The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Movie Discussion/ SPOILER reviews HERE - *SPOILERS* enter at own risk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2009, 09:39 PM
Ensign

Not the best at giving a good review but I'll try....

This is what I texted my friend after seeing the it the first time (WTF, then wow, then maybe not, then ok wow)

I think I might be one of the few people who pretty much thought I was going to enjoy the movie no matter what but there were a few things about the movie I did not like.

The actress playing Uhura (not sure of name) was not right for me, she acted like she wanted to own every sceen she was in, and kind of take it over and I really didn't like that. I also didn't like the love stuff, it felt wrong her and Spock, but as we know its a different reality.

Wish they had given more screen time to Sulu. We did see him a lot but I would have liked him to have a bigger speaking role as I'm not 100% sure yet that they got the right actor to play him, but as I said that could just be down to how he came across to me in this movie and the fact that if he had had a bigger speaking role I might have warmed to him more.

Checkovs hair was all wrong, granted the beatles arn't number 1 on the charts now and that around the time checkoves character was first introduced leading to a similar hair style to the beatles, but still it was wrong.

And my husband and I agree that Zack didn't 100% look like Spock for us (yes ok he would have to be Nemoy to look 100% like him) its just he didn't quite hit the hammer on the nail for me, even though I still thought he did an exceptional job and don't think they could have found anyone better to play the role.

Loved the nods to the original Trek fans they were great to find. Not sure the next movie will be the same without Majels voice (someone said they are already working on the next one)

But what was up with that apple mac kinda all bright white look of the ship, liked it though it was a little too bright white and shiny for me.

I give it 9 out of 10 the reasons above are why it lost a point for me

spoiler

Forgot to add quickly, where was the ripping of shirts, that always happens to Kirk doesn't it? lol

Please escuse my spelling....

Last edited by zebredy : 05-09-2009 at 09:47 PM.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:15 PM
Commander

My feelings on the subject are pretty much analogous to those posted by Timster, the movie had it's good points. I liked the humor, the new sets and of course the effects were top notch but you can spitshine a mediocre story all you want, it will still be mediocre and good storytelling NOT eye candy is what Star Trek should be about at it's core. It just saddens me to see so much wasted potential, and I'm disapointed that Abrams and Co short changed us like they did...I know people have said you can't please everyone...but with all due respect to those people I think JJ could have without too much effort.

4/10

-Free Enterprise
Old 05-09-2009, 11:03 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
Not for the film; for the insufferable, asinine false dilemma where you've either seen the film from beginning to end or you can't possibly in a million years have any information about it whatsoever. So you go and see the damn thing to shut off that obnoxious complaint, and then it's, "Oh! Oh! I thought you weren't gonna see it! Huh? Yeah!"
You absolutely deserve everything you get. No-one on this site made a bigger fuss than you (and that's saying something). You doled out insults like you were bailing water out of a leaky boat. I personally find it hilarious that you couldn't resist the temptation of seeing the film one day after release and I'm not surprised that lots of other people do too.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:06 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
More musings in no particular order: Chekov is the new Wesley Crusher, and Starfleet voice recognition software apparently doesn't "learn" the voices of users the way modern voice recognition software already does. Apparently, Ryan Church's Enterprise is not equipped with a brig, which is why Spock made Kirk "walk the plank" as it were. Somehow, Starfleet engineers have access to retired flag-rank officers' pets, and said retired officers see nothing wrong with subjecting their pets to untested technological experiments -- unless those experiments don't pan out, in which case they exile said engineers to ice planets. But they do give 'em an Oompa Loompa who likes to climb on things for no apparent reason. Also, certain medical conditions manifest cartoonish symptoms in less than five minutes -- but don't worry, the symptoms disappear completely in less than five seconds. That whole sequence was a bit ridiculous. Also, the Ceti Alpha Eel has a cameo on its way from Nero's fish tank to Pike's mouth. No idea how it gets from his mouth to his brain without leaving him with a rather catastrophic speech impediment and sinus problem. Guess Pike should've listened to McCoy about "disease! and death! wrapped in silence! and darkness!" And the more I replay that piece of dialogue in my head, the more it sounds like Megadeth lyrics. Anyway, yes, the Ceti Alpha Eel looks pretty much exactly the same as it did in Star Trek II -- maybe a little darker and oilier, but otherwise pretty much identical. Spock going all RAWR! on the bridge was pulled off better than I expected it would be, although "being emotionally compromised" probably takes backseat in the regs to "assaulting a cadet." Then again, Kirk did the same thing earlier with the red shirts, so apparently Starfleet is pretty laid back about intra-crew violence. Hopefully Jack Sparrow will be in the sequel. More later.
The most entertaining review so far.
I've been waiting on it. Common really tell us how you feel about thiss movie from a fan perspective.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:18 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlescott View Post
I give this film a 10! There was no place in it that had me saying, get on with it! So, in my book, it's a big 10!!!
Intresting.
SO...They could not have done better, at all, Beetlescott?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
Enough questions!! I await YOUR review. I aqm very curious to see what you really think about this raped version of Trek.
It's too soon.
I would like to see the movie twice before I make an analysis. This is also the first time I will be able to gage a film and compare the audience reaction and observations. I'm already finding I missed a tribble and even certain sound effects were the same. If I remember I think even the transporter effect is very similar to Illia and Decker transformation.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:20 PM
Admiral

Quote:
More musings in no particular order: Chekov is the new Wesley Crusher, and Starfleet voice recognition software apparently doesn't "learn" the voices of users the way modern voice recognition software already does. Apparently, Ryan Church's Enterprise is not equipped with a brig, which is why Spock made Kirk "walk the plank" as it were. Somehow, Starfleet engineers have access to retired flag-rank officers' pets, and said retired officers see nothing wrong with subjecting their pets to untested technological experiments -- unless those experiments don't pan out, in which case they exile said engineers to ice planets. But they do give 'em an Oompa Loompa who likes to climb on things for no apparent reason. Also, certain medical conditions manifest cartoonish symptoms in less than five minutes -- but don't worry, the symptoms disappear completely in less than five seconds. That whole sequence was a bit ridiculous. Also, the Ceti Alpha Eel has a cameo on its way from Nero's fish tank to Pike's mouth. No idea how it gets from his mouth to his brain without leaving him with a rather catastrophic speech impediment and sinus problem. Guess Pike should've listened to McCoy about "disease! and death! wrapped in silence! and darkness!" And the more I replay that piece of dialogue in my head, the more it sounds like Megadeth lyrics. Anyway, yes, the Ceti Alpha Eel looks pretty much exactly the same as it did in Star Trek II -- maybe a little darker and oilier, but otherwise pretty much identical. Spock going all RAWR! on the bridge was pulled off better than I expected it would be, although "being emotionally compromised" probably takes backseat in the regs to "assaulting a cadet." Then again, Kirk did the same thing earlier with the red shirts, so apparently Starfleet is pretty laid back about intra-crew violence. Hopefully Jack Sparrow will be in the sequel. More later.
That was a great review! I don't share your sentiments on the movie, but that was indeed a great review and very true. Sure there is plenty ridiculous in the film, there is also plenty ridiculous in each of the Star Trek series. But for me it had enough of the balance to make an entertaining, well paced, well crafted story that has been missing in Trek films since TOS films. It blew all TNG films away by light years IMO.

But, Saint, I must agree with you completely on the clown hands. It was ridiculous and while it was happening Kirk was rushing to the bridge to give Pike a key piece of info he needed but I really didn't care because I couldn't get past the clown hands. Perhaps if he were wondering through the ship trying to find his way to the bridge in a medically induced stupor from one of Bones concoctions would have kept the focus on exactly why he needed to get to Pike and what was so important about his info, and you wouldn't be focusing on clown hands and numb tongue or whatever it was. Maybe an interesting way to show the interior of the Enterprise for the first time, through Kirk's drug-induced perspective and all. Very disorientating. But we got clown hands instead. And I found myself playing catchup to see what was so important in Kirk finding his way to the bridge.

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 05-09-2009, 11:28 PM
Captain

You know, that would even have been a fantastic way for them to give another "nod" to fans by having Kirk round a corner in his drug-induced delirium and see a corridor that would be visually identical to the 60s sets. Kirk shakes his head, does a double-take and it looks like the Abramsprise sets again.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 05-09-2009, 11:31 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribbler
I personally find it hilarious that you couldn't resist the temptation of seeing the film one day after release and I'm not surprised that lots of other people do too.
As I made clear, it wasn't a matter of "couldn't resist," it was a matter of, "Oh, God, fine. If you people absolutely can't grasp the concept of putting clues together to get an accurate idea of the thing they're clues of, I'll go see the damn thing."
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 05-09-2009, 11:34 PM
Midshipman

Default New StarTrek movie was poor

the movie was awful. the storyline shared aspects of the last star trek movie, Nemesis before this latest one. both movies involved romulans. both storylines follows romulans using the planet Romulas to want to destroy Earth. the difference was the additions of stories about the two main characters, spock and kirk, and better special effects. acting was poor and not convincing. the actors simply looked too young on screen and it was hard to take them seriously. the only one worth mentioning was Karl Urban who was spotless as "Bones" in the movie. old lines from the previous movie and tv series were said for the sake of saying it. anyone who follows star trek would probably find it hard to believe that the planet vulcan and romulas can be destroyed so easily. plus the timeline in the movie did not totally make sense. the movie started off with kirk's birth, but the next time they faced nero again, it was several years ahead towards the main part of the movie. if nero's ship could travel from vulcan to earth that quickly, then what was he waiting for? captain kirk in that timeline should also not be able to communicate without his communication device like they did in the star trek next generation tv series. more serious fans of the star trek series will probably have more questions too. the movie was poor, too much hype, lacking substance.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:34 PM
Admiral

That might've actually worked. Glimpsing the life he may've had, the Trek universe we know. A flash of the familiar and then to the new.

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"