The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Movie Discussion/ SPOILER reviews HERE - *SPOILERS* enter at own risk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2009, 07:31 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
I'll elaborate.

They targeted the Fans, which were numerous, they added depth with acting and drama and then drew people in with mounds of action and the right kind of convincing special effects...

Fantastic...and I'm not a Fan of Lord of the Rings.
Star Trek could have done the same thing with out changing the universe. They just were too lazy to do so. But he did make Trek relevant again.
Bingo. They could have done the same thing without changing the universe! I don't know what is so hard to understand about that statement in itself!
Old 05-11-2009, 07:33 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek Nurse View Post
My review is this....A MUST SEE!!! My boyfriend and my friend Marissa took me to see the movie last night and neither one of them being HUGE Trek fans...they both loved it as did I....of course now I have to get Marissa to watch the original series (that was before she was born lol) so she can get all the little quips and quirks in the movie that related back to the original series....I thought I had grown out of the Trekkieness that I had...but apparently it never leaves you!!! I will watch that movie again and again.

That movie was HUGE!!! So many opportunities for another movie or a TV series from that cast!!!

Every actor in the movie, played the characters to near perfection!!!

Yeah, I know, people have questions/concerns about the timeline....but guess what? I still enjoyed it immensely!!
I am with you Trek Nurse, I did enjoy the action of the new movie.

Eliminate the timeline changes and it would have been perfect for me!
Old 05-11-2009, 07:38 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
I'll elaborate.
They targeted the Fans
I'll elaborate as well.
You really don't know the stir those movies caused with Lord of the Rings fans. You think "canon" crazies here are bad? Try a dedicated LotR site.

Then again, I liked the LotR films; canon thrown to the wind as it was.
Some of the book stuff was just downright dumb (and boooooooring).

Old 05-11-2009, 08:21 AM
Fleet Admiral

Well is it really about canon?
The canon crazies will always have a problem with change but that's the issue of from book to Movie format. Time is always a problem. Trek has always been on movie and series format...

Canon (gasp) isn't really that important considering the errors...but throwing out everything including the baby was a bit excessive...but intresting.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:22 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek Nurse View Post
My review is this....A MUST SEE!!! My boyfriend and my friend Marissa took me to see the movie last night and neither one of them being HUGE Trek fans...they both loved it as did I....of course now I have to get Marissa to watch the original series (that was before she was born lol) so she can get all the little quips and quirks in the movie that related back to the original series....I thought I had grown out of the Trekkieness that I had...but apparently it never leaves you!!! I will watch that movie again and again.

That movie was HUGE!!! So many opportunities for another movie or a TV series from that cast!!!

Every actor in the movie, played the characters to near perfection!!!

Yeah, I know, people have questions/concerns about the timeline....but guess what? I still enjoyed it immensely!!
Ahoy there!
The Action was a welcome addition to the Trek-verse...it made it more insteresting and relevant. THat's certainly what Trek needed.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:24 AM
Federation Councillor

Yes, the amount they seemed to intentionally disregard was pretty much all of it. It works in terms of a fresh start in a new universe.

But it was greater than I had believed it would be. But, as you say...not uninteresting to see where the new universe goes now.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-11-2009, 08:27 AM
Fleet Admiral

I didn't hate the destruction of vulcan...it was dynamic edge to the universe. Ultimately we can undo it it's sci fi...
They're are three more movies so I think there is a great amount of potential. But as my teacher said..."Potential means you haven't done anything yet."

Old 05-11-2009, 08:28 AM
Federation Councillor

No Vulcan's destruction didn't bother me either -

Just that pesky 'we already know all about the Romulans' part. That still niggles me a little.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-11-2009, 08:30 AM
Fleet Admiral

What I found intresting was the destruction of Romulus in the dead timeline.

remember that discussion we had about how Romulus could or might maybe join the Federation?

Old 05-11-2009, 08:33 AM
Midshipman

Default Star Trek('09) was very good saw it Fri.

For me the only problem I had was the use of real locations for the Main Engineering on both the Kelvin & Enterprise. Also we get a indication that the Scotty from prime universe is still alive to have solved transwarp beaming by 2387. Also this is the first Star Trek film to have the most Starfleet ships created for it. With a total of 8 starships starting with the USS Kelvin NCC-0514 & the seven new starships seen at the new spacedock in 2258 as the fleet that goes with USS Enterprise NCC-1701(Alternate) which technically makes 9 new ships. Plus theres also the shuttlecrafts. We also learn that a different stardate system is used by the Federation from 2233 to 2258 prior to the TOS-era stardates.