The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Movie Discussion/ SPOILER reviews HERE - *SPOILERS* enter at own risk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #531  
Old 05-11-2009, 01:11 PM
TamarinaDC TamarinaDC is offline
Ensign
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 33
Default New Poster, so Sorry if I jack this up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlescott View Post
We can only hope he will become more logical with the next films. I agree, if they decide to keep Spock so er UnSpocklike, we will have a few problems.
Ok, so I'm new to this, but definitely not to Trek. And I just wanted to add my 2 cents, like everyone else with a computer.

I agree that the filmmakers really didn't need the additional scene on the transporter pad to make the point about Spock and Uhura- above all else, I believe it would be a HUGE violation of military protocol to be making out just before transport. BUT...the man's planet has been destroyed, his mother's dead and he darn near killed Kirk on the bridge- he's already admitted to being emotionally compromised. So everything is close to the surface and everyone is letting protocol slip. So part of me can let it go. But (and this is where they need to ask the fans for permission when they mess with our sacred texts) it would have been just as effective had Uhura been across the room and they had a shot where she just LOOKED at him, and then had him deliver the line about "If anything happens"- that would have been in keeping with our own tightly-wound Spock. And I think it would have given the actor playing Kirk that much more to act with, as he could then realize that the reason he's been getting nowhere with Uhura is because she's already taken.

And why shouldn't they get married and have a kid? I think Uhura would make a GREAT Lady Nyota (or Neena- I swore I heard "Neena" in the theatre). Oh, and in the next movie I want her to sing and him to play the harp. Bring in those elements of the original series!
Reply With Quote
  #532  
Old 05-11-2009, 01:13 PM
StarTrekXIfan's Avatar
StarTrekXIfan StarTrekXIfan is offline
Ensign
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 55
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post



Now that's a more intresting concept.
The question is does he over come his on rebeliousness?
I think in the film Kirk begins to realise what Pike was talking about in the bar; when the Enterprise is on route to Vulcan and Kirk realises its a trap, he appears to the rest of the crew as mutinous or not knowing when to be gracious in accepting he can be wrong, but he knew the strength of his convictions. You really start to see Kirk channelling that aptitude for being a great leader and being able to make tough decisions as the film unfolds. This was a quality I found very endearing.
Reply With Quote
  #533  
Old 05-11-2009, 03:34 PM
C76's Avatar
C76 C76 is offline
Ensign
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 39
Default

Hi,

I'm a newbie--see below. (I started writing this post by responding to the second quote first.) I hope I don't appear rude by the way I jump into this discussion, but I've got a few opinions. I love Star Trek--in general, not just the movie--like you wouldn't believe!!

I'm not big on technicalities. It's more the soul of the beast that woos me.

So you know where I'm coming from...I began to watch when TNG first aired.

Now then. I caught a couple of quotes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlescott
We can only hope he will become more logical with the next films. I agree, if they decide to keep Spock so er UnSpocklike, we will have a few problems.
Spock being UnSpocklike?

I kept in mind the fact that all of the characters were supposed to be Fresh Out of Starfleet. They're green. They're their younger selves.

And my ignorance re TOS--and hence <*gasp*> canon--may show in my saying so, but if, by TOS, Spock was the epitome of Vulcanesque control...Then surely, as a young(er) man he can be allowed a bit of leeway.

I thought Zachary Quinto did a fine job.

And honestly...Doesn't anyone wonder about the issues these people grappled with in their earlier days? To be half-Vulcan and to have to struggle like that...

I have two words: Character development.

I'm looking forward to it. And not just for Spock.

Bring on the sequel, J.J.!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamarinaDC View Post
Ok, so I'm new to this, but definitely not to Trek. And I just wanted to add my 2 cents, like everyone else with a computer.

I agree that the filmmakers really didn't need the additional scene on the transporter pad to make the point about Spock and Uhura- above all else, I believe it would be a HUGE violation of military protocol to be making out just before transport. BUT...the man's planet has been destroyed, his mother's dead and he darn near killed Kirk on the bridge- he's already admitted to being emotionally compromised. So everything is close to the surface and everyone is letting protocol slip. So part of me can let it go. But (and this is where they need to ask the fans for permission when they mess with our sacred texts) it would have been just as effective had Uhura been across the room and they had a shot where she just LOOKED at him, and then had him deliver the line about "If anything happens"- that would have been in keeping with our own tightly-wound Spock. And I think it would have given the actor playing Kirk that much more to act with, as he could then realize that the reason he's been getting nowhere with Uhura is because she's already taken.

And why shouldn't they get married and have a kid?
I think Uhura would make a GREAT Lady Nyota (or Neena- I swore I heard "Neena" in the theatre). Oh, and in the next movie I want her to sing and him to play the harp. Bring in those elements of the original series!
Interesting.

I've been lurking for a while. I signed into the board this morning, after I tried to sign up for an account. My attempt failed--and only then did I realize that I had set up an account last year!!!

I just wanted to chime in to say that I do not mind the Spock-Uhura relationship in the least. But...And I wrote about this elsewhere...During the next go-round, I'd appreciate a bit more substance.

By the time their Transporter scene hit, I was a bit sympathetic. However, I did enjoy Kirk's "What the hell...?" look.

At the same time, I can see how the transporter room kiss could have been perceived:

"Ok, ok. We. Get. It. You two are an item."

"NEXT!"

A hug that had lingered a little too long would have sufficed.

Mind you, the Kirk/Spock banter re Uhura's name was charming.

My only issue is that during the next film, I would appreciate if Uhura had something to do.

Last edited by C76 : 05-11-2009 at 03:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #534  
Old 05-11-2009, 03:47 PM
OneBuckFilms's Avatar
OneBuckFilms OneBuckFilms is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 909
Default

STORY

There are a lot of coincidences in the movie, but I take that to reflect the idea that there is an element of Fate and Destiny involved with this legendary crew, that despite the alternate reality created by the Narada arriving and blowing the Kelvin to pieces and killing George Kirk (thus altering events after Stardate 2233.04), and James Kirk's early life, the crew of the Enterprise would come together.
The Alternate Reality also provides a way to remove predictability from future installments. Anything can happen now.

PRODUCTION DESIGN

The new Bridge sets, the Shuttles, and even the much-maligned Engineering worked very well for me, giving a much larger scale, and a very believable interpretation of the 23rd Century.

The Narada was about as intimidating and badass as any ship I've seen in Trek, and Nero was an interesting, if underused adversary.

The Narada interior sets were also an interesting departure, very alien.

The Viewscreen also being a window connects the inside to the outside very effectively, and gives a really good sense of the internal geography of the Enterprise and the Kelvin.

CINEMATOGRAPHY

A little heavy on the Shaky-Cam, but very well done, the lens flares in many scenes add a sense of reality, and also literally highlight the idea of the future being bright.

VISUAL EFFECTS

This is an area where the movie really excels. Although all of the exterior shots were CGI, they did not look like CGI.

They simply were there. And the Enterprise herself was absolutely breathtaking, with some fantastic hero shots, for example, the Enterprise rising out of Titan's atmosphere.

SOUND

The sound was nothing short of amazing, with some very interesting homages to the Original Series, and the new sounds for the Enterprise and the Kelvin were great.

TOS sounds are dotted around the movie at various points, but mixed in with many newer sounds that seem designed to evoke the Original Series without the cheese.

The loud BOOM when starships jump to warp really helped convey the power behind those warp engines, and there are a couple of points where the sound went completely silent, reflecting the fact that there is no sound in space.

The best example, is during the battle with the Kelvin, when all of these loud explosions and weapons fire are exchanged, part of the hull gets blown out, we hear and see a nameless woman holding on for dear life, then letting go, sucked into a silent vacuum, with the phaser and torpedo fire, and chaos going on.

DIRECTION

This movie is fast paced. But everything is still clear, and we know what is going on. Unlike Transformers, the movie does not play like a 2 hour 6 minute Trailer, and we get moments of suspense, comedy, character and drama, and none of it feels rushed.

We find a lot of classic lines from TOS and the movies, but none of them sound forced, and all of them are organic within the story.

CAST

This movie is surprisingly well cast, with Karl Urban almost stealing the show, with a fantastic interpretation of Doctor McCoy.

Chris Pine, the one who initially had me worried, proved to be excellent, as well as Zacharay Quinto.

MUSIC

Michael Giacchino may not be Jerry Goldsmith or James Horner, but he has done a superb score for this movie.
To compare his music to the other installments would be unfair, since the movie is a very different take stylistically to the other 10 movies.

His main theme is instantly infectious, and the score works perfectly with the visuals.

It is premature to call this a Classic score, since only time will show that, but it is one of my favorites.

The TOS Theme at the end is jarring on CD, but is absolute gold at the end of the movie.

OVERALL

This is an excellent movie, and in some ways, I would place this up with TWOK.

JJ Abrams should be very proud of his work here.
__________________
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Last edited by OneBuckFilms : 05-11-2009 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Formatting
Reply With Quote
  #535  
Old 05-11-2009, 04:43 PM
Dominus of Megadeus's Avatar
Dominus of Megadeus Dominus of Megadeus is offline
Captain
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,099
Default

One of the most balanced reviews I've read.
Reply With Quote
  #536  
Old 05-11-2009, 04:51 PM
AyanEva AyanEva is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,452
Default

Am I the only one who completely failed to notice the shaky cam? On both viewings? And I only noticed like three lens flares. I must have been really in to the movie, as I never realized the camera was shaking at any point.
Reply With Quote
  #537  
Old 05-11-2009, 04:55 PM
Saquist's Avatar
Saquist Saquist is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 11,257
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarTrekXIfan View Post
I think in the film Kirk begins to realise what Pike was talking about in the bar; when the Enterprise is on route to Vulcan and Kirk realises its a trap, he appears to the rest of the crew as mutinous or not knowing when to be gracious in accepting he can be wrong, but he knew the strength of his convictions. You really start to see Kirk channelling that aptitude for being a great leader and being able to make tough decisions as the film unfolds. This was a quality I found very endearing.
It really needed a moment of maturity...a moment of realization to pound that home that he coul be something more. I think a scene with Nero, a dialogue could have brought that about.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #538  
Old 05-11-2009, 05:28 PM
Odysseus1978 Odysseus1978 is offline
Midshipman
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3
Default

Well, first let me say how much I enjoyed this film. One of the quickest, most exhilirating cinema experiences of my life. The audience I was a part of spontaneously applauded and I've only ever been present at such an event once before (though my memory fails me on what film that was). I'm gonna start off with a few negatives (mainly from a subjective perspective to be fair) before the far stronger positives.

Negatives:

- The fact that we are currently sit on the edge of an alternate reality, whilst admittedly exciting, is (to me) a touch disappointing. Having invested so much into what is an entire universe of its own, I feel a little cheated that the future of Trek (well the foreseeable one anyway) will play out 'elsewhere' (almost in an inversion of the various alternate-universe episodes explored in TOS, DS9 and Enterprise)...however, I understand why they did it, and I am certainly looking forward to seeing what happens.

- Following on from that, I did find the destruction of nearly every Vulcan and the planet a little excessive.

- The background aliens were just NOT Star Trek aliens. None of them looked like something we'd ever imagine seeing in Ten Forward or Quark's. It would have been nice to see a Bolian or whatever species Morn was, but getting one of the 'Greys' from the X Files on the Enterprise was a bit annoying.

- I really didn't need the Spock/Uhura romance.

- The Beastie Boys/Nokia travesty. Now the music did sound pretty cool, but if that's what they're listening to in 250 years then the future is culturally bankrupt. It's like us listening to a remarkably obscure Baroque composer.

- Kirk-as-obnoxious-fratboy. Thankfully this dissipated after about an hour and I actually wanted him to avoid a beating!

- Zachary Quinto...now I got to the end of the film thinking that he was pretty bland in the role. I had an even greater respect for Leonard Nimoy's flawless effort as Spock over the years. However, since leaving the cinema, I have slowly come to regard his performance in a far more positive light. I can't quite put my finger on why, needless to say I plan to re-watch the movie and see which opinion was the more accurate.

Anyway, onto the...

Positives:

- Karl Urban is superb as McCoy. Pitch perfect performance, so like DeForrest Kelly and yet not an impersonation at all.

- Pine gets better. The way he plays the Kobayashi-Maru scene is delightful. He is the essence of Shatner pushed so close to the ridiculous - yet just maintaining integrity - that we see an ironic future of the Enterprise crew in a short scene.

- The action sequences. Choreographed to perfection. Believable yet not so intense as to make your head hurt (the trailer to Terminator Whateverit'scalled gave me a far bigger migraine).

- The use of sound. Particularly the silence that greets the vacuum of space. Astonishing.

- The use of music/the Starfleet logo/STAR TREK as the link between the prologue and the main body of the film was just so thrilling. Very minor detail but still brilliant.

- Uhura is HOOOTTTTT

- Scotty's little alien buddy. Comedy Gold with no words and an expressionless face.

- Scotty and Chekov were funny. They just need to avoid them becoming nothing more than comic fodder in the coming films.

- The original theme music at the end, perfectly in tact. Beautifully judged.

- And the best moment in the film...Spock telling Kirk to get out of the Captain's Chair. Priceless, and timed to perfection.

All in all, it was about as good as it could have been. Beats the living hell out of the Star Wars prequels...hell it beats any of the pompous, Ewok infested originals as well.

Good work Mr Abrams

Last edited by Odysseus1978 : 05-11-2009 at 05:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #539  
Old 05-11-2009, 06:32 PM
AyanEva AyanEva is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,452
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseus1978 View Post
- Zachary Quinto...now I got to the end of the film thinking that he was pretty bland in the role. I had an even greater respect for Leonard Nimoy's flawless effort as Spock over the years. However, since leaving the cinema, I have slowly come to regard his performance in a far more positive light. I can't quite put my finger on why, needless to say I plan to re-watch the movie and see which opinion was the more accurate.
I definitely appreciated Quinto more the second time around. I picked up on a lot of subtle things that he does that I missed the first time.
Reply With Quote
  #540  
Old 05-11-2009, 06:56 PM
Commodore's Avatar
Commodore Commodore is offline
Rear Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Starbase 24
Posts: 2,511
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseus1978 View Post
- The Beastie Boys/Nokia travesty. Now the music did sound pretty cool, but if that's what they're listening to in 250 years then the future is culturally bankrupt. It's like us listening to a remarkably obscure Baroque composer.
To be fair, classical music was considered popular music during it's day. While there will always be that kind of music around well into the 23rd-Century and beyond, it's also totally feasible that some popular music from our era will survive as well...

It's Sabotage!
__________________
Free your mind, and the rest will follow.
--En Vogue
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:02 PM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.