The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Movie Discussion/ SPOILER reviews HERE - *SPOILERS* enter at own risk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2009, 09:52 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Watched it yesturday at an advanced screening in Toronto. I ****in Loved it! I think i have a new favorite movie!!
there is so much on my mind, that i don't know where to begin.

Chris Pine: The minute i saw him, he was Jim Kirk! no doubts about it there. His cockyness just makes him the hero of the movie. It was limited perfectly.
I loved him during the Kobiyashi Maru scene. That killed me! Hes not shatner, but he is Kirk!

Zachary Quinto: Being a huge fan of Heroes and his, he had to grow on me as spock. My fiance is a huge fan of his too and we both think he did amazing job, he nailed
Spock down,(looks, acting etc.) Even though his voice is not like Nimoys, I think he was one of my favorites in the movie. one thing i liked that he brought to spock was the struggle of Spock's two heritages. It was a real change. Even for the romance he had with Uhura. Which i really liked!

Karl Urban: This man got Kelley pat down! his acting, his bitterness. All the famous lines (people at the theatre cheering when he said a certain line) Another one of my favorites.

Simon Pegg: Even though he wasnt in the movie that long, he is my favorite hands down!! every line he gave put me in stitches. The accent was great.

Anton Yelchin: Considering my fiance is Russian and her parents were there too. I have to say he was amazing! there was a scene where he said something in Russian in an act of self amazement, and they were in tears! He was great for the time he was on screen.

John Cho: Everytime my fiance looks at him, she laughs because of him being in the harold and kumar movies, but i think this Sulu was good for what he was in this movie!
he was awesome during the scene on the mining drill. Everyone cracked up at Fencing being hand to hand combat training.

Zoe Sandala: This Uhura was more developed in this movie and really had a role! i've never seen her so out there! oh! and he looks great without a shirt!

Leonard Nimoy: I can't critique this man! all i can say, it was wonderful to tears to see him play spock again. I can imagine how he felt to see a younger kirk. that scene was brilliant!

The Enterprise was beautiful really! I dont care what all the haters have to say about all that is wrong with her! She is simply a beautiful ship, regardless!

Just watching this takes me back. It feels right! i feel more complete! I cannot wait to see this movie again!

being a huge fan of Trek since i was 2! I dont care about canon! never did, never will.
things are different and they explain that. This opens a new door for more adventures.
J.J Abrams really outdid himself with this movie! hes given Trek another chance!

For a 2 hour and 6 minute movie, it went by fast. I enjoyed every minute of it.
I felt joy, saddness...and clapped hard at the end.

Trek is back baby!!

*****/5 stars
Old 05-07-2009, 09:52 AM
Ensign

I really enjoyed it for the most part, thought there was just a bit too much comedy. The whole "not taking off the breaks" part I thought really killed the moment of the Enterprise Warping off for the 1st time.

I didn't like how Delta Vega suddenly shifted from the very edge of the Galaxy to being almost a moon of Vulcan (givin how big Vuclan looks from Delta Vega). Meh, maybe I'm just one of those "Purists" the director was refering to. I'm not really one to nitpick over details, but I don't think its being too hard to ask you at least be consistant of where locations are. (especially since there are starmaps of key places already) Having Delta Vega shifted to being so close to Vulcan is like slapping Ireland off the West coast of North America and saying thats where it's always been.

Theres a few little annoying bits, but I did infact really like it, i'm only a couple of hours back from watching it so i'll hold my hands out and say i've not fully "absorb" things in any detail and it'll take a couple of more viewings for me I think. Look forward to seeing it on blu-ray.

I'll finish on high note and say no other Trek film for me (apart form maybe Khan) had that bit of punch or adrenaline that this movie has. It really pulled classic Star Trek into big budget big screen and that can only be a good thing.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:35 AM
Ensign

Does anyone else agree with here in that the first 20 minutes of this movie was spectacular? I can't write an entire review on it now but I'll surmise the most memorable points in the movie for me.
  • The score, from the first moment we see it with the movie title, I fell in love with it. Beautifully suited and delivered.
  • The directing was beautiful especially as the camera glided around the sun-kissed hull of the Kelvin then panning us into the industrious look of the darkened bridge with it's red lights.
  • When young James was in the car and heard the cell phone ring, I thought "that sounds familiar". When we see it to be Nokia phone I literally laughed out. I thought the change of pace and tone was done brilliantly. From the eerie scope of space, "death and disease", to a sunny Iowa afternoon with a car chase in the desert involving a hover motorycle. Who could have thought of that, honestly?
  • Seeing the young Vulcans being schooled in those small hubs built into the ground was fascinating. And when young Spock enquired if those bullies had new insults for him, cute, but I literally laughed out in the theatre when they responded in saying "...affirmative". Quality.
  • Everything else.
The questionable points, if any, for me involved three main characters. Chekov, Bones and Scotty. Neither of them excelled in performance or even maintaining to live up to preconceptions about the characters, but they had ups and downs. The Enterprise computer being unable to recognise Chekov's voice inputs was just hilarious but seeing him with a goofy aspect to his character in running around the ship wasn't something to behold. I only say this because I was cautiously hoping that a sci-fi title wouldn't ooze cheesiness to the crowd. Bones didn't personally impress me. His interaction with Kirk, however, was priceless and done well but having him on the bridge saw him decline in my opinion. I just didn't buy the actor's portrayal of anxiety, anger or disbelief. He seemed outlandish in every volley of moan unnecessarily so. And of course Scotty. Well firstly his accent was diabolical. But curiously he seemed more comfortable in the role of the comedian and, maybe its my own preconceptions about Simon Pegg, but I just didn't believe him to a genius engineer of a Starship. He was at his best on the bridge trying to get the water out of his ear. By the way, I was most disappointed with the lack of 'light' showing in the distance at the point where the warp vessels left visibility.

I loved the movie in almost every sense. If I could use one word to describe it it would be "great fun", and the last paragraph in no way is a reflection of the entire film but I just felt it worth the time to highlight my questions over certain elements of the characters.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:01 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonessential Personnel View Post
I hear ya. But does this mean that he's not subject to Pon Farr etc? That he's farther detached from his Vulcanity than we've ever seen before?

I can understand him dealing with romantic emotions and attraction, but I just cannot believe that the character of Spock would sit there smooching a woman in front of a roomful of other people. It's just too utterly casual.
It was definitely unexpected and unusual, but Spock was - to me - a largely passive participant there. He was being kissed, not actively kissing her back... but still definitely letting it happen.

I'd chalk it up, in part, to the desire for comfort and closeness that naturally comes from suffering a traumatic loss.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:50 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Pike View Post
Admiral? He makes Admiral? In the canon timeline in the Menagerie Mendez said he was Fleet Captain. Greenwood did say over at trekmovie that he is open to returning for the sequel. Maybe he will send Kirk on the five year mission or does he do it at the end in this movie?
I suspect Pike was made Admiral because there's a precedent in TREK films for Admirals = not bridge captains, which is what Kirk is being made. The term "Fleet Captain" (is this even common in our military??) might just be confusing, as if there would be two captains on the Enterprise.

When Kirk was made Admiral, he was taken off the bridge and got 'desk duty', which is what Pike is capable of (for now), so there's some established 'definition' of the Admiral promotion involved.

Basically, I think the switch in ranks simplifies matters for the audience as the film ends, right when they don't want to explain a lot of things to spoil the moment.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 05-07-2009, 11:55 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
Er should i mention that I hated Crisis also
Ahh I grew up in a post-Crisis time, so I only learnt about the whole Crisis event much much later.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:59 AM
Fleet Admiral

Been away for a couple days, so there's plenty of posts to catch up with... I'm enjoying all your reviews and comments, keep them coming!

My review (with some spoilers) is linked here, I won't repost it just to save space. Suffice it to say, I enjoyed TREK and appreciated the approach JJ, Orci, Kurtzman and the whole crew took in setting a new course for new TREK. Cheers!

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 05-07-2009, 12:00 PM
Midshipman

Just seen the movie in Norwich England. Breathtaking is all I can really say. From start to finish,me & a fellow Trek fan were jumping in seats,grinning like idiots & before he had even turned round I was giggling like crazy when Old Spock appears.
Karl Urban is just amazing as Bones. Truly inspired casting,stole the show for me. And Pegg got some quality comedy lines in there as well.
In fact everyone pretty much got a laugh.
Loved it from start to finish.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:00 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Pike View Post
Admiral? He makes Admiral? In the canon timeline in the Menagerie Mendez said he was Fleet Captain. Greenwood did say over at trekmovie that he is open to returning for the sequel. Maybe he will send Kirk on the five year mission or does he do it at the end in this movie?
If I remember correctly, yes he's Admiral. Not too sure about the five year mission,
Old 05-07-2009, 12:14 PM
Midshipman

im posting slightly negatively (but im a trekkie what do u expect) overall I liked this movie

[spoiler] My few quivels with the movie was the lack of vulcan space battle scenes. We just saw the fleet as a wreck good I suppose but would of loved watching several ships blown to pieces, no klingon space battle scene though it had some reference and would of created such a great atmosphere if they included the 47 klingon ships nero desroyed visualized and integrated into the movie. Nero had much time linearly to deal damage and portray that to the movie.

Still a good movie. Just could of been better. more amazing and epic. Felt a little like a series pilot aswell with the plot at least. [/spoiler]
Captain's Log, stardate 9529.1. This is the final cruise of the Starship Enterprise under my command. This ship and her history will shortly become the care of another crew. To them and their posterity will we commit our future. They will continue the voyages we have begun, and journey to all the undiscovered countries, boldly going where no man... where no *one* has gone before.

Last edited by Trekbegins : 05-07-2009 at 12:17 PM.