The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Movie Discussion/ SPOILER reviews HERE - *SPOILERS* enter at own risk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2009, 06:15 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum
I tried to use the code for the spoiler hiding thing but it does not seem to work I invite the moderators to fix it if possiable thank you.
Yeah, no. The spoiler tags work just fine. You just have to be sharper than a sack of wet mice.

See?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum
Two. Vulcan. Destroyed. This means Amoke Time, Journey to Babel, Star Trek the Motion Picture, Star Trek Three and Unification will not be made.
Yeah, no. They've already been made. OUR timeline has not been altered, just the one you see onscreen. You can watch those eps/movies online if you don't already have the DVDs.

Once again, if you didn't get it the first time.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:16 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hailing Frequency Zach View Post
(Chief Engineer Olsen dies because he deploys his chute too late)
And...because he wore red
Old 05-07-2009, 06:18 AM
Midshipman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
DS 9 and the Star Trek Enterprise went back to the Mirror Universe and kept it alive. I hope Paramount does the same for the normal Star Trek Universe. Thats all I am asking. Keep this universe of Abrams, but please every once in a while make a movie about the normal universe too.
Yes I do know what you are saying, I also hope the same, as I am also very attached to the normal universe. Who knows what will happen yet.

***Ponders to self about the possibility of Battle of Wolf 359 never happening in this Timeline***
Old 05-07-2009, 06:27 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiTrekFan View Post
No!
That was a "sorta" spoiler.

Oh well. I knew he died anyway, I just didn't want to know how yet. Ah well, no worries.

(although I did put that in tags for anyone else who reads it)
Old 05-07-2009, 06:39 AM
Ensign

Sorry Magnum, but with your predetermined bias (which you yourself admit), in the most respectful way possible, I can't take your review as seriously as I would like. I personally enjoyed the movie, and yes,

However, in response to your stating that Trek is dead, we can go back to the original Trek any time we want. Those things still happened, they just won't or will occur differently for the next generation of fans. I understand what you mean about wanting to have another Original Timeline movie, would be great to see a post Nemesis adventure for Picard and crew.

Personally for this movie, I may have mentioned it before, I'm looking at it as a sort of Crisis on Infinite Earths type scenario, key elements are still the same, but there's less baggage. Think of Superman in this instance, iconic character, been around since the 1930's, and has been through several reboots in the comic, each reboot changed something, in the 1930's, Superman could only leap and not fly, come the 1970s he could blow out stars and wasn't a newspaper reporter, he was a TV reporter, late 80s, complete reboot, now Lex Luthor wasn't a mad scientist but a business man, 2004, Clark's now a vegetarian (what happens to all the stories where he used his favorite Beef dish as a secret password?), there are small differences, big differences, but at the core, it's still the same.

I doubt that any of my rambling will change your mind, and that's ok. I just wanted to state my opinion as well.

I thought the movie was great and give it a solid 8 out of 10. There was room for improvement, but sequel wise, now that the crew's all set, they can jump straight into the story next time around. And if Gene Roddenberry's son says is a good movie, well, then I'm convinced that it was handled well.

Last edited by KiwiTrekFan : 05-07-2009 at 06:43 AM.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:40 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyanEva View Post
That was a "sorta" spoiler.

Oh well. I knew he died anyway, I just didn't want to know how yet. Ah well, no worries.

(although I did put that in tags for anyone else who reads it)
Ah sorry, forgot the tags
Old 05-07-2009, 06:45 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
She saw that Abramsprise was playing. She goes, WOW New Star Trek Movie, I want to see it, I told her it was not a good movie. She said she would make that decision herself. She watched all the origional Star Trek shows, when they first permiered in 1966.
You just know there's a "I was home watching Trek while you were still in diapers" quote applicable here... which is amusing since she slapped you down herself as personally excited to see it and obviously making up her own mind despite disturbing fanboi outcries and tantrums from one where the diaper question is still very much in play.

Maybe I just saw the humor here that was unintentional on your part.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:50 AM
Midshipman

Default I liked the movie except for ONE thing with Spock. Please let me vent. (SPOLIERS)

Let me first say that I am not a "purist". I love TOS and I have as much geek-technical knowledge about the TOS as anyone can have and I simply do not care about minor (or even major) variations from canon.

I do not care about the Enterprise being built on earth in Iowa, or about Vulcan being destroyed, or about the rushed backstories of the characters, or the look of the bridge etc. etc. Seriously, I don't give a damn.

But what I do care about are Kirk, Spock and McCoy and simply put, I felt that they went too far with the Spock-Uhura thing.

The scene in the elevator was great. You could feel the tension in Spock, the agony he was experiencing and see him struggle to control his expression of emotion for Uhura. I thought it was fantastic. But then they went too far.

The scene in the transporter room where Spock was happily smooching Uhura was ridiculous, imo. That's not Spock. That's just so far outside of the character of Spock that I've having trouble swallowing the whole thing. In fact, and I hate to say this, it's killing the entire movie for me. ARGH! I wanted to love it and I loved 90% of it but when this amazing character I have cared about for 20+ years acts so completely out of character it just kills me.

The worst part is that the scene in the transporter room didn't advance the story, it was just there to make the cheap joke of Kirk being thrown off and learning her first name. The point was made in the great turbolift scene, but the idea was ruined in the transporter scene.

Argh.

I haven't cared much about Star Trek in a long time and was soooooo psyched for this movie and I can't beleive how upset over this I have become. I'm actually emotional over it. Hey! Just like Spock!

[/comic book guy-esque rant]
Old 05-07-2009, 06:50 AM
Midshipman

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiTrekFan View Post
And...because he wore red
Well yes, but I thought that went without saying, plus i really didnt want to spoil the humour value of it.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:56 AM
Lieutenant

I agree................... though this is an alternate reality, and there were a lot of hints thrown about how they were deeply involved before the 'Incident' with Nero. Hope that calms you down!