The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Movie Discussion/ SPOILER reviews HERE - *SPOILERS* enter at own risk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2009, 06:19 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
pew, pew, pew!!! "Look, my name is Kirk and I'm cool."
Because no Trek movie had shootouts before?
A movie can have action and intellectual depth concurrently.

No-one's expecting you to like the film, but "pew pew pew" hardly comes across as a solid critique

Old 05-08-2009, 07:16 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

The movie was great. A great homage to the original series. The only thing I would have changed would have been to have Shatner read the "Space, The Final Frontier" at the end of the movie...heck...maybe they offered it to him and he turned it down...but for me that would have been icing on the cake.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:22 PM
Midshipman

Default No Sam Kirk?

What happened to Kirk's brother Sam?
Old 05-08-2009, 07:24 PM
Captain

Mr.Q...I am VERY suprised at your reaction to the movie....I would have thought you to be one who loved it!

As cool as it was to hear Nimoy do the infamous "Space" line, I would have rather heard Pine's Kirk say it...but I am not bothered by it either way.

Saw it twice today....even better the second time!

You people have ruined "Star Trek The Next Generation" for me. You are absolutely the most insufferable group of jackasses I have ever had the misfortune of spending an extended period of time with. I hope you all f@*#! die. - Stewie after spending the day with the TNG cast.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:26 PM
Commander

*squeals*

I just saw it for a second time and I actually got more out of it this time around than I did yesterday. It's like I LOVED it yesterday but today I also appreciated it more. I picked up things that I'd missed, particularly with how Quinto played Spock.

Yesterday, I missed a lot of very subtle things that really made the character feel much more like Spock than I'd previously thought. I mean, I thought Quinto did a fine job after my first viewing but I really failed to appreciate just how GOOD he is at playing the character. The cadence and delivery of the lines, the body language, the eyes, very subtle facial expressions. I still caught a few Sylarisms but I this time I saw them not as slight distractions, but rather as being representative of interesting new facets that Quinto has added to the character. They're not so much Sylarisms as they are Quinto-isms.

I also found that I better understood the emotional journey that would bring Spock from how we see him when he's younger to how he is when he's Spock Prime.

I also saw more hints of the older Scotty in the younger one this time too. I just spent yesteday being so anxious about how the movie would turn out that I missed a lot of nuances that each actor gave his/her character.

I guess tonight was "study the characters" night instead of "dazzling special effects" night because I understood the movie on an emotional level that I missed last night.

And Pine's Kirk is still just so perfect to me. I did notice, again, a lot of little Kirk-ish mannerisms that I missed on the first viewing. There was a lot of body language that was able to pick up on this time around because I was watching so much more closely. Same thing with McCoy.

Also, the Spock Prime mindmeld scene was less jarring because I understood the character better, so the delivery seemed natural instead of awkward as it had before.

Really, what the actors did was absolutely brilliant and quite an accomplishment. The characters are familiar but fresh and unique.

The theater was PACKED, guys. If it wasn't a sellout, they were only a few tickets short of it. There were so many people of all races and ages there, half of whom I wouldn't have thought would be in line for a Star Trek movie in a million years. It was already crowded when we got our seats, about 20 minutes to show time (we were waiting for two more people to show up) and people just kept streaming in even after the previews had started. They had to hunt HARD for seats and even the very front row was filled. You know, the row that NOBODY wants to sit in because you'll kill your neck looking up.

There was a lot of applause at different parts. There was gasping, laughing, cheering, loud (and amusing) exclamations in some cases (you should have heard the reaction to Spock/Uhura LOL)! And then everyone gave a round of applause at the end. It was a lot of energy and excitement. I'm certain that majority of people in the theater were not your hardcore Star Trek fans but all of them bought tickets, enjoyed the movie, and left happy.

And did I mention that THE THEATER WAS PACKED. And this was just for the 7:30 showing! There was also a huge standup display in the lobby, which I didn't notice yesterday.

I wish I could go and watch this a third time tomorrow but I'm pretty broke until payday on Tuesday! Maybe I'll treat myself Tuesday evening.

So yeah, that was my second viewing experience. Even better than the first.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:52 PM
Commander

I enjoyed the film. I thought as characters (crew) Bones, Scotty, and Checov where great, Of all these Spock was the best. I loved the feel of humanity you see, that hda n ot been seen before in that element. I liked the story even if it did change the history of Star Trek. Pine (Kirk) did a good job, he was no shatner but no one ever will. He made it his own and he did it well. The other I did not mention, I just didn't see them as playing the original cast.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:05 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekie View Post
I enjoyed the film. I thought as characters (crew) Bones, Scotty, and Checov where great, Of all these Spock was the best. I loved the feel of humanity you see, that hda n ot been seen before in that element. I liked the story even if it did change the history of Star Trek. Pine (Kirk) did a good job, he was no shatner but no one ever will. He made it his own and he did it well. The other I did not mention, I just didn't see them as playing the original cast.
I think the main problem with Sulu is that he isn't given much to do, yet again. You don't see much of who he is as a character at all. Hopefully we get that next time.

Uhura...slightly problematic for me. It's not because I don't like this Uhura, it's just that I honestly don't really have much of an opinion at all about her. She didn't really make much of an impact as a stand alone character. I liked her and I liked how fiery she was in some scenes, but generally I felt that she was just kind of there half the time, not really doing anything particularly useful and sometimes was actually particularly useless. I'm not sure what can be done to fix that. I think she feels the least familiar out of all of them. She did work well in the scenes with Spock, I thought, even though I'm still not too terribly keen on that relationship. Aside from that, without someone to play against, I really almost didn't notice her unless the camera panned over or she said something. I kind of forgot she was there. It's as if the character is defined almost entirely by who happens to be around her.

I think these particular observations stood out much more to me the second time around because I was really watching the characters and their interactions with each other. I think Sulu and Uhura are definitely the two weakest characters but I think that's more a problem with the writing than it is with the ability of the actors. It seems like this has always been the case with these two characters.

Last edited by AyanEva : 05-08-2009 at 08:09 PM.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:17 PM
Captain

First, may I advise all of my fellow Trek fans, if someone sits next to you, and they smell like bad wine...move. The scent of alcohol almost made me fall out! This was a VERY NICE movie theater, but if one's hooked on the sauce, any venue will do, I guess. He's lucky I didn't yell, "Big O! Showtime!" or the theater would have been wrecked by the Meagdeus.

With that being said, even the smell of Boone's Farm, Mad Dog 20/20, or whatever the guy was drinking, couldn't ruin what was the most fun I've had in years at a movie. I hate to sound like a cliche, but I laughed. I was almost moved to tears. I literally found myself gasping at times aloud. What a fantastic ride! A popcorn movie that's too smart and too clever to realize that it's a popcorn movie. Good for it! Good show, Mr. Abrams! Good show, Paramount! I hope this film makes tons of money so another installment can be made, tout suite!

The last time I found myself talking at a the big silver screen was when I watched "The Color Purple". I literally found myself (to my embarrasement) yelling, "WOW! Rewind that!" So many great moments! So many great lines!

If I had one tineey winsy nitpick it would be (besides the lack of clean air in my proximity) very few beauty shots of the new Enterprise. When she rose up through the murky atmospher of Titan...Oh, what a thing of beauty! When she popped in and out of warp...Incredible! To those who may have hated her, when you've seen her in action, you may have a reaction similar to what Scotty said when he found out that James Kirk and Spock Prine mentioned her! A beauty of a Sci-Fi space craft.

I desperately want to see the film again! What a fun and smart romp through outer space!
Old 05-08-2009, 10:13 PM
Admiral

Our showing was not sold out...but then, the multiplex had it showing in about 6 theaters....it was pretty full though. I loved it and am seeing it again tomorrow. My biggest problem with it was "the red matter"...how lame. I'm not expecting a huge scientific explanation, but geeze....a substance that can cause or stop the formation of a black hole is just called "the red matter" and everyone knows what it is and what it does and even though it takes like a quarter of a teaspoon to cause the effect, Spock somehow has what looks like 100 gallons of it?

I thought that Star Fleet was pretty whimsical in the way command positions were handed out...Kirk is a cadet who's on academic probation and has illegally (or, at least unethically) boarded the ship and the Captain promotes him to First Officer? Scotty beams aboard illegally and is given command of Engineering? WTF???

For all those wondering about Chapel, McCoy did mention her, so maybe we'll get her in another movie (we probably did get her a bit in this one...she's probably the one holding the scanner up to Pike after they beam back to the Enterprise).

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 05-08-2009, 10:20 PM
Lieutenant

When did McCoy mention Chapel?