05-13-2009, 08:31 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
LOADED WITH CHOLESTORAL and FAT, HIGH CARB.....Delcious in every wrong way.
Quote:
I mean who knew he was going to do this?
It has to be said, the likes of Saint, Zim and yourself at times.

I have to put my hand up and say that, despite the promising nature of all the leaked information, all the leaked clips and photos and trailers (remember the awesome trailers?) that the final product was really far, far less than had been promised along the way. Some saw that coming, I was naive and thought better of the writers and Abrams.

And it's really the writers who must take a bigger hit of the blame. To have knowingly concocted such a house of cards style plot that blows over in the slightest breeze is almost impossible to imagine.

Yet they managed it.

But the most amazing thing of all is - I still think the movie was a blast. When I think of all the fun and entertaining TOS episodes, and think of the colour and energy the series had, I see that in this film. And I enjoyed every single minute of it.

It's just that once that initial rush is over, you start to go 'wait a minute...' and the questions start, and the whole thing destablizes.

So, I'm going to do the only thing I can do...

SEE IT AGAIN!!!

(and see if that rush works a second time around)

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-13-2009, 10:02 AM
Midshipman

Default A Good Balance

I guess I've been an "on/off" follower of ST most of my life. My late father was a fan and my SO is too. One thing that particularly struck me about the movie (apart from the fact that Pine and Quinto are HOT ) is that the script makes a very careful balance between the aspirations, losses and achievements of Kirk & Spock, in more or less chrono order:
  • Kirk loses his father
  • Kirk wants Uhura
  • Kirk gains a surrogate father in Captain Pike
  • Spock gains an invitation to join the Vulcan council but rejects it
  • Kirk wants to become a captain of a starship
  • Spock becomes interim captain
  • Spock loses his mother (and his planet, his culture...)
  • Spock jettisons Kirk from the Enterprise
  • Kirk "re-discovers" a friend in Spock Prime
  • Kirk replaces Spock as captain
  • Spock gets Uhura
  • Kirk loses Uhura
  • Spock gains a surrogate father in Spock Prime
Set out like that either these guys will become the bitterest of enemies (westerns or thrillers ("Infernal Affairs"?) often have a similar parallel paths for the hero/anti-hero) or the best of friends. That it is in fact the latter, is all to ST's credit and perhaps the friendship between Kirk and Spock encapsulates on a micro level the fundamental idea behind ST which is universal mutual respect and understanding (or "peace and love, man" to put it in a more 60s way). Of course, this has always been central to ST but it seems to me that this film makes it ultra clear, which is a good thing, in my book and a very good point from which to make a fresh start.

Clariana
Old 05-13-2009, 10:25 AM
Ensign

setting aside plot holes which obviously a lot of people here are disappointed about, JJ Abrams and the writers have brought Trek back; it's the biggest taking Trek film on its first weekend of all time with $76 million made, it has the best special effects to date and is a sumptuous meal for the eyes, it has an excellent cast who have brought these beloved characters back to life and has pretty much secured at least one sequel! We should be celebrating this film!!!
Old 05-13-2009, 10:45 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
It has to be said, the likes of Saint, Zim and yourself at times.

I have to put my hand up and say that, despite the promising nature of all the leaked information, all the leaked clips and photos and trailers (remember the awesome trailers?) that the final product was really far, far less than had been promised along the way. Some saw that coming, I was naive and thought better of the writers and Abrams.

And it's really the writers who must take a bigger hit of the blame. To have knowingly concocted such a house of cards style plot that blows over in the slightest breeze is almost impossible to imagine.

Yet they managed it.

But the most amazing thing of all is - I still think the movie was a blast. When I think of all the fun and entertaining TOS episodes, and think of the colour and energy the series had, I see that in this film. And I enjoyed every single minute of it.

It's just that once that initial rush is over, you start to go 'wait a minute...' and the questions start, and the whole thing destablizes.

So, I'm going to do the only thing I can do...

SEE IT AGAIN!!!

(and see if that rush works a second time around)
It was a blast.
Can you imagine my inner schism!
Part of me enjoying this film
The other part perturbed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clariana View Post
I guess I've been an "on/off" follower of ST most of my life. My late father was a fan and my SO is too. One thing that particularly struck me about the movie (apart from the fact that Pine and Quinto are HOT ) is that the script makes a very careful balance between the aspirations, losses and achievements of Kirk & Spock, in more or less chrono order:
  • Kirk loses his father
  • Kirk wants Uhura
  • Kirk gains a surrogate father in Captain Pike
  • Spock gains an invitation to join the Vulcan council but rejects it
  • Kirk wants to become a captain of a starship
  • Spock becomes interim captain
  • Spock loses his mother (and his planet, his culture...)
  • Spock jettisons Kirk from the Enterprise
  • Kirk "re-discovers" a friend in Spock Prime
  • Kirk replaces Spock as captain
  • Spock gets Uhura
  • Kirk loses Uhura
  • Spock gains a surrogate father in Spock Prime
Set out like that either these guys will become the bitterest of enemies (westerns or thrillers ("Infernal Affairs"?) often have a similar parallel paths for the hero/anti-hero) or the best of friends. That it is in fact the latter, is all to ST's credit and perhaps the friendship between Kirk and Spock encapsulates on a micro level the fundamental idea behind ST which is universal mutual respect and understanding (or "peace and love, man" to put it in a more 60s way). Of course, this has always been central to ST but it seems to me that this film makes it ultra clear, which is a good thing, in my book and a very good point from which to make a fresh start.

Clariana
That's the perfect summary.
Welcome aboard Clariana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarTrekXIfan View Post
setting aside plot holes which obviously a lot of people here are disappointed about, JJ Abrams and the writers have brought Trek back; it's the biggest taking Trek film on its first weekend of all time with $76 million made, it has the best special effects to date and is a sumptuous meal for the eyes, it has an excellent cast who have brought these beloved characters back to life and has pretty much secured at least one sequel! We should be celebrating this film!!!
Actually 79.5 million but who's counting....
Quite frankly I enjoy smart sci fi. Trek has been that for a long time. Or rather it's bounced up and down but always went back to it. You have to understand I'm the intellectual.

I think therefore I am.
I'm only just now enjoying other aspects such as fun and thriller in the active format. That's why it's hard to go against the film. But I do have my standards. This film falls short of many of them and yet raises the standard on others.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:33 AM
Vice Admiral

how much as the film made money wise
Old 05-13-2009, 12:19 PM
Ensign

Quote:

Actually 79.5 million but who's counting....
Quite frankly I enjoy smart sci fi. Trek has been that for a long time. Or rather it's bounced up and down but always went back to it. You have to understand I'm the intellectual.

I think therefore I am.
I'm only just now enjoying other aspects such as fun and thriller in the active format. That's why it's hard to go against the film. But I do have my standards. This film falls short of many of them and yet raises the standard on others.
Well I'd like to consider myself an intellectual also, though I'm no scientist. However there is always a certain amount of suspending belief when it comes to sci fi, after all it is just another form of fiction albeit set in space.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:43 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarTrekXIfan View Post
Well I'd like to consider myself an intellectual also, though I'm no scientist. However there is always a certain amount of suspending belief when it comes to sci fi, after all it is just another form of fiction albeit set in space.
Exactly. When I see the head scientists at CERN and NASA listed as head writers in the credits, then I'll start nitpicking. Until then, c'est la vie.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:50 PM
Midshipman

Default My Opinion on Star Trek SPOILERS

Okay, so I'm going to post my HONEST opinion about Star Trek all together. You can post your opinion on this or not.

Okay let me start with the series: I don't really like it. I mean, I'm one of those people who don't like almost glitchy transportation and fuzzy CGI. It's old to me and I usually like the young and new type of movies. That's probably the only reason I don't watch it.

Now the new and young movie, different story. I really enjoyed it! Saw it last night - got in for free because I'm an Optimum user. And my mom joined me because she's a fan of it too. Anyway, I like how it starts off with the lightning storm thing and Nero's ship just appears. And I like the background view on Spock in the beginning with his mother being human (now what's the deal here: can Vulcans feel emotions? I don't know this because I don't watch the series.)and his father being Vulcan. The action scenes were great and really grabbed your attention. The scene with Leonard Nemoy and Zachary Quinto was alright at the end. Anyway, here's a little story if you don't know already - I've seen Zachary Quinto doing the Vulcan Salute with his left hand (NOT IN THE MOVIE!), but he did it with his right hand in the movie. I think they had to glue his fingers together.

NOTE: Off-topic, but you can probably see I'm a Zachary Quinto fan.

So, post any comments you have. I don't mind even harsh ones.

Last edited by Royal : 05-13-2009 at 01:55 PM.