The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Movie Discussion/ SPOILER reviews HERE - *SPOILERS* enter at own risk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2009, 04:18 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Correct - Trek has now been given the resuscitation it required. But, it now also has to restore the latter of the above - the social commentary side, in order for the sequel to basically be a bit less shallow than this film ended up being.

I really enjoyed the new film, really did, but there was a distinct lack of substance in it.
I agree, the next movie does have the room to provide a deeper story since it doesn't have to worry about gaining a massive audience. This movie was fantastic...really fun.... but shallow in many respects, I expect a lot more from the next one.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:11 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanAeneas View Post
I agree, the next movie does have the room to provide a deeper story since it doesn't have to worry about gaining a massive audience. This movie was fantastic...really fun.... but shallow in many respects, I expect a lot more from the next one.
Hmm... thanks. Shallow was the word I was looking for in another post.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 05-10-2009, 05:35 PM
Ensign

Default My Second View

I just went to see the movie for second time and I may change what i said in other threads. I got to see the movie in more detail with out people screaming in the back ground lol. I take it back the Movie is more than ok it was great. I feel it stuck to trek history as best as it could be with the time travel story line. The story was great and yes A second movie will give it more justice and room to expand the story more. This a New era in Trek and this Movie was more than I expect. People who are against this Movie need see it again and see it with a open mind.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:38 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX Enterprise View Post
I just went to see the movie for second time and I may change what i said in other threads. I got to see the movie in more detail with out people screaming in the back ground lol. I take it back the Movie is more than ok it was great. I feel it stuck to trek history as best as it could be with the time travel story line. The story was great and yes A second movie will give it more justice and room to expand the story more. This a New era in Trek and this Movie was more than I expect. People who are against this Movie need see it again and see it with a open mind.
I think there are more for than against according to the figures coming out.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 05-10-2009, 06:33 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX Enterprise View Post
Did anyone feel some parts of the movie had a Star Wars Feel to it . I did not see to many basic Trek Aliens. But every thing went so fast .When I see it for a second time I will look closer. I show new type of Aliens and just some of the sets and action parts did not feel like a trek movie.
So what does anyone think?
Two members have noted the warp effect had a certain Hyperspace effect with BOOM and sudden departure. In a surround sound system...it was VERY powerful and effective.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:12 PM
Commander

The more I hear...The OLD HAD TO BE DESTROYED TO MAKE ROOM FOR THE NEW

and

ONLY MOVIES THAT GO 350 miles per hour have a billion special effects and don't really say anything are entertaining

the more I want to sit down and write an alternate version of XI...lets say..a prime universe version...just to prove that you can write a story that will please hardcore trek purists, revisionists and newcomers alike...too bad no one would read it... or care...

just another reason to go to filmschool and tear Holywood a new one...(starting this fall, wish me luck)

-Free Enterprise
Old 05-10-2009, 07:35 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D View Post
Because no Trek movie had shootouts before?
A movie can have action and intellectual depth concurrently.

No-one's expecting you to like the film, but "pew pew pew" hardly comes across as a solid critique
No, and yes. No, NOT because "no Trek movie had shootouts before", it was THESE shootouts were simply bang bang, pew pew pew and nothing else. Yes, a movie CAN have action and intellectual depth concurrently. While this movie had great character moments, it did NOT have any intellectual depth. If you saw my original review, I stated this was a good movie, just NOT good Trek, in my opinion of course. I was ALL for the young cast and more action. I enjoyed seeing hot bodied and short skirted Starfleet officers. I didn't mind MOST of the aspects of this film. But when it was all said and done I was left feeling like I saw very little that mattered. Of course I do NO speak of the real world, I'm talking about the Trek I grew up with and care about. The alternate reality thing bothered me more than I thought it would because it ISN'T the universe I wanted to gain more knowledge of. I would have liked a prequal story of how the ORIGINAL crew really came to know one another. I wouldn't have minded minor "canon" violations, but this story might as well have been about another mirror universe because it didn't matter to me.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:45 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by radoskal View Post
just another reason to go to filmschool and tear Holywood a new one...(starting this fall, wish me luck)
Good luck! I do mean that, btw.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:45 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
Again....did you not watch the movie? At the end of the movie, Kirk is Captain of the Enterprise (CHECK), Spock is First Officer on the Enterprise (CHECK), Scotty is Chief Engineer on the Enterprise (CHECK), Uhura is Communications Officer of the Enterprise (CHECK). Pike is in command of the local Fleet (CHECK), Sulu is the Helmsman of the Enterprise (CHECK), Chekov is the whatever the heck he does that's not Helmsman of the Enterprise (CHECK).

What was missed in the bringing it together?
Even with all these "checks" It still wasn't THE Star Trek universe we all know and love. Sure, new stories will be great. I am hopeful the next movie will have more of a Trek feel than this movie did, for me anyway. The thing I have always loved about Trek was it's soap opera feel. I always wanted to know various things and see what came to pass. That is why prequals are so hard, because we already know much of what the outcome will be and the telling of the story better be pretty good in order for it to hold my attention. With everything you "checked" off this movie created an entirely DIFFERENT universe that happens to have characters familiar to us and NOTHING more. I was really surprised by how much JJ blew off. He blew off EVERY little aspect of the universe I came to love. Every little detail was changed just for the sake of change. New fans will not know the difference, but WE fans that were watching Trek before JJ got a hold of it DO know the difference. This movie was a great disappointment for me. While a good space adventure movie, it was POOR Trek.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:56 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
This movie was a great disappointment for me. While a good space adventure movie, it was POOR Trek.
Precisely

-Free Enterprise